UPS Strike

Curious on how it will effect my company as we ship with FedEx. It is a good reminder to order your hunting gear early. Or even better, buy from locally owned brick and mortar stores.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shipping and all things really are already way way way too expensive so screw em. Hope the employees walk and it cripples the economy even more so people will FINALLY stopping blowing through money like it’s their last week on Earth and they know it so the inflation will finally slow.

Of course, we all know what’s really going to happen is the employees will walk, UPS will meet their demands, and shipping prices will go up even more. Then people will just shrug their shoulders and think nothing about putting a $50 shipping charge on their already un payable credit card balance to have their new chinese junk sleeping bag sent to their house from their local Walmart 10 miles away so they don’t have to leave their house.

I don’t buy online i shop local so this will have zero effect on me outside of driving the price of everything higher. Wonder if people are still thinking “livable wages for all” no matter how unskilled the job might be is still a good idea?
Cost of shipping has raised many many times in the past couple years with no increase to employee benefits but I guess when they want a small slice of that corporate revenue increase they are just greedy unskilled slobs.

I'm sure you think they are easily replaceable. It looks like maybe this time we are going to find out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

To this day, I’ve never seen a self driving unmanned delivery vehicle. It’s going to be a long time before we see that.
Hope you are right for the benefit of millions of people that are in the transportation and delivery fields.

Folks in the US are getting food, medicine, groceries, etc delivered every single day by autonomous objects. Combine that with the wide-spread use of driverless taxis and to a lesser extent, driverless 18 wheelers, the writing is on the proverbial wall.

The one saving grace for the US: we are technology laggards on a massive scale.

Azone

WKR
My wife worked graveyard loading trucks for UPS for a few months after Covid ruined her other good paying job. F*** those greedy slave drivers is all I have to say. Employees treated like replaceable throw away parts and piss poor management and organization in general. She experienced at least one pay cut after being hired and constantly had her hours cut, or was forced to work at a moments notice (2:00 A.M. phone call.) or lose her job. UPS can go take a flying leap for all I care.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
My wife worked graveyard loading trucks for UPS for a few months after Covid ruined her other good paying job. F*** those greedy slave drivers is all I have to say. Employees treated like replaceable throw away parts and piss poor management and organization in general. She experienced at least one pay cut after being hired and constantly had her hours cut, or was forced to work at a moments notice (2:00 A.M. phone call.) or lose her job. UPS can go take a flying leap for all I care.
I went through something similar, several years ago. I worked preload. You have to get 90 days in before you get seniority/tenure/full time...whatever you want to call it. If you don't get those days in before the free period starts, which i think is a date in October or November, then they won't hire you for full time. I was just about to get my 90 days in and they laid me off, only to call me back after the free period had started. Begged and pleaded for me to be there at 4:00 the next morning, but I still haven't showed back up. I have several friends that have made a good living there, but, f'em

Cost of shipping has raised many many times in the past couple years with no increase to employee benefits but I guess when they want a small slice of that corporate revenue increase they are just greedy unskilled slobs.

I'm sure you think they are easily replaceable. It looks like maybe this time we are going to find out.

While costs have gone up, net profit has not matched it.
  • UPS net income for the twelve months ending March 31, 2023 was $10.781B, a 0.2% increase year-over-year.
  • UPS annual net income for 2022 was $11.548B, a 10.41% decline from 2021.
  • UPS annual net income for 2021 was $12.89B, a 859.79% increase from 2020.
  • UPS annual net income for 2020 was $1.343B, a 69.75% decline from 2019.
Even a $1 per hour raise for the 350K (over $700 million a year) isn't chump change.

It is always risky challenging the entity that pays you to reassess your value. Folks tend to think they deliver more value to the entity that what reality shows. Look at industries such as textile, automotive, farming, banking, etc. Do not forget John Henry and what we learned him in grade school.

Long story short: folks overestimated their value, lost their jobs and entire industries were revolutionized.

I do honestly hope that our leadership does get ahead of this and other areas as scores of millions of people can potentially become obsolete overnight (in the grand scheme of things).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
While costs have gone up, net profit has not matched it.
  • UPS net income for the twelve months ending March 31, 2023 was $10.781B, a 0.2% increase year-over-year.
  • UPS annual net income for 2022 was $11.548B, a 10.41% decline from 2021.
  • UPS annual net income for 2021 was $12.89B, a 859.79% increase from 2020.
  • UPS annual net income for 2020 was $1.343B, a 69.75% decline from 2019.
Even a $1 per hour raise for the 350K (over $700 million a year) isn't chump change.

It is always risky challenging the entity that pays you to reassess your value. Folks tend to think they deliver more value to the entity that what reality shows. Look at industries such as textile, automotive, farming, banking, etc. Do not forget John Henry and what we learned him in grade school.

Long story short: folks overestimated their value, lost their jobs and entire industries were revolutionized.

I do honestly hope that our leadership does get ahead of this and other areas as scores of millions of people can potentially become obsolete overnight (in the grand scheme of things).

Looks like in 2020 they made an hefty increase in revenue of over 800% yet last year they forced thier hourly employees to take a 3$ an hour decrease in pay. Tome(ceo) still made a tidy 19 million for the poor performance of her company.

Labor has never had more value than right now in this time period. If your part of organized labor NOW is the time to get fair deal.

Teamsters know it, and will act accordingly.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I'm not sure where the ups numbers are, but in our line of work we've been getting 3 bucks a year for raises and it still doesn't match inflation.

amassi

WKR
To this day, I’ve never seen a self driving unmanned delivery vehicle. It’s going to be a long time before we see that.

Have you seen an Amazon truck? If UPS becomes too expensive bezos model of using contract services to deliver goods from local hubs will become more prevalent. Those contract drivers have no benefits or unions to get in the way of the bottom line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Hope they strike and the employees get most of what they want. A fair agreement is when both parties leave negotiations unhappy. Our ups drivers here in AZ still don't have A/c in their trucks.

Nor here in CA
I genuinely wonder why they don’t deliver at night and very early morning out here. Have your last deliveries around 9.

RS3579

WKR
Have you seen an Amazon truck? If UPS becomes too expensive bezos model of using contract services to deliver goods from local hubs will become more prevalent. Those contract drivers have no benefits or unions to get in the way of the bottom line

I understand that. They are still manned vehicles. And the more people that organize together the greater chance of unionizing. Autonomous vehicles are having a tough time lately. Ford and VW pulled BILLIONS of funding for it recently.

amassi

WKR
I understand that. They are still manned vehicles. And the more people that organize together the greater chance of unionizing. Autonomous vehicles are having a tough time lately. Ford and VW pulled BILLIONS of funding for it recently.

Yea my point was there’s a system for delivering goods quickly and cheaply. I think most of Amazons planes are former FedEx and UPS/DHL anyway.

Have a couple buddies that are ups drivers. They make jair over $40 an hour. They start in the 20's ? And it's a 4 year progression with a raise each year till they hit max pay and I believe they get several weeks vacation.
If they honeydick the OT the drivers are pulling in $100k plus a year easily as a package delivery driver. Good solid career and good benefits. Hope they get everything they want as I'm a fellow union worker just not the teamsters

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
It looks to me the biggest item is pay increase for PT workers. I watched some stuff on the PT workers and it seems they get screwed. They could obviously get a new job but the false hope of full time keeps them working for crap wages. How in the hell could anyone survive on PT work at $16/hr. I think UPS could be less deceptive about the reality of PT moving to FT.

Drones will soon be delivering the packages, no need for drivers.

It will be nice, next time I forget something on a hunt I'll order and send a pin drop, have it in a few hours.

Heck they got those little robots delivering pizza in town around here. Almost drove over one the other day. It's like that, you will shoot where you look. I saw this thing with a flag going down the edge of the sidewalk, I was like WTF is that damn thing, then bumped the curb.

It's a damnn good thing all the pedestrians are fat around here.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I hope they walk and get what they deserve. I don't know squat about ups profits and don't care. Corporate greed is rampant and shareholders is all these douche bag corporations care about. UAW member here and hopefully we are on strike Sept 15th. Big three have made an insane amount of profit last 10 years. Not sure exactly and don't care. My wages have done nothing but shrink due to union concessions and inflation. I'll gladly suffer some shipping delays for the boys walking August 1st!

Baddog

WKR
I hope they walk and get what they deserve. I don't know squat about ups profits and don't care. Corporate greed is rampant and shareholders is all these douche bag corporations care about. UAW member here and hopefully we are on strike Sept 15th. Big three have made an insane amount of profit last 10 years. Not sure exactly and don't care. My wages have done nothing but shrink due to union concessions and inflation. I'll gladly suffer some shipping delays for the boys walking August 1st!
You are likely a shareholder. Seems like when buying a new delivery truck ordering with a/c is reasonable though.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah likely in some convoluted round about way I'm a shareholder. They consult with different folks tho when closing plants and shipping those jobs to low cost countries in the name of profits. Pretty sure these corporate executives would send their own mothers down the river for an extra buck. Go get em boys, hope they walk and get ltheir ong overdue piece of the pie!