UPS Strike

bozeman

WKR
It is quite evident that many have never sat in a 'C level' seat or been privy to discussions and itineraries of such. You couldn't stuff me in a cannon and shoot me into a role like that.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
It's amazing she is still able to live a decent life. Hell , I don't know with that compensation she may be among what is now referred to as, the unhoused people.

D S 319

WKR
Yeah it’s gotta be tough making 19million/year and working less hours than your hourly employees on average.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It is quite evident that many have never sat in a 'C level' seat or been privy to discussions and itineraries of such. You couldn't stuff me in a cannon and shoot me into a role like that.
Yes it is, wife is a small business owner and brother started and runs a mid size company… they are never not working, or worrying. If you haven’t had to wear the crown I think most are clueless and couldn’t handle a week in their shoes. Most of these folks don’t even have time to enjoy their money it is 24/7 grind, which is how you get to a spot like that, oh and you are responsible of 1000 is not 10’s of thousands of folks livings, and healthcare, ect… but yes they are all greedy and should just make 200k a year

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Yes it is, wife is a small business owner and brother started and runs a mid size company… they are never not working, or worrying. If you haven’t had to wear the crown I think most are clueless and couldn’t handle a week in their shoes. Most of these folks don’t even have time to enjoy their money it is 24/7 grind, which is how you get to a spot like that, oh and you are responsible of 1000 is not 10’s of thousands of folks livings, and healthcare, ect… but yes they are all greedy and should just make 200k a year
I 100% agree with your statement about them not even having time to enjoy the money. My response is, they know what they are getting into, so they must consequences. If they live long enough, they will reap the fruits of their sacrifices.

Last edited:

Sherman

WKR
This is awesome news. I work for a major utility in Colorado and unless an agreement is reached this week, we are going to a strike vote next week.

Record profits by the company

CEO increased his salary 23% over last year

company refused to meet core workforce numbers forcing copious amounts of OT and now want to force everyone on call 24/7/365

trying to keep us at the same scale as Texas and Minnesota when our cost of living is over double

converting to “clean energy” without giving our power plant workers a pathway to other jobs/training and won’t even give them a tentative plan on what’s to come

It’s not even about the money, it is about the attitude of the company toward its employees that live and work with the company’s and customers best interest at heart when they don’t return the sentiment.

This is awesome news. I work for a major utility in Colorado and unless an agreement is reached this week, we are going to a strike vote next week.

company refused to meet core workforce numbers forcing copious amounts of OT and now want to force everyone on call 24/7/365

trying to keep us at the same scale as Texas and Minnesota when our cost of living is over double

converting to “clean energy” without giving our power plant workers a pathway to other jobs/training and won’t even give them a tentative plan on what’s to come

It’s not even about the money, it is about the attitude of the company toward its employees that live and work with the company’s and customers best interest at heart when they don’t return the sentiment.
Major Utility here as well. We voted down our new contract and company and union back at it now. Doesn't sound like company wants to budge too much. Gonna get interesting for sure here soon. We have a no strike clause, so a strike is out of the question. Pretty crazy because we asked for nothing extra, basically an extention with some raises.

Not trying to pick anything apart or argue, i just found the bolded part interesting.

With lineman rates, why would a utility want to pay OT premium vs just having a larger workforce? In my experience, it's been harder to staff projects with with lineman willing to work 5 day weeks with minimal OT. Always had to work Saturdays or guys would go elsewhere to get more hours. My numbers always look a lot better when we can staff up to minimize OT.

Maybe the rub is they couldn't find enough qualified folks or at least qualified folks willing to work for given wages?

bozeman

WKR
@GSPHUNTER so the CEO's know what they are getting into and must suffer consequences, but not the folks @ UPS that sign up for part time jobs and roles in trucks with no A/C? Hmmmm......

on another note, I am glad this was averted, hope all are content with the outcome. I also have a new pack on the way and I hope this doesn't cause unnecessary delays!

Hnthrdr

WKR

Xcel?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I 100% agree with your statement about them not even having time to enjoy the money. My response is, they know what they are getting into, so they must consequences. If they live long enough, they will reap the fruits of their sacrifices.
For sure but you have to make that kind of heartburn worth it or people won’t do it… heck I want nothing to do with so I chose a path where I put on a uniform and work and take it off and don’t give a thought to my job till I’m back at work. But I will never make “big” money nor should I.

Not trying to pick anything apart or argue, i just found the bolded part interesting.

With lineman rates, why would a utility want to pay OT premium vs just having a larger workforce? In my experience, it's been harder to staff projects with with lineman willing to work 5 day weeks with minimal OT. Always had to work Saturdays or guys would go elsewhere to get more hours. My numbers always look a lot better when we can staff up to minimize OT.

Maybe the rub is they couldn't find enough qualified folks or at least qualified folks willing to work for given wages?
Lineman OT wage is still less than having enough full time guys on with all the extra benefits that go along with another employee. IMO Utilities across the board are thinning their in house hands and using contractors to keep up with demand. We are severely understaffed for the amount of work we have back logged, as well as keeping up with new construction. Contractors are doing almost as much work as us and it has been like this for at least the last 10 years.

Lineman OT wage is still less than having enough full time guys on with all the extra benefits that go along with another employee. IMO Utilities across the board are thinning their in house hands and using contractors to keep up with demand. We are severely understaffed for the amount of work we have back logged, as well as keeping up with new construction. Contractors are doing almost as much work as us and it has been like this for at least the last 10 years.

That makes sense. I'm coming at it from a (primarily union) contractor's perspective where most things are baked into an hourly wage so work completed on OT almost always cuts into the bottom line unless you've got expensive equipment that outweighs labor costs.

Dschwan

WKR
I remember back in 1997 when they went on strike. Seemed to be the end of the world for a 15year old that had just placed an order for some new skate shoes that I "desperately" needed. Thankfully there are good dependable other options like the USPS . :ROFLMAO:

WCB

WKR
I can't believe people complain "how are people supposed to live on $16hr part time..." YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO. That is why it is part time.

Also, funny how it was "Raise minimum wage to $14, $15, $16 per hour." then people get paid that and people complain about that again. I guess it really isn't "funny" as it is predictable that people will just complain at base level jobs about how much they are worth etc...

Every job at every level can not and SHOULD not pay a "livable" wage. (used in the way the majority concerned use "livable"...as in buy a house, car, phone, have multiple kids, a bunch of time off etc.)