Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Loper

WKR
Wildcat,

It's very much possible to build a straight-pull folder. Below is my bolt-action 6mm ARC. Parts used were:

--16" BSF barrel without gas port
--Slick side aluminum upper
--Wiland USA PCC handguard
--Kaiser-US polymer lower
--Folding AGP Arms stock
--Aero mount w/ Weaver 4x28 Classic
--TriggerTech trigger
--Nottingham Tactical ti charging handle

The only custom work was done by Ned Christiansen (m-guns.com). Ned chopped the carrier, threaded it for the charging handle, and milled the slot in the upper.

It's a very cool build, assembled not for low weight but utility. After using a folding chassis rifle for hunting the past few years, I wanted an even more compact option for strapping to my pack. It weighs in the low 4s and shoots ridiculously well from a lightweight Leupold ARCA tripod. The only negative is it's not easy to cycle. That's why I'm having a Shaw .223 barrel built right now.

PM me if you'd like more info.
Does it weigh in the low 4’s even with the mount and scope? Or is that weight the bare rifle?

Also, what scope is that? Is it the SFWA ultralight?

Does it weigh in the low 4’s even with the mount and scope? Or is that weight the bare rifle?

Also, what scope is that? Is it the SFWA ultralight?
Just tossed the rifle on the scale. With the Weaver 4x28 Classic (a rimfire scope I use for centerfires), Aero mount, SRS ARCA rail, and empty 10-round PMAG, which I find works great for a few rounds, weight is 4 pounds, 15 ounces.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
.... With the Weaver 4x28 Classic (a rimfire scope I use for centerfires)....
I think this is probably a really good option.

I've just been considering doing the same with a Leupold 4x28. A 7.5 oz scope with enough magnification for 99% of the shots I take. With a bdc reticle installed I think it would work really well. Lightweight, compact, simple and durable.

Last edited:
I've just been considering doing the same with a Leupold 4x28. A 7.5 oz scope with enough magnification for 99% of the shots I take. With a bdc reticle installed I think it would work really well. Lightweight, compact, simple and durable.
Great plan. Like the Weaver 4x28, that Leupold is an adorable little scope. If you find a company to put in a custom reticle, please let me know. I'd be all about that. An ultralight, fixed-power scope with a basic reticle with half-mil hashmarks would be so versatile.

Floridave

FNG
Yes I’d love to find somewhere that could update the reticle on my 4x Leupold also. ( and my 2.5-8). Both are super light and useful little scopes but some type bdc or mil dot marks would make them so much more useful. It’s why I rarely use them anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

Regarding the reticle: She may be able to do that for you guys. Let me know if so. I'd be interested as well.

Is the Weaver still in production? I was actually looking yesterday but couldn't find anything currently in production. Fixed 4x just aren't around much anymore at all I guess, but ultralight scopes seem to make sense on ultralight rifles.

Yes I’d love to find somewhere that could update the reticle on my 4x Leupold also. ( and my 2.5-8). Bothe are super light and useful little scopes but some type bdc of mil dot marks would make them so much more useful. It’s why I rarely use them anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Weaver is no longer in production. I snag used 4x28 and 6x38 scopes for $100 to $150 when they pop up on auction sites.

A few years back, I had a custom Tactical Milling Reticle installed in a Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36. To me, that's as close as you can get to a lightweight yet useful scope for precision shooting out to moderate distance. It baffles me how few options there are in lightweight scopes.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
That 2.5-8 is good one. Looks like a reticle from the above though would be around $250-$275. A friend just checked on putting one in one of his scopes, likely the same 2.5-8 you mentioned. Kind of an expensive upgrade for a fixed 4x....

A few years back, I had a custom Tactical Milling Reticle installed in a Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36. To me, that's as close as you can get to a lightweight yet useful scope for precision shooting out to moderate distance. It baffles me how few options there are in lightweight scopes.
FWIW, I sent my VX3HD 2.5-8x36 off to go through the Rokslide zero retention evaluation. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the SWFA 2.5-10x32 which has already gone through the eval.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
FWIW, I sent my VX3HD 2.5-8x36 off to go through the Rokslide zero retention evaluation. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the SWFA 2.5-10x32 which has already gone through the eval.
Not to get too far off topic, but...

How did your 2.5-10 work out? Mine was great for (just) a couple of months, but has seemed to crap out on me already. Won't hold zero and won't track. Sending it back for now. I wasn't too thrilled with the eye relief/eye box on 10x, so not even sure if I'll keep using it, especially if I can't trust its reliability...thus my thinking about a super simple/reliable fixed 4x over the last few days...

Not to get too far off topic, but...

How did your 2.5-10 work out? Mine was great for (just) a couple of months, but has seemed to crap out on me already. Won't hold zero and won't track. Sending it back for now. I wasn't too thrilled with the eye relief/eye box on 10x, so not even sure if I'll keep using it, especially if I can't trust its reliability...thus my thinking about a super simple/reliable fixed 4x over the last few days...
Oh, sorry, I could have made that more clear--I don't have an SWFA 2.5-10. I'm just curious to see how the Leupold compares in performance to that model which was already subjected to the same test (Eval is in the Long Range section of the forum)

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Thanks for the clarification on the scope and the thread.. Curious to see how your 2.5-8 does now that I've checked out that thread.

40tude, I'm looking forward to hearing about your solo build and how it works out.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
My first straight pull AR was a 350 Legend. It cycled fine but that wasn't a Solo build. I've not tried it on a Solo yet. So...most likely, yes, but on the 30 HRT I did notice an extraction difference between that full mass carrier straight pull (same as I used with the 350) and the Solo build...so I guess that's a -maybe- not. IDK either.

When I get time in the next couple of weeks I'll throw that 350 barrel on a spare Solo and let you know how it functions.
Oakridge,

Just got a chance to try the 350 Legend in the Solo. Extraction was super easy, as easy as anything I've tried...recoil was not...probably felt about like a light 20GA. Not bad at all, more of a shotgun like shove. But more than the HAMR for sure. Was kind of entertaining actually.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
The ease of extraction with the 350 Legend made me think the 6mm MAX would probably function well too. Same case as the 350.

Marshfly

WKR
Is this a brand new scope or one that you have been using on a rifle for a while?

BLJ

WKR
Commendable to donate a scope like that. For sure.
I’m interested to see how it does. The size and magnification range for those are really appealing.

Oakridge

FNG
Oakridge,

Just got a chance to try the 350 Legend in the Solo. Extraction was super easy, as easy as anything I've tried...recoil was not...probably felt about like a light 20GA. Not bad at all, more of a shotgun like shove. But more than the HAMR for sure. Was kind of entertaining actually.
Thank you for trying it out! I’m going to slowly start acquiring parts!