UPS Strike

I would guess we contract out 30-40% (may be way off) right now. It is starting to slow down, but contractors are everywhere. I know talking with some higher ups, our OT rate is still overall cheaper than having contractors come in and do the work. I do think it is easier for the utility to simply pass it off to the contractors and they essentially wash their hands of it. No more planning, ordering, executing which is also an issue for us. Keeping "inside" workers seems to be a struggle. Project managers are a revolving door, designers are over worked, even low level customer service has been an issue. our Union contractors pick up a Ton of slack, but the minute there is storm work in another state, they will and have left the state. We have permanent contract crews at many of our docks and keeping up with new services is all but impossible without them.

Sherman

WKR
I can't believe people complain "how are people supposed to live on $16hr part time..." YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO. That is why it is part time.

Also, funny how it was "Raise minimum wage to $14, $15, $16 per hour." then people get paid that and people complain about that again. I guess it really isn't "funny" as it is predictable that people will just complain at base level jobs about how much they are worth etc...

Every job at every level can not and SHOULD not pay a "livable" wage. (used in the way the majority concerned use "livable"...as in buy a house, car, phone, have multiple kids, a bunch of time off etc.)
Wow!!!! Every job should not pay a liveable wage? Who pissed in your Wheaties? This is a clown take if I’ve ever seen one.

Sherman

WKR
Classic Teamsters, 3 months of saber rattling and they settle at the last minute.
Not classic teamsters. Last Teamster president (Hoffa) sold them down the river with the last contract. They voted in a new president, pushed the envelope, and got what they asked for amidst record profits. It seems that UPS were the ones “saber rattling” and gave in to the demands at the last minute.

Sherman

WKR
The problem is pos adults want to have a job a high school kid does and they want to have all the nice stuff and not put in any effort. life isnt fair its what you make of it
The quote was, “Every job at every level can not and SHOULD not pay a "livable" wage.”

traildust

WKR
This is awesome news. I work for a major utility in Colorado and unless an agreement is reached this week, we are going to a strike vote next week.

Record profits by the company

CEO increased his salary 23% over last year

company refused to meet core workforce numbers forcing copious amounts of OT and now want to force everyone on call 24/7/365

trying to keep us at the same scale as Texas and Minnesota when our cost of living is over double

converting to “clean energy” without giving our power plant workers a pathway to other jobs/training and won’t even give them a tentative plan on what’s to come

It’s not even about the money, it is about the attitude of the company toward its employees that live and work with the company’s and customers best interest at heart when they don’t return the sent
Who's pushing your employer to move to "clean energy" ?

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
They got my scope. Seemed after 90s strike you saw alot more FedEx being used.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I see the problem as these companies go temporary/contract employees more and more in order to skate around paying a good living wage and benefits. All so useless greedy management types and shareholders can suck more and more blood off the working man's back. I for one am happy ups workers are hopefully getting what they deserve with this contract.

bozeman

WKR
@Murphy - how dare shareholders expect a return on their investment…….

A deal was reached and I’m sure both parties got some of what they wanted. That is what negotiations are for. Happy ending!

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I knew someone who worked for UPS. By the shipping rate they could tell which were guns and steal them

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure they were fighting for the repressed worker. Best deal ever. Those teamsters probably voted for this economy too

"The union went into this fight committed to winning for our members. We demanded the best contract in the history of UPS, and we got it," he said in a statement

WCB

WKR
Wow!!!! Every job should not pay a liveable wage? Who pissed in your Wheaties? This is a clown take if I’ve ever seen one.
100% not sure how that is a clown take. Every position and every job out there are not the same. If you think 15hr a week sweeping floors deserves the same pay as 15hr a week doing concrete I think you have a clown take on compensation. People today think if you do part time busy work you should be able to buy houses, cars, phones, afford kids...etc. Sorry not how it works. I can't count the number of times I hear people complain about not making a liveable income yet work part time at entry level or low level jobs.
I assumed he meant "entry" level rather than every level.
Correct just another way to say the same thing...every level of job does not constitute a living wage. I guess entry level would have been the cleaner way to say that. However, I have a feeling Sherman would disagree with that.