Offroad Trailer

treillw

WKR
I'm contemplating getting a trailer to pull with my 2022 JLURD. I'd like to get a new vehicle for 1000 mile trips that I make for work pretty often. Trouble is a truck with a camper cap is required for my lifestyle - filling up the entire back with camping gear and hunting "trophies". I don't want to sell the Jeep and we don't need a third vehicle when we hardly use the two we have. We both work from home, with the exception of my work trips.

I'm thinking of selling the truck and buying a trailer and fuel efficient vehicle - that might give us the best of both worlds without the expenses of three vehicles.

Any suggestions on a trailer? I started searching around the internet and there seem to be a ton of options. Some of them are $40k+ which isn't going to help me in the money savings department.

Initially, I mainly want it for transporting camping gear and elk/deer from hunting trips. Then I'm looking the ones they have with kitchen areas, showers, and rooftop tents - they are very nice but seem very expensive. Other possible future uses would be for transporting a side by side. I'd like to take it on some pretty rough Montana roads into remote areas, but I'm not going to be going up huge rocks in Moab - don't know if a normal ball type hitch will work.

Any suggestions on what to look at that isn't $25k+? Ideally $10k might be reasonable, but I'd really like it to be less than that. I appreciate the ideas.

Thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you want an aluminum box trailer. Of course you'll need to add the kitchen and shower.

Get trailer brakes no matter what you get to supplement the jeep marginal system

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I had one built at a local trailer shop. They order from a company near Waco I think. They boxed out the frame and made it durable for off road. It was basically a mule for my camping gear with a rack on top for boxes, kayaks or more gear. It was very reasonable. You can build them out any way you want. Mine started as a basic 4x6 cargo trailer with a 40" or so inch interior height. You can spec them out anyway you want. That way you can start with a basic cargo trailer maybe a 12x6 or similar with a roof rack for a tent. Then you can add ac, kitchen or solar as needed. But when you order you can ensure it will hold up on the fire roads. Many of the ones I looked at had a flimsy frame not made for bad roads.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I built mine from an M101a2 Army trailer. I picked it up a couple of years before the overland craze, and only paid $475 for it at auction. I’ve spent maybe a couple grand or so on it total.
I love it for what it is. I can haul a comfortable camp pretty much any where I can take my 4Runner. I’ve got power and propane, can carry a giant tent and all the amenities for a really nice camp. The only downside for me is that it’s a parachute behind my 4Runner, and cuts my gas mileage way down. But I can carry extra gas
cfa998d066b61af65b316c4e0191002d.jpg

e4e2def222fe12a68e09f7868af9e1cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah was one of my concerns. Probably better off with a pop up camper. At least you can stand up inside it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I've always been a tent guy....but recently bought a 14' auction Trailer cheap and plan to fix it up.
I will use it like a Toy hauler for my quad, but then have fold down or slide up bed where the quad goes.
My priority list;
Insulate and seal it up tight- about $1000
Laminate floor $400
thin panel walls and ceiling $500
Water heater- $250
small kitchen with a shower- about $1500 with me doing plumbing and building cabinets.
Diesel heater- $200
Probably need a metal truck box- $400

The stuff adds up---thats $4250 right there
The trailer cost me $3500

then the question is solar and lighting. I'm thinking a small 400w solar with a 150ah Lithium battery all 12v- about $1000.

I have a house remodel to deal with first...so it will be awhile.

WBrim

WKR
I would love to build out a do all trailer like some of these. Especially if I can also use it to haul my side by side. For now a 25 year old pop up Coleman is comfortable, and a simple flat ATV trailer for the sxs.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If you can develop a system that DOESN’T use a trailer I think you’ll be much happier. Trailers are a PITA. Even good ones. The purchase price, the construction, the usefulness, the maintenance, the inconvenience…trailers.

I understand the ‘need’ for all types of trailers. I’ve owned a lot of them. Good ones and not so good ones. No matter how well built or how necessary, there are always considerations.

For a boat, not all boats, they’re necessary. For a lot of applications, I’d choose a boat that didn’t need a trailer before one that did.

Forest service and other roads beat the sh!t out of them.

For the backcountry…no thank you.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
IMHO, a lot of the budget end of the "offroad" trailer world are not built to handle much more than a graded forest road. Their frames, axles, and general build are lacking. The expensive trailers seem to be built properly.

Been wanting to buy a small offroad tear drop for the late and early season but can't justify a proper one.

This was built by my FIL on a Surplus M116 trailer. Little heavy but it handles the bumps well.

20210814_183746.jpg

Voyageur

WKR
I had one built at a local trailer shop. They order from a company near Waco I think. They boxed out the frame and made it durable for off road. It was basically a mule for my camping gear with a rack on top for boxes, kayaks or more gear. It was very reasonable. You can build them out any way you want. Mine started as a basic 4x6 cargo trailer with a 40" or so inch interior height. You can spec them out anyway you want. That way you can start with a basic cargo trailer maybe a 12x6 or similar with a roof rack for a tent. Then you can add ac, kitchen or solar as needed. But when you order you can ensure it will hold up on the fire roads. Many of the ones I looked at had a flimsy frame not made for bad roads.
Do you have the name of the Waco company that built your trailer? Thanks.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I went through a company called Trophy Motors in New Braunfels, TX. They did the ordering for me. The manufacturer was Cargo Craft. I think they are a Cargo Craft dealer. Hope this helps