Unknown tikka action mod issues…

crich

WKR
No doubt these actions look awesome but here I am thinking about how I can add an AR15 style of dust cover to my tikka ejection port to keep rain and other shit out 🤔.

Side note it makes my heart go pitter patter to see a thread on here not turn sour and end up being so productive. Nice job Moderators for keeping this place from turning into 24hrcampfire and @Unknown Munitions for having badass customer service.

UM Jake- I apologize your action was returned missing parts. This entire process was new for my team and we have since ironed out all the fine details. The remaining hint of threads in the machining process on the ejection port has also been fixed in the program.

Although we hadn't specifically written in the product description you would lose a threaded hole, we did post several pictures and videos across the different media platforms including the pictures in the product.

Here at UM, we would never use Talley or any other hybrid style scope rings on our rifles so we didn't think too hard about mentioning that.

Again I apologize about the initial hiccups but the process is dialed now.

Use code Rokslide10 for 10% off of yours!
Not everyone has insta hoe or turd book fyi.
Social media is shit and I limit it to Rokslide.

You all are putting out some great stuff.

But I never would of had any idea on the stuff the OP mentioned.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Moring Jake, hope you aren't getting an ulcer over this. :p I was reading over Sadler's thread on his action and he ended up getting an extra spot milled (not shown on the photos in this thread) to accommodate the sportsmatch recoil pin due to the shorter dovetail, that would be a very easy addition to address those rings, if some of the rail isn't retained I'd strongly advocate you consider milling an extra hole.

The only con that remains (and this affects the UM rings too) is some scope bodies are shorter and Sadler said the NXS compact (if I recall correctly) couldn't straddle the larger port, not sure if retaining that red corner in my sketch would address that (I don't have a that scope sitting here to review), not sure if you got a way to cleanly leave a bit more of the dovetail?

Opening the port more on the side, AKA "sheep port" that is being advocated for here is a separate issue but I captured it in this discussion. Either way please consider one of the above options to simplify SM ring usage. :)

gcXpR4Ql.jpg

Attached are a photo of Sadler's action with the extra pin spot. Also I'm sure you've likely seen Dioni's action already but here are some photo's he's posted up where he retained that portion of the dovetail, it doesn't look bad once a ring is on it. ;) Thanks for the hard work, hope to see a chef's kiss put on this design.

Attachments

• 85f13c84-5357-4397-b6f5-b7cbb9a28f66.jpg
    85f13c84-5357-4397-b6f5-b7cbb9a28f66.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 78
  • A4242C4C-BC6E-4E27-ADA0-54987DB966EC.jpeg
    A4242C4C-BC6E-4E27-ADA0-54987DB966EC.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230201_113547.jpg
    20230201_113547.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230201_113537.jpg
    20230201_113537.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@Unknown Munitions Sent an email a couple days ago but I'll ask here too.

Can you run this program on the T3 action (has a slightly smaller ejection port initially)? I don't see any issue performing this mod on a T3, I just wanted to know if you've accounted for it in terms of the milling path since the listing only says T3x.

Any comment on that extra milled blind hole to easily accommodate the sportsmatch pin? Please, please, please. :)

You gonna entertain the sheep port discussion? No problem if not, just would be good to know if it might be a future option when making decisions.

Ram94

WKR
See above comment. Also, for my money, my rifle will weigh what I want it to weigh and push the projectile I choose at the velocity I want it to go. Why? Because why the **** not? I’m already going through all the motions any ways. Once you slightly veer from a factory rifle shooting factory ammo it doesn’t matter, pick a caliber and projectile, decide what velocity you’d like it to go, pick the chambering that push said projectile going said velocity, and choose the weight you’d like your rifle to weigh. Build it. Pretty damn simple. And it really doesn’t cost a lot of money either.

My next sheep rifle WILL weigh 7.5 lbs dressed and loaded with out a bipod, and it WILL push a 160 grain projectile at 2750. And it WILL have the most reliable mounting system on it available to the market. And I’ll be into it less the 2.5k all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you’re planning another 7-08 Jon!

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
@Unknown Munitions Sent an email a couple days ago but I'll ask here too.

Can you run this program on the T3 action (has a slightly smaller ejection port initially)? I don't see any issue performing this mod on a T3, I just wanted to know if you've accounted for it in terms of the milling path since the listing only says T3x.

Any comment on that extra milled blind hole to easily accommodate the sportsmatch pin? Please, please, please. :)

You gonna entertain the sheep port discussion? No problem if not, just would be good to know if it might be a future option when making decisions.
My friend got his regular t3 done already.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My friend got his regular t3 done already.
Oh that's good to know. One thing that came to mind is if you're starting off as a T3 you'll actually see a little more weight savings in the action that the T3x. You digging the nitride?

I'm on the fence of sending mine in and if so whether to get nitride or elite. I'd really like an answer about that extra blind hole for the sports match rings (that would sure be nice and avoid headaches later).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Melvin used tally’s,just because some dont that doesn't mean there a bad option depending on the application.
After I cracked two ring caps, I decided maybe the durability stories had more merit than I originally gave them credit for and moved to a more robust mounting system.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Moring Jake, hope you aren't getting an ulcer over this. :p I was reading over Sadler's thread on his action and he ended up getting an extra spot milled (not shown on the photos in this thread) to accommodate the sportsmatch recoil pin due to the shorter dovetail, that would be a very easy addition to address those rings, if some of the rail isn't retained I'd strongly advocate you consider milling an extra hole.

The only con that remains (and this affects the UM rings too) is some scope bodies are shorter and Sadler said the NXS compact (if I recall correctly) couldn't straddle the larger port, not sure if retaining that red corner in my sketch would address that (I don't have a that scope sitting here to review), not sure if you got a way to cleanly leave a bit more of the dovetail?

Opening the port more on the side, AKA "sheep port" that is being advocated for here is a separate issue but I captured it in this discussion. Either way please consider one of the above options to simplify SM ring usage. :)

Attached are a photo of Sadler's action with the extra pin spot. Also I'm sure you've likely seen Dioni's action already but here are some photo's he's posted up where he retained that portion of the dovetail, it doesn't look bad once a ring is on it. ;) Thanks for the hard work, hope to see a chef's kiss put on this design.

Thank you and @Sadler for the excellent writeup!

We elected to avoid the Sheep cut and install pockets along the whole action to retain rigidity and less infiltration into the action. The idea of the sheep cut is additional weight savings but I believe we have attained that and more with the pockets while maintaining integrity and reducing the chance of shit getting in your action with the wide open port.

What I have done is put a note in the product description allowing anyone with Sportsmatch rings to request the additional pin location to be machined.

If you have any short scope issues you might be worried about, you can request the ejection port not be touched but all the other machine work be done.

I hope this is a good compromise.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you and @Sadler for the excellent writeup!

We elected to avoid the Sheep cut and install pockets along the whole action to retain rigidity and less infiltration into the action. The idea of the sheep cut is additional weight savings but I believe we have attained that and more with the pockets while maintaining integrity and reducing the chance of shit getting in your action with the wide open port.

What I have done is put a note in the product description allowing anyone with Sportsmatch rings to request the additional pin location to be machined.

If you have any short scope issues you might be worried about, you can request the ejection port not be touched but all the other machine work be done.

I hope this is a good compromise.
Perfect! Thanks for being responsive, I think the modified port with the extra hole is gonna make for an adaptable setup. :)

@Unknown Munitions I'm a pic rail guy. I'll constantly move scopes around as I can't afford an NX8 on everything. I'd love to see what you guys come up with for machining a 20moa one piece rail to match the contour of your ejection port mod, (I don't typically use 2pc pic bases because the spacing rarely ever works out when moving scopes around)

Reactions: NSI