UPS Strike

FLS

WKR
This strike is nothing new and they sky won’t fall. Teamsters threaten to strike every few years. Keeps them relevant. They did the same thing when I worked for them in the late 80s. They always managed to come to a compromise just in time...
The part time jobs payed better than anything comparable and were a required stepping stone for everyone in the company at that time. Drivers, managers, everyone that worked in that hub started off part time in the sort. It was a way of separating good from bad and folks came and went. The few that stuck with it moved up to better jobs and more money. Reading some of the posts above I can see that’s an idea foreign to too many these days….

Fed-X until they strike, then guess bring back the pony express. UPS is like THE USPS don't want to work but want more pay. I stopped using UPS years ago un-reliable on shipping and usually when something did arrive just thrown on the carport.

Fed-X until they strike, then guess bring back the pony express. UPS is like THE USPS don't want to work but want more pay. I stopped using UPS years ago un-reliable on shipping and usually when something did arrive just thrown on the carport.
I sent a UPS package to my sister two weeks ago. Somebody ran over her mailbox out front, guess that means the address doesn't exist anymore because UPS returned it to me saying the correct street number was needed. This struck me as pretty goofy, maybe some of these cats have already started the strike in their minds.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sent a UPS package to my sister two weeks ago. Somebody ran over her mailbox out front, guess that means the address doesn't exist anymore because UPS returned it to me saying the correct street number was needed. This struck me as pretty goofy, maybe some of these cats have already started the strike in their minds.
The ups guy tried to drop off my new computer but needed a signature and I was at work. He stopped back by before heading back to shop thinking it was important and I might need it before Monday.

Guess there's all types of employees even in a union

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I wonder which lobbyists and politicians all these big corporations had to pay in the 80s/90s to get the American populace to turn on organized labor to this degree. Some people point to Reagan which is ironic because he was the head of SAG and led a strike in Hollywood before pursuing politics and becoming anti-union. I've seen a couple people in here alluding to Joe Biden helping them out but he broke the rail strike so that's unlikely.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
The ups guy tried to drop off my new computer but needed a signature and I was at work. He stopped back by before heading back to shop thinking it was important and I might need it before Monday.

That’s the same kind of UPS guy that has the route my parents live on. During my overseas assignments anything hunting/gun/etc related got shipped to my parents place, probably 95% of the UPS deliveries were mine. Where my dad works is also on the route, and if it was something he thought shouldn’t be sitting outside he’d drop it off with my dad. Pretty awesome, I always make sure to get him some gift cards around Christmas time.

Lawnboi

WKR
I worked for ups for a short time back while I was going to school. While I do think the crap job they have most all of their workers doing is worth more than what they are paid, I think the reasoning for a stike, atleast that Iv read about, are pretty petty.

I’m still a union employee in another work place. Unions can be good and bad. I’m surprised by the amount of union hate there is on here.

Those dang union workers, ask me how many sheep hunts I’ll go on in my lifetime!

I’m surprised by the amount of union hate there is on here.
I mean a day or two ago we had a thread on someone's son going through the legal system for the first time for a drunken mistake that has the potential to screw up his career prospects and life. There was a fair bit of sentiment along the lines of "Don't help him, it'll teach him a lesson!". Gives you a bit of insight into the demographics here. I'm not surprised at all by the union hate.

My latest ups driver has learned to sort my shipments. I get seed deliveries from a company that I work with for doing habitat work, usually comes LTL freight, but especially this year had smaller jobs that a lot just came UPS. I met him one day and was putting them in the buggy, told him I was just putting it in the shop.

My next delivery I couldn't find, was going to file a report and realized he had put them up in the shop. He stuck all the shipments I got from that company there the rest of the season.

Some of them are pretty good.

Or he's planning on hitting me for hunting permission.

I wonder which lobbyists and politicians all these big corporations had to pay in the 80s/90s to get the American populace to turn on organized labor to this degree. Some people point to Reagan which is ironic because he was the head of SAG and led a strike in Hollywood before pursuing politics and becoming anti-union. I've seen a couple people in here alluding to Joe Biden helping them out but he broke the rail strike so that's unlikely.
Regan was the one who de-regulated the trucking industry. Go from there.

ODB

WKR
I mean a day or two ago we had a thread on someone's son going through the legal system for the first time for a drunken mistake that has the potential to screw up his career prospects and life. There was a fair bit of sentiment along the lines of "Don't help him, it'll teach him a lesson!". Gives you a bit of insight into the demographics here. I'm not surprised at all by the union hate.

It's not that easy. I have done work for both SEIU and UFCW in Seattle and I can tell you the bullshit that goes on in those offices was/is astounding. I've never seen so much gaslighting of their own staff and members while playing the "be rich, act poor" game.

I've got no issues (in theory) with unions, but some of the shit they pull to get their way is despicable.

If I have a UPS delivery expected I have to keep an eye out behind my truck when I back out of my garage. They toss the package up against the garage door. I dont care for this as that door faces the street and my driveway is only 35 feet long. Its in a neighborhood but it's the main loop road so a good bit of traffic. My neighborhood is always full a landscapers and other vendors doing work in here.

Every other delivery service I have used manages to put the package in my screened in vestibule at the front door which is 15 more steps from the garage door. You cant really see a package that is in there. Packages get here but one day I fear they get swiped by someone driving by. I wont accuse them of not giving a dang if I get my package but it sure seems that away.

That would be my only real rub with UPS.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I worked for ups for a short time back while I was going to school. While I do think the crap job they have most all of their workers doing is worth more than what they are paid, I think the reasoning for a stike, atleast that Iv read about, are pretty petty.

I’m still a union employee in another work place. Unions can be good and bad. I’m surprised by the amount of union hate there is on here.

Those dang union workers, ask me how many sheep hunts I’ll go on in my lifetime!
Asking about the hunts is fine, until they ask for coordinates.