UPS Strike

rclouse79

WKR
I was on the fence for buying arrows before I shot a nock and broke one last night. I hope they get here before August 1.

TripleJ

WKR
It seems pretty likely that it will happen. We ship via both UPS and FedEx for work. We have shifted most of our shipping over to FedEx over the last couple weeks. FedEx told us that if/once the strike starts, we will be limited to shipping only a small percentage over the same volume we shipped with them the previous month.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I have empathy for the UPS employees and their walk-out plan. We all do what we need and deem necessary to advance our own companies and careers.....

But this is how I see this playing out:
1) PURPUSFULLY No agreement is made between the parties before the Aug 1 deadline.
2) Strike occurs.
3) Crippling of the shipping and logistics system, as other shipping providers are un-able to absorb the influx of business that is moved from UPS to their companies.
4) The at-odds parties allow the strike to continue while significant damage is made to the global economy.
5) After sufficient time to change consumers mindset regarding the value of UPS in their lives....miraculously an agreement is made and UPS employees demands are granted.
6) Resultant agreement = increased cost to UPS = increased shipping rates = a net $0 effect to UPS corporate
7) Increased rates are simple passed on to the end consumer

I have a vested interest in this. My company ships hundreds of packages a week to our distributors, who in turn sell and ship them to the end consumer. If the strike occurs I will need to do a mass re-shuffle of scheduled shipping demands. I will expend considerable resources to adapt. In the end, when shipping rates go up we will have to pass those costs on down the line, just like everyone else.

Not to mention, I just sent my binos to Outdoorsman's for adaptor stud installation. Sure hope I get them back!!! haha

TSAMP

WKR
Interesting.. I worked at fed ex in college unloading trucks. It paid like 8 bucks an hour and turnover was very high.

I always found it interesting that my friends dad did the same job as me at UPS and it was considered a career. As in he has benefits and retired from it.

I have friends who were UPS drivers who made a very good salary as well.

The business models seem so different. I'd be very curious what the strike pertains too.

I hope they walk on em. I’ve never been part of a strike but I’ve been among a group of guys that left a company to go to another with better pay and working conditions. Each time the company we left that said they couldn’t afford to give us a raise mysteriously found the money to pay the guys that stayed after they lost a good chunk of their work force. Weird how that happens. I’ll never understand the level of greed in these big companies.

Shipping and all things really are already way way way too expensive so screw em. Hope the employees walk and it cripples the economy even more so people will FINALLY stopping blowing through money like it’s their last week on Earth and they know it so the inflation will finally slow.

Of course, we all know what’s really going to happen is the employees will walk, UPS will meet their demands, and shipping prices will go up even more. Then people will just shrug their shoulders and think nothing about putting a $50 shipping charge on their already un payable credit card balance to have their new chinese junk sleeping bag sent to their house from their local Walmart 10 miles away so they don’t have to leave their house.

I don’t buy online i shop local so this will have zero effect on me outside of driving the price of everything higher. Wonder if people are still thinking “livable wages for all” no matter how unskilled the job might be is still a good idea?

I haven't been following it but wouldn't be shipping UPS anytime soon. In the past month, I've had one lost package with them and another (very valuable) package they delivered to the wrong address. It was a nightmare working with them to track it down and if I didn't have cameras all on my property proving they didn't deliver, they would have told me to go pound sand.