UPS Strike

jayhawk

WKR
It blows my mind that, back in “the day”, you could get a good job in a factory, work 40hrs a week, support a family, buy a small house, afford a car, and live your life. ALL ON ONE INCOME. I know because that’s what everyone in my family did and they weren’t Union.

Nowadays? Forget it.

Sherman

WKR
100% not sure how that is a clown take. Every position and every job out there are not the same. If you think 15hr a week sweeping floors deserves the same pay as 15hr a week doing concrete I think you have a clown take on compensation. People today think if you do part time busy work you should be able to buy houses, cars, phones, afford kids...etc. Sorry not how it works. I can't count the number of times I hear people complain about not making a liveable income yet work part time at entry level or low level jobs.

Correct just another way to say the same thing...every level of job does not constitute a living wage. I guess entry level would have been the cleaner way to say that. However, I have a feeling Sherman would disagree with that.
You would be incorrect in your assumption. I agree to your statement now that you have clarified.

“NOT every job at every level” would have been infinite times more clear.

Last edited:

Sherman

WKR
It blows my mind that, back in “the day”, you could get a good job in a factory, work 40hrs a week, support a family, buy a small house, afford a car, and live your life. ALL ON ONE INCOME. I know because that’s what everyone in my family did and they weren’t Union.

Nowadays? Forget it.
Everything was engineered to make it this way. Women’s liberation movement was promoted to break up the family and have two incomes per household to tax rather than one.

TSAMP

WKR
This is awesome news. I work for a major utility in Colorado and unless an agreement is reached this week, we are going to a strike vote next week.

Record profits by the company

CEO increased his salary 23% over last year

company refused to meet core workforce numbers forcing copious amounts of OT and now want to force everyone on call 24/7/365

trying to keep us at the same scale as Texas and Minnesota when our cost of living is over double

converting to “clean energy” without giving our power plant workers a pathway to other jobs/training and won’t even give them a tentative plan on what’s to come

It’s not even about the money, it is about the attitude of the company toward its employees that live and work with the company’s and customers best interest at heart when they don’t return the sentiment.
Why should anyone pay you more? You choose to live there. If you don't like it move where it's cheaper to live. - just giving the same argument as all the guys crying over out of state hunters who brag how they moved west because how important tag allocation and hunting is to them.

Sherman

WKR
Why should anyone pay you more? You choose to live there. If you don't like it move where it's cheaper to live. - just giving the same argument as all the guys crying over out of state hunters who brag how they moved west because how important tag allocation and hunting is to them.
If companies don’t pay employees enough to live in the area they serve, they won’t have any employees. What happens when all employers refuse to pay what it takes for somebody to live in the area the company serves? Everybody just keeps moving? We’d be a land of gypsies.

Last edited by a moderator:

sasquatch

WKR

Nowadays? Forget it.

Are you trying to compare those times, and what people were happy with then to society today??

Cmon man, not even close. I’d also bet most of us here are overall wealthier than our parents or grandparents. We just have so many useless wants.

For one, compare your parents average house square foot per person living in it, to the average today. Not even close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TSAMP

WKR
Stupid effin logic. If companies don’t pay employees enough to live in the area they serve, they won’t have any employees. What happens when all employers refuse to pay what it takes for somebody to live in the area the company serves? Everybody just keeps moving? We’d be a land of gypsies.
Wrong. There would be a fresh batch of outdoorsman ready to take the paycut to go in deep

Sherman

WKR
Wrong. There would be a fresh batch of outdoorsman ready to take the paycut to go in deep
I don’t even know what this means.

The “fresh batch” of outdoorsman are gonna go in deep where? Take a pay cut and do what?

Why are boomers so bitter and jaded?

TSAMP

WKR
It means your company will hire the next batch of dudes willing to take a paycut for living the western dream.

I'll be blunt, grown men complaining about pay is ridiculous. If you're worth more, you'll get it. If not. Well, proceed.

Jimbee

WKR
It means your company will hire the next batch of dudes willing to take a paycut for living the western dream.

I'll be blunt, grown men complaining about pay is ridiculous. If you're worth more, you'll get it. If not. Well, proceed.
Those UPS folks got more because everyone agreed that they are worth more.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Now that the two sides have come to some kind of agreement. I have to ask, how many of you are going to, or have seen the Barbie movie????

Axlrod

WKR

Nowadays? Forget it.
Hell I could support that entire back in the day American dream with my internet/cable/cell phone bill! 🤣

bozeman

WKR
Now that the two sides have come to some kind of agreement. I have to ask, how many of you are going to, or have seen the Barbie movie????
I can’t. I’m working part time and I only make $20/hour…..it’s not fair. I can barely afford my vac home and my F250…….much less a movie ticket.

That is not even remotely close to accurate.... There is a reason why our Federal employees and pretty much every large organization pays COLA. I wonder why each state has their own Minimum wage? The company I work for has to offer all kinds of extras and bonuses to get guys to work in certain parts of the states. Even at that, it is a revolving door until something gives.... I imagine $$$$ might be the thing that needs to give in order to keep employees.

11boo

WKR
This is awesome news. I work for a major utility in Colorado and unless an agreement is reached this week, we are going to a strike vote next week.

Record profits by the company

CEO increased his salary 23% over last year

company refused to meet core workforce numbers forcing copious amounts of OT and now want to force everyone on call 24/7/365

trying to keep us at the same scale as Texas and Minnesota when our cost of living is over double

converting to “clean energy” without giving our power plant workers a pathway to other jobs/training and won’t even give them a tentative plan on what’s to come

It’s not even about the money, it is about the attitude of the company toward its employees that live and work with the company’s and customers best interest at heart when they don’t return the sentiment.

IBEW? Best thing I ever did was bail on them. Made bank in a merit shop.
The BAs were taking bribes in the form of safaris and Alaska trips to put our money in bad investments, and they took a big dump.