Unknown tikka action mod issues…

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
Oh that's good to know. One thing that came to mind is if you're starting off as a T3 you'll actually see a little more weight savings in the action that the T3x. You digging the nitride?

I'm on the fence of sending mine in and if so whether to get nitride or elite. I'd really like an answer about that extra blind hole for the sports match rings (that would sure be nice and avoid headaches later).
Yeah the nitride is nice for sure!

Dunky

WKR
If you have any short scope issues you might be worried about, you can request the ejection port not be touched but all the other machine work be done.
any estimate on how much weight that would take off? Just the bolt and the action pockets? guessing most of the weight comes from the metal lost from the ejection port.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Has anyone sent one in and gotten it back recently? I sent one in 7weeks ago, it was supposed to be 3weeks machining and 3 weeks nitride for turn around time. I called today to check in and got weird answers. First said the lead time on nitride is 3-4 weeks so it’ll be a bit, I reiterated I sent it in 7 weeks ago, then they said something about a machinist picking it up early May (5weeks after I sent it?). Guy was friendly but I found the replies confusing and was left with the statement they’re really busy and it’ll be a while longer so I frankly have no feeling for when I’ll be getting it back (week? month? longer?). Curious if anyone else has gotten one back recently and what the turn around time was to recalibrate expectations since I couldn’t figure that out talking to them directly.

Dunky

WKR
Has anyone sent one in and gotten it back recently? I sent one in 7weeks ago, it was supposed to be 3weeks machining and 3 weeks nitride for turn around time. I called today to check in and got weird answers. First said the lead time on nitride is 3-4 weeks so it’ll be a bit, I reiterated I sent it in 7 weeks ago, then they said something about a machinist picking it up early May (5weeks after I sent it?). Guy was friendly but I found the replies confusing and was left with the statement they’re really busy and it’ll be a while longer so I frankly have no feeling for when I’ll be getting it back (week? month? longer?). Curious if anyone else has gotten one back recently and what the turn around time was to recalibrate expectations since I couldn’t figure that out talking to them directly.
I sent 2 actions in for nitride only, no milling, on April 11, got my shipping notice yesterday they are headed back. Pretty quick turn around on that part.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bump, anyone getting any machined and nitride actions returned in the last 3mo?

End of business today is 12 business weeks they've had my action in hand, advertised 6weeks at the time of order which is the only reason I pursued the service at that time of year. Nitride has been mentioned both times I've called but that doesn't line out with Dunky's experience of an accurate turnaround time for nitride, they had my action ~3weeks already for machining before his was sent in for nitride alone. No clarity on when I'll get it has been provided when I have called.

This delay has been disappointing at this time of year with load development being delayed and fall hunts quickly approaching. Even if it's a sweet product the experience is tainted unfortunately, I regret trusting the lead time advertised and pursuing this service this spring when I had a new barrel. I've resorted to ordering another tikka to strip the action from as a backup plan incase this delay continues and/or it comes back incomplete or with issues, after such a delay can't help but have those worries creep up.

Bump, anyone getting any machined and nitride actions returned in the last 3mo?

End of business today is 12 business weeks they've had my action in hand, advertised 6weeks at the time of order which is the only reason I pursued the service at that time of year. Nitride has been mentioned both times I've called but that doesn't line out with Dunky's experience of an accurate turnaround time for nitride, they had my action ~3weeks already for machining before his was sent in for nitride alone. No clarity on when I'll get it has been provided when I have called.

This delay has been disappointing at this time of year with load development being delayed and fall hunts quickly approaching. Even if it's a sweet product the experience is tainted unfortunately, I regret trusting the lead time advertised and pursuing this service this spring when I had a new barrel. I've resorted to ordering another tikka to strip the action from as a backup plan incase this delay continues and/or it comes back incomplete or with issues, after such a delay can't help but have those worries creep up.
I suspect the nitride is what is holding yours up, pretty sure they sub that out. I had UM do my action and bolt but asked them not to do any coatings, since my buddy does that stuff for me. I had my action back in about 3 or 3.5 weeks I believe

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I suspect the nitride is what is holding yours up, pretty sure they sub that out. I had UM do my action and bolt but asked them not to do any coatings, since my buddy does that stuff for me. I had my action back in about 3 or 3.5 weeks I believe
During what timeframe was this? I have a hard time believing it is merely a delay in nitride. When I called the first time they said something about a machinist picking it up on a date 5 weeks after they had it, not sure what that all meant. Dunky set one in for nitride after they already had my action for ~3weeks and his action was shipped back a month ago. IE if they were on schedule with machining then my action should have been off to nitride at the same time as his.

During what timeframe was this? I have a hard time believing it is merely a delay in nitride. When I called the first time they said something about a machinist picking it up on a date 5 weeks after they had it, not sure what that all meant. Dunky set one in for nitride after they already had my action for ~3weeks and his action was shipped back a month ago. IE if they were on schedule with machining then my action should have been off to nitride at the same time as his.
Looks like I paid for the action and bolt work on march 3rd, I remember shipping it to them sometime the following week after that. I believe I recieved it back on april 10th based on the timestamp from a picture I took of it for my friend that does the coating. So 4ish weeks. And you could definitely be right, we all are well aware UM is running behind on things so its entirely possible the delay is on their end. Im still waiting for my day 1 rokstock I ordered and some rings and a level I ordered with that action work and a 2nd rokstock. Hope you get your action or at least some communication from them soon

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks like I paid for the action and bolt work on march 3rd, I remember shipping it to them sometime the following week after that. I believe I recieved it back on april 10th based on the timestamp from a picture I took of it for my friend that does the coating. So 4ish weeks. And you could definitely be right, we all are well aware UM is running behind on things so its entirely possible the delay is on their end. Im still waiting for my day 1 rokstock I ordered and some rings and a level I ordered with that action work and a 2nd rokstock. Hope you get your action or at least some communication from them soon
Okay I sent mine in a few weeks later.

What's up with this bold part, you saying you haven't gotten the level you ordered March 3rd??? I ordered some levels too, which were in stock at the time I ordered and paid but now show backordered. I would absolutely have expected the paid for in stock items to be set aside if they were going to wait to ship them out with the action work, are you saying they didn't do that for you? Yeah I have a rokstok on order too but I don't NEED that compared to the action.

Okay I sent mine in a few weeks later.

What's up with this bold part, you saying you haven't gotten the level you ordered March 3rd??? I ordered some levels too, which were in stock at the time I ordered and paid but now show backordered. I would absolutely have expected the paid for in stock items to be set aside if they were going to wait to ship them out with the action work, are you saying they didn't do that for you? Yeah I have a rokstok on order too but I don't NEED that compared to the action.
Yes thats correct. And I agree, I was surprised those items didn'tshow up withmy action. I brought it up fairly recently in an email chain with them about my first rokstock, they obviously missed it before cause they said they'd ship those items out immediately and that I should already have them. I told them to just ship them with my 1st rokstock since thats the build they're for, hopefully that happens.

Im trying to be patient and give them the benefit of the doubt with all this, I have no reservations myself about doing business with them moving forward. Really do hope my first stock shows up soon tho !

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got it back, 13 weeks in shop time. The delay doesn't help my feeling but I'm initially disappointed if I'm honest. I'll contact UM about this but I'm just being transparent and will certainly provide feedback positively as well where earned. Issues/observations:

-I purchased a replacement tikka after 11weeks, 6 weeks was advertised, because I needed to move on with load dev on a new barrel (I'm glad I did because the feel of this one isn't good right now, see below).

-I was under the impression the nitrided action would be "slick", when in reality its sticky. Is this what others are experiencing? Running it in the raceways isn't as slick but not a major issue. Cocking it though is sticky, there is substantially more resistance than my other actions (yes with the triggered pulled so I am actually cocking it). I haven't put this in a stock or anything but I am concerned this will knock a rifle out of position when reloading for a follow up shot. Is this what others got with their nitride? Does it smooth out if I work the action a bunch? EDIT: The whole cocking situation wasn't the nitride, the cocking notch needed to be lubed better. The nitride is a tad stickier feeling than a stock action but its very minor, I really only focused in on it so much due to the sticky cocking.

-They didn't add the sportsmatch pocket I requested on the paperwork. I got a call from them and the guy sounded confused about that request, I told him to discuss it with Jake and if there was any confusion to contact me. I also was worried so I text UM the photo of the sportsmatch pocket marked up, said I received a call and it sounded like there was confusion, this is what I was looking for. I received no follow up and yet I didn't get the pocket that I requested. (Jake's email signature said text messages were ok so I figured that was the easiest route).

-My T3 turned into a T3x during the process. Which is just a little comical but not really a problem (unless there is a legal issue I'm unaware about, I'm assuming not).

-There are some machining marks near the model number, doesn't affect function but might bother some folks. [EDIT: ARE THOSE MAYBE REMINANTS OF THE ORIGINAL MODEL/SERIAL NUMBER NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT?]

-They etch your serial number on your bolt body, bottom of the action and the handle. Something to be aware of if you swap or trade bolts and that bothers you.

-On my T3 action with the modified port it and slow twist fluting it shaved 106g (3.74oz). This is just a datapoint. See below before/after, please note there is no bolt shroud installed because the T3 one is lighter than the T3x one so I wanted to remove that variable.

At the end of the day the timeline, miss on the sportsmatch pocket, and action feel has turned this process into a disappointment (I truly was excited about this too). I will talk with UM about this as the action feel concerns me (maybe it just needs break in?) but any remedial action just increases the timeline involved.

Mn4Ymhbl.jpg

8gHoXnFl.jpg

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
Oh really? I should go look closer at my other ones. Doesn't bother me, I was just mentioning it.
A lot of companies have been doing it for a long time. Most aren't as nicely done as Tikka. Usually a hand engraver with the last 4 digits. I believe In the manufacturing process, they want to keep the bolt with the rifle they have fitted it to (headspace).

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A lot of companies have been doing it for a long time. Most aren't as nicely done as Tikka. Usually a hand engraver with the last 4 digits. I believe In the manufacturing process, they want to keep the bolt with the rifle they have fitted it to (headspace).
I just looked at a T3 and T3x I have and they have the last 3 digits engraved by hand on the side of them, not the full serial number. UM added the full serial number to all the parts, which makes sense for tracking purposes in the process, I just was mentioning it so folks knew what to expect.