Who has done the research on the new Tundra?

There will certainly be growing pains as vehicles evolve, but most of these aren’t unproven technologies. Diesels and imports have had turbos for decades. 20 years ago everyone thought ABS and VSC ruined trucks and wanted to stick with the tried and true. IFS also allegedly ruined trucks. There’s something to be said about a carbureted straight axled pickup, but I’ve been generally pleased with the evolution of the automobile.

As much as I loved my 2005 Tundra, I’m happy I upgraded and my 2022 has done as good or better off-road. I don’t miss the V-8. I have way more power and get much better mileage now. I am also pleased with my current truck’s performance in the snow and the traction control was a huge benefit on poorly groomed USFS roads. When needed, I just turned it off.

All that said, different strokes for different folks. Glad most people here have trucks they like and have served them well.

DuckDogDr

WKR
What disaster?
Should I be concerned about my 3.5 Eco with 144k trouble-free miles?
You’re lucky. Everyone that had not had numerous issues.
Got 2 friends that kept blowing turbos on theirs.
My best friend is a mechanic for the county and said within a year the sheriffs department completely phased out their eco boost fords.

I had a 2.0 eco boost in my commuter car and damn thing got good mpg but was quirky as hell.
Every time I would get gas it would start fine but as soon as you came to w complete stop the thing would die for thr next mile…, if there was 1 red light it would die once … if 5 then 5 times… but after it’d reach a mile no further issues until time to refill

Seth

WKR
Get used to more tech being added to your vehicle. Between emissions standards and safety regulations (driving most of the changes you’ve seen), manufacturers don’t have a lot of options, despite consumer sentiment. Just wait until passive interlocks come out in, I believe, all 2025 models. Unproven technology with mandated implementation dates.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Get used to more tech being added to your vehicle. Between emissions standards and safety regulations (driving most of the changes you’ve seen), manufacturers don’t have a lot of options, despite consumer sentiment. Just wait until passive interlocks come out in, I believe, all 2025 models. Unproven technology with mandated implementation dates.
Assuming those mandatory interlocks are another way to attempt coercive compliance with your social credit score ,,,? Or ohh I see you didn’t get the jab.. no driving for you

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You’re lucky. Everyone that had not had numerous issues.
Got 2 friends that kept blowing turbos on theirs.
My best friend is a mechanic for the county and said within a year the sheriffs department completely phased out their eco boost fords.

I had a 2.0 eco boost in my commuter car and damn thing got good mpg but was quirky as hell.
Every time I would get gas it would start fine but as soon as you came to w complete stop the thing would die for thr next mile…, if there was 1 red light it would die once … if 5 then 5 times… but after it’d reach a mile no further issues until time to refill
Read the Wall St Journal article I posted above. This isn’t opinion, there’s empirical data. Ford recently leads the US in warranty claims by a landslide. Even Tesla is a distant second. Sad, as I was raised a Ford guy.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta turn all the Nannies off. Push the traction button once, release, then push and hold till all turns off. Should be just regular old go after that.
Probably. I was trying everything and was running short on daylight.

z987k

WKR
I’m not an expert, but if you want reliable…. I would not trust anything that is a hybrid.

I strongly doubt any battery will last longer than about five years. The cost for battery replacement is unreasonable in my opinion.
We've had battery hybrid vehicles for 23 years now. Lots and lots of data with the batteries going over 300,000 miles.
This isn't new stuff. I don't really see how you can come to that opinion with all the evidence to the contrary.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Can you select when to run it on the electric motor and when to run it on gas? Or does the truck’s computer do it always? Pardon my ignorance, this is very foreign to me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Go to settings, click to safety sense settings then turn off any one you want.
Thanks.......I'll let her know.

Yes, we can thank our government for all the stupid ideas and forced compliances they come up with. This is why vehicles cost what they do today, because the government mandated manufacturers to comply. Just like the CARB compliant gas cans these days. My goodness, the government would ruin a wet dream if they could. Most people don't even recognize that we have an over-reaching govt. It's not the technology......it's the mandates. Just like this whole EV push........i.e. eventual mandate. SMH

ODB

WKR
Thanks.......I'll let her know.

Yes, we can thank our government for all the stupid ideas and forced compliances they come up with. This is why vehicles cost what they do today, because the government mandated manufacturers to comply. Just like the CARB compliant gas cans these days. My goodness, the government would ruin a wet dream if they could. Most people don't even recognize that we have an over-reaching govt. It's not the technology......it's the mandates. Just like this whole EV push........i.e. eventual mandate. SMH

The source of the electricity is what has me SMH. Have you heard anyone punching anything other than wind/solar? I haven’t. How do we go from always-on, scalable gas/coal/hydro to fickle wind and solar?

Beendare

WKR
I’m not an expert, but if you want reliable…. I would not trust anything that is a hybrid.

I strongly doubt any battery will last longer than about five years. The cost for battery replacement is unreasonable in my opinion.
Where are you getting your info?
We have had 2 Toyota hybrids sold them, one at 8 yrs old the other 9 and the batteries were 100%.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure about the new trucks but I've rented several Toyota hybrid mini-vans that got a steady 35 mpg on the highway.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the new f150 over the tundra and I’m diehard Toyota guy. Was not impressed driving the new one power wise compared to the F150 and the 2.7 in the ford is pretty bullet proof. Plus the interior is much nicer in the ford.
I did the same. This little 2.7 is impressive!
It’s like pulling with a little diesel the way the turbos spool up when under a load. Love it. Nice tight truck

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I did the same. This little 2.7 is impressive!
It’s like pulling with a little diesel the way the turbos spool up when under a load. Love it. Nice tight truck
Ya the more I drive mine the more it makes me smile. Awesome power and drivetrain combo. I’ve had a pile of trucks, gas and diesel but this my favorite so far. I loved my 07 5.9 manual Cummins, but this one pulls just as hard and the mileage is wayyy better.

Last edited:
Can you even buy a 2023 Tundra with out it being a Hybrid?
I am not anti hybrid but I do not see it benefiting me.
The battery is charged by breaking and it aids in acceleration. Being that I live in rural fly over country I don’t have a lot of stop and go traffic.

I am sure Toyota will have issues to work out with their twin turbo since it’s new. But once they do turbo engines are great engines to own.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
Ya the more I drive mine the more it makes me smile. Awesome power and drivetrain combo. I’ve had a pile of trucks, gas and diesel is this my favorite so far. I loved my 07 5.9 manual Cummins, but this one pulls just as hard and the mileage is wayyy better.
Yep I went from a 6.7 Cummins to this ford. Zero regrets. Just drove 3 hours to the lake and this was my average. Did 5 over the speed limit most the way

Attachments

• IMG_6268.jpeg
    IMG_6268.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: