Unknown tikka action mod issues…

ljalberta

WKR
Honest question- why would you choose anything other than the UM rings for a Tikka, esp if you are having them mod the action/bolt? Assume starting from scratch- I can see wanting to keep rings if you already have them.

There’s a few reasons. Some rifles need additional elevation via a rail, and some like to swap optics back and forth that are mounted in rings already. Some scopes need to be mounted further back for proper eye relief and the direct mounts are too far forward.

The documentation should have been better, but there is no free lunch chasing ounces.

@Rooseveltwrecker, if you're not happy with it, send it back to UM. They would swap your actions and refund you the difference
I will do the same thing 😏

With his screen name, we probably don’t live very far apart, then he won’t have to send it back to UM

#problemsolved

This is why I chose to use UM for rifle building and ammo dev. And anything else I can. Listening to Jake on the podcast I am pretty certain they are going to make things right by the customer and not fill you full of some BS.

Also, they did cover this on one of the podcast episodes. Not that you should have to listen to it to know what you're getting, but the info was out there and now maybe just more clear.

Honest question- why would you choose anything other than the UM rings for a Tikka, esp if you are having them mod the action/bolt? Assume starting from scratch- I can see wanting to keep rings if you already have them.
If you’re cutting ounces, the UM rings probably aren’t your first choice.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
I knew about it before I ordered. 🤷🏻‍♂️ also did plenty of research on others and talked to people who have done the mod before. Can’t say I feel bad for you here! I understand what you’re saying on everything though.
I don’t listen to podcasts ever and read the “old “ description on website which said nothing about it…. I don’t “ feel bad “ for me either building a light weight gun for my 13 year old daughter just wasn’t planning to buy rings at the moment is all.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
He didn't ask anyone to feel bad for him. He wanted to make sure others weren't caught off guard. Thanks OP for raising awareness and I don't think you're looking to whine or anything. :)
Yep just wanted to let people know. I sent um a pretty pleasant email with my concerns and realize it’s a new process for them and not bashing just letting guys know because seems like they have lots of people wanting to get it done. Looks like site has been changed for the better in description now. It’s just money already ordered the rings just hope I get the right eye relief for my daughter.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
yeah that’s such a funny comment. people have been killing shit all over the world with talley rings since before I was even born. heaven forbid you wanted to keep something that worked for you 😂
Yeah I have had this particular rifle with the Talley vx6 combo all over a few states and never had a single issue. So wasn’t planning to change that part of it.

All that work to save 4 oz. Skip a meal a day for a week before your hunt, there's your weight savings and it's free.

Why don't you guys admit it just makes your rifle look cool and that's the market? Another thing you can 'do'. It does look badass no doubt.

Jon Boy

WKR
All that work to save 4 oz. Skip a meal a day for a week before your hunt, there's your weight savings and it's free.

Why don't you guys admit it just makes your rifle look cool and that's the market? Another thing you can 'do'. It does look badass no doubt.

Comments like these are so dumb. 4 0z is a fairly significant weight cut in a rifle, couple with a stock that’s 4 0z lighter and you’re a half lb lighter, which is a lot in rifle world. You can get into kimber weight now with this and have a rifle that shoots far better, I have both and love both but the tikka is just plain better.

If you’re a fat ass then cutting some lbs is probably the best starting point for your sorry self instead of spending it on rifle parts. For some of us that don’t need to cut body fat, we chase ounces every where else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Kind of a bummer to spend that $ on weight reduction just to add half or more of it back with a rail though.

For sure. I think one gains a lot of versatility with a pic rail if they have other platforms.

Today I shot that RS1.2 on three different rifles, none of which were a Tikka, but it'll go back on the Tikka just as easily when I reload again.

Archer86

WKR
Comments like these are so dumb. 4 0z is a fairly significant weight cut in a rifle, couple with a stock that’s 4 0z lighter and you’re a half lb lighter, which is a lot in rifle world. You can get into kimber weight now with this and have a rifle that shoots far better, I have both and love both but the tikka is just plain better.

If you’re a fat ass then cutting some lbs is probably the best starting point for your sorry self instead of spending it on rifle parts. For some of us that don’t need to cut body fat, we chase ounces every where else.

Light weight rifles are over rated. Everyone will shoot a rifle that's a little heavier better. I don't get why anyone waste money anymore on carbon stocks barrels or anything else to save weight on a rifle.

Or we could stop overthinking absolutely everything and just go shoot the damn thing.

The amount of overanalyzing over superfluous things I see on this forum is insane. I get it, there's a lot of options so it's only natural.

But God forbid my rifle doesn't weigh exactly what I want it to within a quarter oz, shoot sub half moa and kill instantly out to 1200 with 2% less dope than last years flavor of the month cartridge.

Or we could stop overthinking absolutely everything and just go shoot the damn thing.

The amount of overanalyzing over superfluous things I see on this forum is insane. I get it, there's a lot of options so it's only natural.

But God forbid my rifle doesn't weigh exactly what I want it to within a quarter oz, shoot sub half moa and kill instantly out to 1200 with 2% less dope than last years flavor of the month cartridge.
Why does the rifle in your Avatar picture have a custom stock, oversized bolt handle, muzzle brake and an adjustable comb? I mean, looks like you are overthinking shooting a rifle. You could get a stock rifle and accomplish the same thing.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was thinking about this today and happened to have a loose action and sportsmatch rings on my bench. Just a further heads up, I don't think in stock form with the recoil pin the sportsmatch rings would work quite as well with this mod, the milling will remove the dovetail approximately in the center of the rear screw so you're not getting the full clamping surface intended and TBD how that impacts the torque of that rear screw which is half unsupported.

If you drilled a second hole in the ring further back to move the pin to and moved the ring forward a bit then it'd be good to go. Just something else to be aware of. For what its worth my Tikka M695 doesn't have a spot for the recoil pin and it works fine with sportsmatch just on the dovetail alone.

Edit: or if the slot milling program gets modified to leave that other screw hole you'd be good to go with the sportsmatch as is still.
MKcXjD9l.jpg

ljalberta

WKR

Brother, you know you’re on a forum about hunting gear right? And a sub forum about firearms for hunting right?

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
I was thinking about this today and happened to have a loose action and sportsmatch rings on my bench. Just a further heads up, I don't think in stock form with the recoil pin the sportsmatch rings would work quite as well with this mod, the milling will remove the dovetail approximately in the center of the rear screw so you're not getting the full clamping surface intended and TBD how that impacts the torque of that rear screw which is half unsupported.

If you drilled a second hole in the ring further back to move the pin to and moved the ring forward a bit then it'd be good to go. Just something else to be aware of. For what its worth my Tikka M695 doesn't have a spot for the recoil pin and it works fine with sportsmatch just on the dovetail alone.

Edit: or if the slot milling program gets modified to leave that other screw hole you'd be good to go with the sportsmatch as is still.
MKcXjD9l.jpg
See this kinda thing is why I wanted to get this thread going. Get the information out to the guys planning to spend the money.

Jon Boy

WKR
Light weight rifles are over rated. Everyone will shoot a rifle that's a little heavier better. I don't get why anyone waste money anymore on carbon stocks barrels or anything else to save weight on a rifle.

No doubt you can shoot a heavier rifle better. I don’t think anyone is arguing that. However, you haven’t done many extended range missions if you can’t see the benefit of a lighter, handier rifle.

Another thing to think about, and how I think, the more weight I cut the more I can add back in with a reliable scope and mounting system I.e sports match or um rings and a chunky night force scope. I could save the same amount of weight by going to a Talley and light weight leupold. The difference is, after a 14 day unlimited hunt my current set up will be zeroed when I see a legal ram, and the other set up may very well not.

Jon Boy

WKR

See above comment. Also, for my money, my rifle will weigh what I want it to weigh and push the projectile I choose at the velocity I want it to go. Why? Because why the **** not? I’m already going through all the motions any ways. Once you slightly veer from a factory rifle shooting factory ammo it doesn’t matter, pick a caliber and projectile, decide what velocity you’d like it to go, pick the chambering that push said projectile going said velocity, and choose the weight you’d like your rifle to weigh. Build it. Pretty damn simple. And it really doesn’t cost a lot of money either.

My next sheep rifle WILL weigh 7.5 lbs dressed and loaded with out a bipod, and it WILL push a 160 grain projectile at 2750. And it WILL have the most reliable mounting system on it available to the market. And I’ll be into it less the 2.5k all in.