Weight Loss For Hunting in 2024

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Cool! What are you doing for diet?

I've been eating Huel for breakfast (shakes) and lunch (hot and savory meals), and the bars for morning snacks. Afternoon snacks are deer balogna, cheese sticks, veggies/hummus, etc.... Dinner is whatever my family eats.

I track calories and try to stay between 1800 and 2000 a day.

Link:

Torrent50

FNG
I will jump into this thread. I'm at an "interesting" place in life and feel like some changes are needed. I am 55, 5'10", and 224 as of a couple days ago. I retired a couple years ago and thought my stress level would decrease significantly, but life got in the way of that and I feel like it hasn't really happened. But that's a whole different story. Basically I am facing my mortality and family history, hoping to be the exception in the bunch. I have twin 9 month old grandbabies that I really want to take hunting with me some day, so it's time for some changes.

I am going with a keto diet and my goal is to see a number on the scale that starts with a 1 for the first time in about 25 years. I do crossfit style workouts with my hunting buddies 3 days a week and am working on doing some type of workout on the off days as well. The wrench in the works so far has been that I am about 8 weeks into recovering from a partial bicep tendon tear, so I have had to really limit a lot of what I do.

Anyway, I will be following along while we all work towards our goals. Happy training and good hunting to all.

MQQSE

FNG
5-11 and 54 years old in a few weeks. 207.2 this AM. I’ve been everywhere from 156 and running marathons and 248 and sucking down brewskies over the grill since I was 35. It’s honestly 90% diet. Nobody can outrun or outlift bad inputs into the body.

With multiple sheep hunts this year I’ll want to be in the 180’s and I’ll get there. The only way is zero snacking and low calories meals with the right makeup. Guys like me in their 50’s have slower metabolisms and have to account for it. If you think that spoonfull of PB or cookie here and there don’t add up, you are wrong. I used to make that mistake and hopefully won’t anymore.

Good luck to everyone. I wish I knew five years ago what I now know from my mistakes. Eat less, workout and get your sleep. At least that seems to work for a mid 50’s guy.

I will jump into this thread. I'm at an "interesting" place in life and feel like some changes are needed. I am 55, 5'10", and 224 as of a couple days ago. I retired a couple years ago and thought my stress level would decrease significantly, but life got in the way of that and I feel like it hasn't really happened. But that's a whole different story. Basically I am facing my mortality and family history, hoping to be the exception in the bunch. I have twin 9 month old grandbabies that I really want to take hunting with me some day, so it's time for some changes.

I am going with a keto diet and my goal is to see a number on the scale that starts with a 1 for the first time in about 25 years. I do crossfit style workouts with my hunting buddies 3 days a week and am working on doing some type of workout on the off days as well. The wrench in the works so far has been that I am about 8 weeks into recovering from a partial bicep tendon tear, so I have had to really limit a lot of what I do.

Anyway, I will be following along while we all work towards our goals. Happy training and good hunting to all.
Might look at paleo before going fully keto. Still lets you have a moderate level of carbs, but stay away from processed foods and seed oils.

That said, I had a rough week. Got plenty of exercise(80 miles on the bike), but diet sucked. Still down 10 lbs but need to get after it this week. I did manage a 65 hour fast week before last, and never felt hungry. The only reason I didn't stretch it was a workout I had planned and needed a bit more energy. Surpisingly, on the two longish fasts I have done this year, I haven't moved the scale that much. Really not the goal of the fast but that but is a little side benefit.

Torrent50

FNG
Might look at paleo before going fully keto. Still lets you have a moderate level of carbs, but stay away from processed foods and seed oils.

That said, I had a rough week. Got plenty of exercise(80 miles on the bike), but diet sucked. Still down 10 lbs but need to get after it this week. I did manage a 65 hour fast week before last, and never felt hungry. The only reason I didn't stretch it was a workout I had planned and needed a bit more energy. Surpisingly, on the two longish fasts I have done this year, I haven't moved the scale that much. Really not the goal of the fast but that but is a little side benefit.
I have done both at some point or another and keto isn't that terrible for me. The last time I really followed it was years ago and I was cycling a lot. Eventually when I got as low as 192 pounds, I found that my energy wouldn't hold up on the longer (50 mile +) rides. I don't do anything like that these days so I'm hopeful that it won't be an issue. If it does start happening I will probably switch to a more paleo plan.

I have done both at some point or another and keto isn't that terrible for me. The last time I really followed it was years ago and I was cycling a lot. Eventually when I got as low as 192 pounds, I found that my energy wouldn't hold up on the longer (50 mile +) rides. I don't do anything like that these days so I'm hopeful that it won't be an issue. If it does start happening I will probably switch to a more paleo plan.
Good deal, Ive done both as well. Some people just have a few problems adjusting to the super low carb intake and paleo kind of eases you into it.

KodaJax

FNG
I’ve tried a lot of diets. From Keto to Atkins to Whole30 to Mediterranean. All have worked at different points in my life. I couldn’t find anything that worked for me over the last few years. Found myself a bit over 300lbs on a 5’9” frame. At 51 I felt horrible and wasn’t doing, or even able to do, things I enjoy.

I decided to take control. I am blessed with health, other than my weight. Never had a single prescription in my entire life. I decided to get on Mounjaro to see if that would help. That was September 1st. I’m down 63 pounds. Feeling better every day. Now doing 8 miles every other day on the treadmill and lifting weights again. First sheep hunt booked in NWT this fall. I will be 188 by then (famous last words I’m sure). The motivation plus just the ability to move again have been a blessing.

Hard work and discipline alone weren’t getting it done for me anymore and I don’t regret doing what I needed to get kick started. I can’t wait until July.
Getting closer to the goal. Down 87 pounds. 25 to go by July 23rd!

One last week long fishing (aka beer drinking) trip to our camp on the coast and when I get back it's keto time. I'm 215 lbs this morning (6' height) and would like to be 195 by mid September. That should put me in the perfect range of 1lb/week to reach it, but on keto I tend to end up more in the 2lb/week range because I'm just not hungry. It's not a bad thing, bodyfat ratio considered I'd probably be pretty solid 180ish range anyway so if I lose more that's fine. Beer is my crutch, I drink... a lot.