Weight Loss For Hunting in 2024

elk hunted at 252, backslid a bit and was around 258 at the end of 2023. I’m at 240 and feeling great currently, my body composition has changed a ton over the last 2.5 months even though I’ve only lost 15 pounds.

I’m running about 20 miles a week and lifting 3-4 days a week. I’ve worked down from 2800 calories to 2300 calories with 36% protein, 31% carbs, 33% fat. I’ve lost hundreds of pounds on keto if I count all the times I’ve lost and gained it. I’m focused this time on losing weight slow on a balanced diet(~1 pound per week) and building a better relationship with food. I hope to find a nice balanced maintenance calorie diet coming out of this. I would like to be around 190.

Good luck everybody! At my current path I could be around 210 this September and much stronger/fitter than I was at 255 this past September. Its an exciting for me to think about being more capable.
This is it! Diets are short term fixes for a longer-term problem. Change your eating habits and that will last a lifetime. After a while, fast food doesn't even sound appealing.

Even though it's getting late in the year as we get closer to summer, signing up for some type of run or event with a buddy it a great way to stay motivated and keep you accountable. Doesn't matter if it's a 5k or 50k run, swim, hike, tough mudder, etc... Any type of race/challenge that you will need to train for. Go into it knowing that the goal is to start the fitness journey and finish with the event. Don't know anyone who signed up for an event, completed it, and said they were worse off for doing so....

Down 15 but have kind of plateaued. Still doing a lot of biking but that's most of it at this point. Unfortunately don't have any tag I am training for.....yet, but just trying to stay after it. Had a scary health issue a few weeks ago. Got really dizzy and nauseous. After a trip to the ER, all signs returned to normal. After a few more tests and Dr's visits nothing conclusive. Primary care seems to think it might be an inner ear thing but I feel good. Have to trip planned to the Dominican Republic in July so using that for some motivation to get somewhat of a beachbody going....lol. Still mostly eating clean but my carb intake has ramped up enough with nuts, fruits, that I am not losing any more. Still lots of fatty meats and non seed oils in the diet, but the carb intake is high enough that I am in kind of a maintenance mode versus a weight loss one.

I read this thread in December and thought the same thing - 230lbs, would like to be 180 again, tired of feeling like crap. Laid a buddy low in January due to drinking, decided to get off the sauce for a while. Started eating right, working out at least 3 times a week, and NO booze. Also bought a cheap health watch off of amazon for 30 bucks and try to get 10K steps at least 6 days a week. Its been hard, but I weighed in this past tuesday and I am at 186lbs! Biggest factor, no drinking IMO.

Torrent50

FNG
This is it! Diets are short term fixes for a longer-term problem. Change your eating habits and that will last a lifetime. After a while, fast food doesn't even sound appealing.
In some ways I have been "lucky" in that I found out I have celiac about 20 years ago so fast food went out the window as an option for me a long time ago. I did do an experiment a few months ago to see what my body's reaction would be to gluten since I have a couple guided hunts coming up and I don't want to be a complete pain when it comes to meals. So I tried a sourdough jack. I have to admit it tasted damn good, but not good enough to risk the health problems long term.

I am almost 3 months into my quest and have been religious about keto, keeping my carbs to around 15 or so a day. Zero cheats and increased my exercise. I'm down 31 from the first of the year. 5 more and I will be under 200 for the first time in about 25 years. I had a bit of a "slack off" in the workouts over the last week because I was gone on a turkey trip but I'm back on it now. One week until Murph.

I read this thread in December and thought the same thing - 230lbs, would like to be 180 again, tired of feeling like crap. Laid a buddy low in January due to drinking, decided to get off the sauce for a while. Started eating right, working out at least 3 times a week, and NO booze. Also bought a cheap health watch off of amazon for 30 bucks and try to get 10K steps at least 6 days a week. Its been hard, but I weighed in this past tuesday and I am at 186lbs! Biggest factor, no drinking IMO.

What an awesome example of whats possible with a couple of simple (albeit not easy) changes and some consistency.

Congrats!

Torrent50

FNG
Goal number 1 accomplished!!!!! Saw a weight that started with a 1 on the scale today. That's 36 pounds since the first of the year. First time in about 25 years I have seen that. Now to drop another 10-ish while tweaking the diet to find a good maintenance level.

Actually had to order a new belt today. Nice problem to have.

Good job all of you. I still suck. But I did just drag all 290lbs up to the top of Canfield Mountain for the first time. Wow, how humbling and motivating.

1.5hr on 6/1/24.

Let's see if I can do it quicker at the end of summer.

Screenshot_20240601_084237_onX Hunt.jpg

Bama67

Lil-Rokslider
Its crazy how hard I have to diet to lose weight. Right now I do fasted cardio at 5:45am, then I'm fasting til 2pm and it's a protein shake, then supper with the family later. I already don't drink anything but water and black coffee, and I don't really ever have sugar much. Lift weights hard 2-3 hours a week
My wife eats the same supper as me. She's 125lbs and slim and I'm a fat 205 lbs. Lol
We don't eat junk, grow almost all our own food and eat rabbits, and chickens we raise and the rest of the meat I kill. Rarely buy any groceries.
But I've always been a fat kid and fought it my entire life. She's always been slim.
G
People can argue, but genetics are the #1 thing that determines your weight.
Example my oldest daughter is built like me, and really has to exercise a ton to stay trim. My youngest daughter eats the same as her, but has my wife's body type. We have to force her to eat additional calories or she gets too skinny.
All I can do is keep fighting the fat fight. Lol

For sure. Keto and carnivore usually referred to as diets but both can be ways of eating and many people can sustain these ways of eating for life with maybe an occasional slip up on special occasions. I’ve done both and felt great and lost a lot of weight but did eventually stop. I just recently started back up on carnivore with on occasional keto item mixed in. Committing to these ways of eating long term is what I feel it takes to succeed. You have to be somewhat stubborn to pull this off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Luked

WKR
I am down from 232 to 219 in about 3 weeks.
Better but still not where I want to be at by Sept.

ChrisA

WKR
I kinda went crazy 13 months ago right before my 50th bday and quit boozing, started intermittent fasting, and really cleaned up the diet to a carnivore/keto type of thing. Have always done a bit of calisthenics, stretching, push-ups, squats, curls and now added a leg lift and hold for 60 seconds. So basically a bare minimum exercise routine. I went from 230 to 185 at 5'10" in 6 months, and 185 is where I believe I'm meant to be. I was 183 at high school graduation and 187 at the end of AIT back in '04.

I always felt like I was a fat kid with fat kid genetics, but I can see now that the damned alcohol and shitty diet were mostly to blame. My goal is to start pack training and improve cardio and overall core strength now that I have the food part and no alcohol figured out.

jsider

FNG
How do you feel on the intermittent fasting? I'm trying to keep energy and testosterone levels up with a modified carnivore diet and good sleep. Check out Dr. Paul Saldino, he has some good tips for modifying the high animal protein diet and keeping carbs in check so your insulin doesn't go crazy. We'll see how I fair chasing Montana elk on this 2100 calorie per day trial.
Current daily goals:
Protein: 137g
Fat: 130g
Net* Carbs: 121g

ChrisA

WKR
How do you feel on the intermittent fasting? I'm trying to keep energy and testosterone levels up with a modified carnivore diet and good sleep. Check out Dr. Paul Saldino, he has some good tips for modifying the high animal protein diet and keeping carbs in check so your insulin doesn't go crazy. We'll see how I fair chasing Montana elk on this 2100 calorie per day trial.
Current daily goals:
Protein: 137g
Fat: 130g
Net* Carbs: 121g
Assuming the IF question was for me, I feel pretty great now, not overly hungry especially when keeping busy. I have plenty of energy but need to keep the fat intake up and eat smart. Probably having too much fruit, usually two apples and other berries.

A year ago, at three to four weeks into it I got light headed and dizzy a bit but I probably wasn't eating enough, and basically zero carbs, or maybe it was lack of alcohol. That was a brief
period until I added more fat and a bit of fruit.

There's no doubt IF helped me dump weight and keeps me in check now. However, the real fun thing for me was the mind over matter aspect. I kinda got a kick out of having power over any hunger discomfort. I was on a role so figured I'd just as well kick both alcohol and self controls asses at the same time.

KodaJax

FNG
I’ve tried a lot of diets. From Keto to Atkins to Whole30 to Mediterranean. All have worked at different points in my life. I couldn’t find anything that worked for me over the last few years. Found myself a bit over 300lbs on a 5’9” frame. At 51 I felt horrible and wasn’t doing, or even able to do, things I enjoy.

I decided to take control. I am blessed with health, other than my weight. Never had a single prescription in my entire life. I decided to get on Mounjaro to see if that would help. That was September 1st. I’m down 63 pounds. Feeling better every day. Now doing 8 miles every other day on the treadmill and lifting weights again. First sheep hunt booked in NWT this fall. I will be 188 by then (famous last words I’m sure). The motivation plus just the ability to move again have been a blessing.

Hard work and discipline alone weren’t getting it done for me anymore and I don’t regret doing what I needed to get kick started. I can’t wait until July.
I am down exactly 100 lbs as of this morning. I was 300.2 lbs in late August of last year. I leave for the NWT in 42 days for my first sheep hunt. I am 12 pounds short of my goal but I feel really good physically. I cant wait to see that first digit turn to a "1" next week. Thankful I did not wait any longer to retake my health.

Scott7030

FNG
Saltysailer and I are about on the same path. I started to lose weight the end of January because I entered a weight loss competition at work. I started out at 232lbs and this morning I weighed 192, 40lbs down. I'm planning on running a 5k the end of July and have a goal of hitting 180 by August 1st. My secret has been tracking every calorie with the LoseIt app and the last 4 weeks I've been ramping up the exercise.

I'm back on keto since april 29. done it 2 separate times 2 months each but in it for the long term this time with the plan on rewarding myself on vacations. There's something psychologically about not wanting to get out of ketosis as its the only way I can say no to junk food and i think junk food /sugar = early demise (im almost 40). down about 17lbs, more energy and less recovery time needed (i surf a lot) with physical activity. . I also have dealt with shoulder impingement and keto and a cortisone injection (as well as selling all my archery equipment) has made that go away. keep up the great work everyone