Utah- what the hell?

CJ19

WKR
Been saying this for years. Unfortunately we get so polarized in R vs D, Left vs Right, Blue vs Red that we really cant see how we get screwed. Then we try to put everyone in a box based on one or two things that they think or say. Well if you agree with X then you must agree with Y,Z and 1,2,3. Not the way it works.

When it comes to public land, the federal government sucks at managing it but they also have to manage for everyone. Its not just hunting and fishing. The hunters have just as much right as the biker, atver, hiker, etc. Just the way it is. I will take marginally good managed land that I can access over perfectly managed land, I cant.

Coincidently, the SLT OPed originally posted in post #1 about bad Mike Lee and Co in UT was written by Mike Bell. Did not the same Mike Bell run as Democrat for UT house in 2020 and lost. The same Mike Bell's top priorities include green energy development. Green energy development has and will continue to take more land off the table long term for public land hunters and users than Mike Lee ever has been able to.

CorbLand

WKR
Coincidently, the SLT OPed originally posted in post #1 about bad Mike Lee and Co in UT was written by Mike Bell. Did not the same Mike Bell run as Democrat for UT house in 2020 and lost. The same Mike Bell's top priorities include green energy development. Green energy development has and will continue to take more land off the table long term for public land hunters and users than Mike Lee ever has been able to.
What part of that post even remotely comes close to saying or inferring that I support green energy development on public land?

CJ19

WKR
What part of that post even remotely comes close to saying or inferring that I support green energy development on public land?
i didnt say you did. just relax. i was wondering if it is the same Mike Bell and i thought you were from UT and might know.

CorbLand

WKR
i didnt say you did. just relax. i was wondering if it is the same Mike Bell and i thought you were from UT and might know.
I am from Utah but generally when asking a question you end the sentence with a question mark not a period. A period means you are making a statement.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Mike Lee is involved in anything having to do with public land policy, I'd really read between the lines. Everything he puts forward is to strip our access to federal lands or the sound management of federal lands.

Exactly. He has a looooooong history of wanting to rid Utah (and the US if possible) of all federal lands. He can frame it a 100 different ways, but in the end he wants the same thing.

And does it matter if a bill doesn't appear to be going anywhere vs knowing about a bill has been introduced that could adversely affect our hunting? Personally I want to know, even if it appears to be going nowhere.

CJ19

WKR
There's a common saying that's frequently used by the more liberal/progressive types here in Utah; but it's one that I really feel should be embraced by everybody regardless of where your beliefs fall on the political spectrum:

"F*ck Mike Lee"
Whys that. How many acres have been transfered under Mike Lee legislation?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whys that. How many acres have been transfered under Mike Lee legislation?

I think that's the whole point of this thread (and others); that thus far no lands have been transferred, but certainly not for a lack of trying on his part.

The real question is how many acres do you think Mike Lee would like to see transferred with this legislation (and his past and almost certainly- future legislation)?

Do we give him a pass because his legislation is killed/stalled/dies?

jimh406

WKR
Do we give him a pass because his legislation is killed/stalled/dies?
How about writing his office to express your displeasure if you haven't?

The reality is there aren't any politicians that always do everything right. I think it's better to have one that has promoted one issue that won't pass instead of switching to a different one that will be wrong more often. YMMV.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about writing his office to express your displeasure if you haven't?
I’m guessing not being a constituent, he’s probably not overly concerned with my displeasure.

I have written my representative and my two senators.

CJ19

WKR
I’m guessing not being a constituent, he’s probably not overly concerned with my displeasure.

I have written my representative and my two senators.
I guess its good to stay on top of this stuff. I have no love for Mike Lees public land stances. I m not going to bring up more politics into the topic. At least youre doing something about it. Good on you.