Unknown tikka action mod issues…

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
No doubt you can shoot a heavier rifle better. I don’t think anyone is arguing that. However, you haven’t done many extended range missions if you can’t see the benefit of a lighter, handier rifle.

Another thing to think about, and how I think, the more weight I cut the more I can add back in with a reliable scope and mounting system I.e sports match or um rings and a chunky night force scope. I could save the same amount of weight by going to a Talley and light weight leupold. The difference is, after a 14 day unlimited hunt my current set up will be zeroed when I see a legal ram, and the other set up may very well not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah this guns getting build for a 12 almost 13 year old as a hunting rifle and we do lots of hiking and mountain biking. She is probably 70lbs soaking wet I don’t need her lugging a 14lbs rifle around all day. Even if she will shoot it marginally better.

Archer86

WKR
Yeah this guns getting build for a 12 almost 13 year old as a hunting rifle and we do lots of hiking and mountain biking. She is probably 70lbs soaking wet I don’t need her lugging a 14lbs rifle around all day. Even if she will shoot it marginally better.
Fairly easy to have a rifle at 8 pounds with out all the bs guys are doing to make a light weight rifle. Last thing I want is a kid trying to shoot a ultra light rifle that's not need but to each there own

Fairly easy to have a rifle at 8 pounds with out all the bs guys are doing to make a light weight rifle. Last thing I want is a kid trying to shoot a ultra light rifle that's not need but to each there own
Ergonomics are something to argue for kids sake too. Once my buddy got a more vertical grip style stick his kids shooting improved. Most lightweight rifles don’t have good ergonomics for recoil and rifle management, hence all the fancy aftermarket options to keep weight down does hold merit in the right application.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
Ergonomics are something to argue for kids sake too. Once my buddy got a more vertical grip style stick his kids shooting improved. Most lightweight rifles don’t have good ergonomics for recoil and rifle management, hence all the fancy aftermarket options to keep weight down does hold merit in the right application.
It’s getting a game warden 2.0 will be here Monday and if lop ends up long I’ll ship it to McMillan to have it chopped down. Getting a 6 creed barrel at 20” and a can on it. No recoil still light and won’t kill her ears

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
Yeah my 280ai is just a touch over 8lbs ready to hunt. Trying to build one real light with a titanium can on it so it doesn’t wreck her ears.

Why does the rifle in your Avatar picture have a custom stock, oversized bolt handle, muzzle brake and an adjustable comb? I mean, looks like you are overthinking shooting a rifle. You could get a stock rifle and accomplish the same thing.
Dude I'm guilty of it for sure. I aint saying im not! I've come full circle here and often think of putting it back in a factory stock, selling that stock and buying more ammo. When I think of all the money and effort I spent on it I could have bought a ton of ammo and shot a lot more.
I did just about everything to that rifle
And it doesn't shoot any better than in stock form.
It does however look awesome and is super comfy to shoot.

My sarcasm clearly was missed here

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unknown munitions tikka action mods… things you should know.

I’m sure things will change as this is the beginning of them. But sent my action to them assembled and got it back minus firing pin and ejector,extractor, and bolt shroud. I know I’m not the only one this happened to my buddy sent his in at same time also got none of the above returned to him. They have since made it right by sending it out. The big issue that it doesn’t say on the site is that when they open up the ejection port they also mill out the rear scope mounting hole for the front ring so you can’t run direct mount scope rings anymore. Also probably won’t work great to run a picatinny rail either since it now has one screw in the front. So guess they got a dovetail ring sale out of me since I can’t run my Talley rings anymore. In the one picture you can see what’s left of the threads for the screw hole that used to be in my action. Also same on my buddies action.
Just figured I would let guys no because we had no clue our direct mount rings would no longer work on our actions.

UM Jake- I apologize your action was returned missing parts. This entire process was new for my team and we have since ironed out all the fine details. The remaining hint of threads in the machining process on the ejection port has also been fixed in the program.

Although we hadn't specifically written in the product description you would lose a threaded hole, we did post several pictures and videos across the different media platforms including the pictures in the product.

Here at UM, we would never use Talley or any other hybrid style scope rings on our rifles so we didn't think too hard about mentioning that.

Again I apologize about the initial hiccups but the process is dialed now.

Use code Rokslide10 for 10% off of yours!

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was thinking of sending mine in but I may hold off for a bit, seems like they may need to work some things out.

Did you happen to weigh the action to see how much weight was cut?

UM Jake- You lose 4 ounces between bolt and action work.

Use code Rokslide10 for 10% off of yours!

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have preformed this procedure on about 50 actions so far with many happy customers.

If you guys believe we should make a change to the program and not open up the ejection port this is the place to voice your opinion.

IMO, I would only run UM rings because they are the best option on the market, but I may be slightly biased.

We are currently in development of both 1" Diameter Tikka rings and 20 MOA Tikka rings in select sizes with pre determined gap in between which will reflect the most installed position of our rings in the Tikka action.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have preformed this procedure on about 50 actions so far with many happy customers.

If you guys believe we should make a change to the program and not open up the ejection port this is the place to voice your opinion.

IMO, I would only run UM rings because they are the best option on the market, but I may be slightly biased.

We are currently in development of both 1" Diameter Tikka rings and 20 MOA Tikka rings in select sizes with pre determined gap in between which will reflect the most installed position of our rings in the Tikka action.
It arguably isn't quite as sleek as the current cutout but if you followed the diagonal back on the front of the port a tad before cutting in it'd preserve enough meat for that screw and the sportsmatch rings. I realized these are competitor products but if folks are on the fence it might help. Again a PITA for you I am sure but you could offer two programs perhaps, one with the full port and one with this jog.

PS, thanks for being innovative. :)
IMG_1691.jpeg

Last edited:

mwiggi

FNG

Definitely would suggest at least offering the option to not open up the ejection port. I already have my custom Tikka finished, but could possibly want the Elite package in the future. But definitely would not want it if it meant having to buy even more stuff to make the rifle work.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It arguably isn't quite as sleek as the current cutout but if you followed the diagonal back on the front of the port a tad before cutting in it'd preserve enough meat for that screw and the sportsmatch rings. I realized these are competitor products but if folks are on the fence it might help. Again a PITA for you I am sure but you could offer two programs perhaps, one with the full port and one with this jog.
View attachment 685902
This is a great idea, we will start working on the second program now. I will get it added to the website right away and anyone with actions not already completed can get them changed over if they so desire.

I will call them Full Port and Modified Port, modified leaving the screw in place as drawn.

Use that Rokslide10 code to get your 10% off Tikka action mods.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is a great idea, we will start working on the second program now. I will get it added to the website right away and anyone with actions not already completed can get them changed over if they so desire.

I will call them Full Port and Modified Port, modified leaving the screw in place as drawn.

My will power to not send this action in that is sitting waiting for a barrel is getting weaker.

gbflyer

WKR

This is how to respond to the desires of a community of shooters in case any other sponsors here need advice.