Used Travel Trailers??

fmyth

WKR
Make sure to closely inspect the frame. I'm on my second trailer with a cracked frame. First trailer I ordered new and the frame broke within 6 months. It was a finger pointing game between the manufacture of the trailer and Lippert (makes most rv trailer frames) who made the frame. Finally my dealer took the hit and paid for all of the repairs. Purchased 2nd trailer that was 2 years old have owned it 2 years and now the frame is cracked in 5 places and my walls are sagging and the floor is crowned. Trailer 2 also has a Lippert frame.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I figure I'll lose money. I don't want to lose A LOT of money. I'll retire in 3.5 years and be able to go on long trips. In another 5, 6, 7 years my wife will retire. My wife wants a big 5th wheel with the living room in front if we are going to live in it. I will start out on something around 20 ft I can safely pull with a half ton. I'll probably want to sell the truck and trailer to upgrade, so long as my wife and are good living in a trailer.

Some brands are better than others. Take a look at Arctic Fox & Grand Design Solitude 5th wheels. I prefer the bedroom in the front vs living area. Go to bed once (sometimes twice!) a day, but constantly in the living area. Going up & down the steps all the time gets old quick.
I also prefer the galley in the middle. Rear kitchens tend to take a beating when rolling (bouncing?) down the road.
The cost of a certified RV inspection would be money well spent.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Some brands are better than others. Take a look at Arctic Fox & Grand Design Solitude 5th wheels. I prefer the bedroom in the front vs living area. Go to bed once (sometimes twice!) a day, but constantly in the living area. Going up & down the steps all the time gets old quick.
I also prefer the galley in the middle. Rear kitchens tend to take a beating when rolling (bouncing?) down the road.
My wife wants living area and bedroom separate and far away, so if one of us is watching tv, we won't bother the other.

WKR
Partner just bought a 2017 Nash 25C, mint condition for 22,000; too heavy for a 1/2 ton but gives you an idea of pricing that can be found. I bought his 2008 Nash 17C for 10.
I have the same trailer, 2013 version. I tow it with a 1/2 ton Dodge but its not ideal. The Northwoods trailers are very good IMO.

BadDogPSD

WKR
My wife wants living area and bedroom separate and far away, so if one of us is watching tv, we won't bother the other.
Front bedroom, rear living, kitchen in the middle! Rear living is also nice as often the best views are out the back when camping or at an RV park.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people in the PNW rave about Outdoors RV trailers. Built in eastern OR and are supposed to be pretty tough.

My parents currently have a 23ft Komfort with a pop-out and a smaller Lance camper (8.5ft i think?). Both are probably 10-15 years old and have held up well. I don't think they make Komforts anymore though.

kickemall

WKR
Any sign of water damage walk away. As has been said, get up on the roof and do a close inspection. Try to find one that has been kept under some type of cover when not being used as sun/heat eat them up. Look underneath for rust or any damage and also to see if the floor pan (or cloth or whatever is being used) has been opened. I've had a bunch new and used and I strongly feel used is the way to go as all the bugs are usually worked out. Good luck!

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Front bedroom, rear living, kitchen in the middle! Rear living is also nice as often the best views are out the back when camping or at an RV park.
My wife wants a barrier between the living and bedrooms. I suppose bigger trailers have that.

CCooper

WKR
I have had several throughout the years and without currently. The best piece of advice I can offer is to perform annual maintenance. I have a great RV repair guy I would drop mine off with annually and tell him to give it a once over. Almost always there was silicone that needed replaced at a minimum annually. It was well worth the $700-$800 I would spend with him each year to prevent catastrophes. If a seller isn't agreeable to a repair guy looking one over before purchase- walk away.

Fatcamp

WKR

Yup. If wanting really use them this is solid advice. We have an older Jayco 5th wheel we enjoy, but will move to a high end four season when ready to travel full time.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people in the PNW rave about Outdoors RV trailers. Built in eastern OR and are supposed to be pretty tough.

My parents currently have a 23ft Komfort with a pop-out and a smaller Lance camper (8.5ft i think?). Both are probably 10-15 years old and have held up well. I don't think they make Komforts anymore though.
This, upgraded to an outdoor RV this year from a cheaper mass produced brand. The build quality is miles ahead of anything else. Arctic Fox and Nash are also solid choices.