Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Oakridge

FNG
My first straight pull AR was a 350 Legend. It cycled fine but that wasn't a Solo build. I've not tried it on a Solo yet. So...most likely, yes, but on the 30 HRT I did notice an extraction difference between that full mass carrier straight pull (same as I used with the 350) and the Solo build...so I guess that's a -maybe- not. IDK either.

When I get time in the next couple of weeks I'll throw that 350 barrel on a spare Solo and let you know how it functions.
That’s awesome, thank you!

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Has anyone done a build using a 223 based 6mm or 257? There is a wildcat called 25-45 Sharps that looks interesting. I'm intrigued to do one of these builds, I am not a big black gun/ AR guy though.
I've not, but it should work fine. There's also 6x45 MDWS 6mm Mongoose and 277 Wolverine, BC Precision 6mm Max (necked down 350 Legend) and others as well that should work well in this kind of a setup.

Every few years, I get the urge to build a .25-45 Sharps. For hunting, it's a sweetheart of a round that mirrors original .250-3000 ballistics. Quarter-bore bullet selection sucks compared to 6mm, but so what? For hunting, it would be fine.

If you're not into "black guns," here's a simple solution: spray paint! In all seriousness, a .25-45 Sharps build on a tiny bolt-action (Howa Mini, CZ 527, Sako L461) would be wicked.

What I should have said is that I haven’t played much with the AR platform, thus not very familiar with them. I’m likely going to make a go at be of these super lite AR bolt guns. More questions to come…..

Carbon 15 lowers are back in stock as well…
I called yesterday morning, they said they were out, unknown delivery date. The website say back in stock but when you try to put in basket they are out of stock. I plan to call next week.

Also, the SOLO 300 website is down, they are aware and working on it and said orders will be accepted once it’s back up .

Stumbled into this thread after mentally building a Ruger ranch suppressor host in 300BLK last night. I’m thinking this is the way. Good thing solo300s website is down for my wallets sake. 😂

40tude

Lil-Rokslider
I called yesterday morning, they said they were out, unknown delivery date. The website say back in stock but when you try to put in basket they are out of stock. I plan to call next week.

Also, the SOLO 300 website is down, they are aware and working on it and said orders will be accepted once it’s back up .
Order was accepted

I tried to put an upper in my cart at Solo 300 3 days ago and it wouldn’t process. Next day sight is down.
Anybody have any info on New Frontier Armory carbon lowers?

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for posting. Really cool setups.

I probably know the answer to this but I’ll put it out there anyway.
Anyone use a Bear Creek side charger?
The specs have them pretty heavy on there site but that includes a full gas system and forearm.
For $200ish, maybe worth a try??

Thanks again OP.

I used the upper and side charging bolt for a build. You could skeletonize the bolt to cut weight. Has run great so far. I really like the side charger.

I bought some of xtra blem side charging uppers and swap out the bolt on a couple rifles to have different barrel/handguard options.

Not to derail this thread, but has anyone played with the AR10 platform for a similar build? That way one could utilize the 308 family of cartridges (260, 7-08, 308, 338-08, 358...) for a bit more umph. I see that there are Carbon lowers for the AR10 as well.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I tried to put an upper in my cart at Solo 300 3 days ago and it wouldn’t process. Next day sight is down.
Anybody have any info on New Frontier Armory carbon lowers?
I had one crack on top of the buffer tower. They replaced it no problem and running the replacement on my lightweight gasser. No problems at all with that so far, but doesn't get used very often either. I think if you're very careful not to over torque you castle nut they're probably okay. That said, I was also told they're no longer "carbon" lowers but using nylon 66 and may not be as strong as previous uppers. That's old info though so could be outdated, IDK. They are a bit lighter than TN Arms, FWIW.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Not to derail this thread, but has anyone played with the AR10 platform for a similar build? That way one could utilize the 308 family of cartridges (260, 7-08, 308, 338-08, 358...) for a bit more umph. I see that there are Carbon lowers for the AR10 as well.
I've looked into that possibility. Everything, including barrels, are considerably heavier in the AR10 platform. I couldn't find a practical solution that was any lighter than my lightweight bolt in 308, so made no practical sense in my case.

Extraction in anything other than a gasser might be a no-go as well, IDK. AR15 platform seems to be the only way to an "Ultralight Ultralight" rifle, but I have seen some reasonably light AR10 builds. I'm just not interested in the AR10 platform for hunting for the sake of running an AR. Given roughly equal weight, I prefer a bolt platform.

BLJ

WKR
I used the upper and side charging bolt for a build. You could skeletonize the bolt to cut weight. Has run great so far. I really like the side charger.

I bought some of xtra blem side charging uppers and swap out the bolt on a couple rifles to have different barrel/handguard options.
No issues with the upper/BCG as a gas gun setup? Should be fine for a bolt gun then. I would think.

Floridave

FNG

I also have one of the BCA side charge uppers. It was either on sale or a blemish for $99 for upper and bcg. It’s worked fine for me, but I’m running it gassed and with a 20 inch varmint/bull barrel, so ultralight it ain’t .
My notes show weight of the upper and supplied bcg is 22.8 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
I also have one of the BCA side charge uppers. It was either on sale or a blemish for $99 for upper and bcg. It’s worked fine for me, but I’m running it gassed and with a 20 inch varmint/bull barrel, so ultralight it ain’t .
My notes show weight of the upper and supplied bcg is 22.8 oz.

The weight is just bare upper and BCG? No barrel? Thanks.

Floridave

FNG
Yes.

These are the separated weights of mine.

Bear creek side charge upper 10.3 oz Stripped
Bear creek side charge Bcg 12.5 oz

BCA upper with bcg. 22.8 oz

wildcat33

WKR
Ive got a mind to get something ultralight with a folding stock and 16" barrel. My best current option looks like the sig cross. But Ive also looked at the pork sword offerings and other chassis options.

Im not that familiar with AR stuff. Is it possible to rig up a straight pull upper with a folding stock?