UPS Strike

2531usmc

WKR
Looks like in 2020 they made an hefty increase in revenue of over 800% yet last year they forced thier hourly employees to take a 3$ an hour decrease in pay. Tome(ceo) still made a tidy 19 million for the poor performance of her company.

Labor has never had more value than right now in this time period. If your part of organized labor NOW is the time to get fair deal.

Teamsters know it, and will act accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
How well did it work out for the Teamsters at Yellow Freight?

I'm sure you think they are easily replaceable.

To drive a truck, load a truck with boxes, and walk a package to my door? Absolutely replaceable.

People need to stop thinking unskilled laborers need to be making $30/hr to “keep up”. If you want to earn a higher wage get yourself some skills worth being paid higher wages.

Fyi, the cost of shipping is higher because fuel is so expensive and we all know why that is. So maybe you should point your finger at your friends who vote liberal instead of corporate types at UPS trying to keep those unskilled laborers employed.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Lol good one. The corporate types at UPS don't give 2 shi_ts about keeping those so called unskilled workers employed. No offense but that's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard on the internet. They would send those workers to the street in the name of one more nickel of profit so damn fast your head would spin if they could.

It looks to me the biggest item is pay increase for PT workers. I watched some stuff on the PT workers and it seems they get screwed. They could obviously get a new job but the false hope of full time keeps them working for crap wages. How in the hell could anyone survive on PT work at $16/hr. I think UPS could be less deceptive about the reality of PT moving to FT.
Meh, no one forced anyone to apply for and then accept a PT job paying $16/hr.

Lol good one. The corporate types at UPS don't give 2 shi_ts about keeping those so called unskilled workers employed. No offense but that's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard on the internet. They would send those workers to the street in the name of one more nickel of profit so damn fast your head would spin if they could.
If those corporate types you hate so much don’t keep the company profitable the unskilled laborers are out of a job, that’s a fact.

Blame your liberal friends for destroying the economy in the name of “livable wages for all” and hiking fuel prices to “slow global warming” not corporate guys working for UPS.

You do realize the goal of a business is to make profits right?

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
No I didn't, thanks for being so smart and giving me your wisdom. I'm done with your arrogance for now, have a great day in your world where only skilled workers deserve a decent wage. Looking forward to watching the corporate bean counters squirm when they no longer have those hard working folks actually doing the work to keep UPS running.

Every sane and rational worker understands that basic business profitability is the mother's milk of a successful business. No money profits equal no job/career. Too easy.

The upcoming Black Swan events due to government debt, new laws/regulations, unchecked immigration (cheap employees), artificial intelligence, quantum computing, alternative energy sources and war should keep everyone at UPS in a constant state of flux for the foreseeable future.

Btw, union strikes always remind me of Billy Joel's song, "Allentown."

KurtR

WKR
Father in law just retired and like he said you know what your getting into when you get the job. Some times it is hot some times you are stuck in a snow bank. Getting to know every land owner and permission to hunt is a perk he really liked. It’s like the guy getting a job doing asphalt and complaining how hot it is .

Jauwater

WKR
I’ve invested a lot of years in different careers, and never hesitated to walk away to start something new if I thought it’d better my life. Forming a strike or walkout has never crossed my mind. I just leave, and do something different if I think it will benefit me. I’ve never worked in any kind of a union setting so I don’t really understand the tactics being used. This type of behavior to me seems volatile. Im all for the working man. But as a working man Id be worried about my future, as in, how many times will my career be used as a pawn by people who don’t know me, and who are honestly probably using times like these to pad their pockets. And look to do it every chance they get. If “To Big to Fail” companies really aren’t treating their employees fairly, people need to move around, and let the free market work it out, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only city people are getting things delivered that way. The majority of Americans out in the burbs or country are not. There will always be need for a guy to drive it out to your house and there is a never ending supply of guys willing and able to do it. Well, maybe not as many willing to work as 20 years ago but plenty enough to keep the packages moving.
For the time being, that is true to an extent. This is just a snippet of what is going on and this one is very close to home. And for the record this is not a dense urban center such as NYC.

If there truly is a never ending supply of folks to do the driving and delivery, then you just made the case for UPS to not have to pay folks more: there's enough potential employee demand that the compensation package does not need to be increased in order to be competitive.

Hnthrdr

WKR
16-25 is a hell of a bump… all this means is cost is passed on to end users. Everything is about to get more expensive, A/C is super reasonable though. As a union member I hope they get them, as a customer and shareholder I’ll wait for the other ball to drop… ps if I was a share holder I’d think about locking in profits, if this gets nasty will be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited:
I’m a UPS driver. The big hang up with the negotiations right now is regarding the part time employees (basically the folks that work pre-load / sort at the bigger hubs). As of yesterday, UPS came back to the table to resume negotiations. Hopefully they reach an agreement—nothing good would come from a strike.

My personal opinion: our Teamsters president is pretty f’n militant (he’s been fired previously for being too aggressive). Don’t want to ruffle any feathers, but if an individual wants to work for UPS and doesn’t ultimately want to become a driver, then wtf are they even doing there. I have a hard time resonating with the sob stories about how part time employees have been stuck in their positions for years, without opportunity for promotion—especially when we experienced a national shortage of delivery drivers throughout Covid & we were hiring drivers off the street. Anyone working internally could have had their chance to promote.

Are those part time jobs shitty and exploitive? Yes. Are most entry-level jobs / apprenticeships shitty and stepping stones towards something better? Yes. Could we reach a better agreement? Probably. Is the Teamsters union feeding on the protest-ready / entitled-to-everything attitude of our current generation? I’d say yes, but I’m also ignorant.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may want to check your math.
You may be right but I was just referencing this-
UPS annual net income for 2021 was $12.89B, a 859.79% increase from 2020.
* UPS annual net income for 2020 was $1.343B, a 69.75% decline from 2019.

The UPS Teamster employees will probably get everything they are asking for because the upcoming election season ensures the Biden administration will see to it by hook or crook no matter the consequences to consumers. Just know that we all are going to pay much more for shipping/delivery rates. Never mind current global inflation rates. Some wise guys are probably debating whether or not to short UPS stock sometime in 2024.