Utah trying to take control of federal lands

Looks like they have filed a lawsuit to take 18.5M acres. Funny thing was, on the news they were talking about the cost to fight wildfires this year and how UT will have to pay for some of it because the fires were on state land. The next story was UT suing to get more lands.

I don't like the idea of the state owning more public lands because I just don't trust that they can keep it public. I do think that some federal lands can be transferred in some situations, but this kind of large transfer I am against.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. It is called PILT, Payment in Lieu of Taxes.
Counties are subsidized for having federal land that can’t be developed and taxed.
Both correct but only part of the story. Payment is really only a pittance of what a privatized land base would return to counties with high federal ownership, at least federal timberland ownerships. Have a look at the poorest counties in California and cross reference that with percent USFS ownership and draw your own conclusion. I’m not calling for privatization but let’s not pretend this picture is rosy.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Utahans hate any semblance of government control over anything unless it’s liquor. Then it’s totally acceptable to let the state control that.
I mean I get it, I too hate the government often, BUT federally owned and accessible public lands is amazing. Without it we would be Europe pretty quickly or worse. I mean all over the west there are giant swaths of land that would get locked up overnight and would be pay to pay or more likely offer 0 access

Both correct but only part of the story. Payment is really only a pittance of what a privatized land base would return to counties with high federal ownership, at least federal timberland ownerships. Have a look at the poorest counties in California and cross reference that with percent USFS ownership and draw your own conclusion. I’m not calling for privatization but let’s not pretend this picture is rosy.
There's things worth more than money.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
There's things worth more than money.
Couldn’t agree more and again I’m not a proponent of mass privatization. I live in a very rural area that has seen a significant overall downturn since the northwest forest plan. Not to say that was the whole problem in and to itself, but objectively times were better for working families back then and it’s played a role. Either way, I’m still here and wouldn’t have it any other way because of what the abundance of public land affords me. My only point was that PILT / secure rural schools have not filled the gap that timber revenues once provided these rural communities.

taskswap

WKR
Don't worry, you can always come to Colorado. I hear we're doing great things with wolves.