Third Vehicle?

Yarak

WKR
I think it’s a smart thing to have a dependable 3rd vehicle especially if you live in a rural area and public transportation isn’t available
My extra vehicle is a ‘05 Tacoma and I’ve had it for 16 years and trust it more than our newer ones

I'd go 5th gen 4runner or a lexus gx460 if you want a V8 and more towing capable. The gx460 is underrated and not many people look at them other than soccer mom mobiles, so you can usually get one with fewer miles and better shape for same you'd pay for a 4runner.

UZJ100

FNG
We use a 100 series land cruiser 2000 for our camping and scouting trips. Have a sleeping platform in the back with seats removed. Tons of storage very comfortable and reliable. But she doesn’t pass up a gas station.

I'd go 5th gen 4runner or a lexus gx460 if you want a V8 and more towing capable. The gx460 is underrated and not many people look at them other than soccer mom mobiles, so you can usually get one with fewer miles and better shape for same you'd pay for a 4runner.
I wish that was still true. Totalled my GX and now everyone with a GX or LC thinks they are made of Gold.

We always keep three vehicles as well. Wife has a ford explorer, I have my work truck (f350) and we also have a 4 door jeep wrangler. Nice to have a spare vehicle when you have one down for repairs and also I drive the jeep as much as possible to avoid spending $$$ on fuel for a 9,000lb truck.
Now that's funny, driving a jeep to save money!! I have a car so I don't have to drive my Jeep!!! Not bagging on you, but I found that humorous...

I wish that was still true. Totalled my GX and now everyone with a GX or LC thinks they are made of Gold.
Dang man sorry to hear about that, hope everyone walked away without a scratch.
I did some searching after you saying that. Holy cow!! They gig is up on them I guess, wowzer.
B.C. the gx was most always a better deal than a 4runner for someone wanting a bit more power and luxury.
Goodluck in your search for a replacement!

OP
displacedtexan
So it wasn't on the radar...

But I was in Wyoming hunting and she saw a 96 Bronco she liked. For sale.

It's ours now. Needs paint, exhaust, and some little stuff.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
The truck sounds awesome. However, as a Cummins owner also, sometimes when things break, they break in a big way. Trouble shooting a Frankenstein p pump 24v in a ford opens a few cans of worms. A third vehicle is a life saver. Why not another Subaru outback? Maybe an older one, you know the platform, mostly reliable. Can haul some tools, and a small trailer I think up to 2500lbs, in a pinch. Same wheel patterns a parts can be robbed form one vehicle to another in a pinch.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yeah, it being able to pull the camper is a requirement.

There were several other 4runner reccomendations, don't know how those didn't occur to me. The wife loves them.
My third gen 4runner is the best vehicle I have ever had. The large snowfall we have had this winter has proven that thing is worth its weight for sure.

OP
displacedtexan
The truck sounds awesome. However, as a Cummins owner also, sometimes when things break, they break in a big way. Trouble shooting a Frankenstein p pump 24v in a ford opens a few cans of worms. A third vehicle is a life saver. Why not another Subaru outback? Maybe an older one, you know the platform, mostly reliable. Can haul some tools, and a small trailer I think up to 2500lbs, in a pinch. Same wheel patterns a parts can be robbed form one vehicle to another in a pinch.
I love the truck, but if you're a good mechanic, it's really not that difficult to troubleshoot.

The only truly custom parts are hard parts that don't really break. Injector lines, trans adapter, motor mounts, etc...

But. I put it together myself, built the engine, built the harness, did the transmission tuning. And did it so that starter/alternator/etc are readily available at any parts store. I've got notes of what hoses and belt.

It's taken me to New Orleans, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Texas a bunch of times.

Not the sort of thing I'd suggest for the average guy though!

I thought about a Subaru for a minute, but it won't pull any of my trailers, and I don't want to buy a little one. Lol

100 series landcruiser, just sold a nice one for 15k.
I just picked one up (Lexus LX470) and second this, or can consider the Lexus GX too as they're a couple grand less. Really love it for forest roads/hunting over my 3/4 ton duramax or the side by side I owned before.

MPG is terrible, so if I was commuting much of a distance it would not be my choice though.

Sold my sxs as for the driving I do this is far more comfortable for me, plus I've got my bedroll in the back for sleeping if a quick overnight. I'm 6ft and can fit, but not much headroom for sitting up and changing.

S.Clancy

WKR
We have 3 vehicles; my 09' Honda Fit, GF's 2012 Tundra and my 97' F-350 7.3L. I drive the Fit everyday for work, the Tundra gets driven a decent amount, the Ford, rarely. I need to replace a steering bushing or something in the Ford. If I lived in a perfect world, we would transfer GF's Tundra to dedicated hunting rig, sell the Ford and buy something like a FWD Ford Maverick. But apparrently I'm too sentimental with the Ford....

My 3rd car is an 05 V8 4runner. Have had it since it had 120k miles in 2018. At 220k now and haven't had any problems with it except general maintenance. Drove it from AZ to Alaska and back twice. Have a 3 inch lift on it and 33's and it'll go about anywhere I'm comfortable going, can pull 7500 pounds. Only thing is fuel economy, like all 4runners, is abysmal. I average about 15.5. Back seats fold down flat and I comfortably sleep back there when I'm just car camping. Can't really recommend a 4runner enough for what you're looking for.

Jeep Cherokee xj would be another pick. Very reliable and decent fuel mileage. Back seats fold down and you can upgrade for cheap. Find the 4.0, Best wishes

We picked up his and hers motorcycles. Not exactly snow friendly, or capable of pulling a trailer, but it sure makes commuting fun in the summer.

I really enjoy having a nice, comfortable SUV and a bare bones regular cab work truck. Both get used very hard, for different purposes.

I do all the mechanic work on mine and the wife’s vehicles, it’s really nice for her to have a car, me to work on one, and still have a ride in the event that I need an extra tool/part or it turns into a multi day job.