Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Ive got a mind to get something ultralight with a folding stock and 16" barrel. My best current option looks like the sig cross. But Ive also looked at the pork sword offerings and other chassis options.

Im not that familiar with AR stuff. Is it possible to rig up a straight pull upper with a folding stock?
Yes, a folding stock works fine with the Solo. The bolt carrier does not enter the buffer tube at all, so any kind of stock works. Stock will be heavier, but can still be a lightweight build.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Regarding an AR10 build:

Here's a very lightweight AR10 build (the lightest I've seen). -Much- more expensive than the AR15 platform I'm doing and not much lighter than my 308 bolt rifle with a 22" barrel. I think my bolt rifle would be even lighter than this AR10 if I cut the barrel to 16" like this AR10 build.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No issues with the upper/BCG as a gas gun setup? Should be fine for a bolt gun then. I would think.
I would have no problem running it as a bolt gun. It is way easier to cycle than a rear charger, ergonomically speaking.

If you aren't running it as a gas gun, there is room to lighten the upper and the bolt to bring weight down. When I get my mill up and running, I intend to lighten up the BCA bolt and skeletonize on some.

BLJ

WKR
I would have no problem running it as a bolt gun. It is way easier to cycle than a rear charger, ergonomically speaking.

If you aren't running it as a gas gun, there is room to lighten the upper and the bolt to bring weight down. When I get my mill up and running, I intend to lighten up the BCA bolt and skeletonize on some.
I’d be interested in seeing the machine work when that time comes. Thanks.

Good news, the TN Arms Carbon lowers are back in stock- also the SOLO 300 web site is back up and running as of a few moments ago.

More packages on the way and a depleted bank account!

Trying real hard not to buy the 6” 300blk upper. Planning on a folding stock, jag composite rail and a primary arms micro prism sight. Might not be super ultra light with the stock but the compactness will benefit for a farm gun. The weight on the PA sight is only 8 ounces. My original plan was thermal but now this just seems too fun.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trying real hard not to buy the 6” 300blk upper. Planning on a folding stock, jag composite rail and a primary arms micro prism sight. Might not be super ultra light with the stock but the compactness will benefit for a farm gun. The weight on the PA sight is only 8 ounces. My original plan was thermal but now this just seems too fun.
Dude, so much fun! Not light, so a bit off topic, but I have a 6inch 300 Blk with suppressor that fits inside a 12" handguard with folder incorporated into the lower.

If I lived back east, it would be the only gun I hunted with for shots inside 100 yards. I might run a little longer barrel or change to a .223. I would still consider running one as a "bolt gun" if I couldn't run it as a semi-auto because of any crazy state laws.

Has anyone done a build using a 223 based 6mm or 257? There is a wildcat called 25-45 Sharps that looks interesting. I'm intrigued to do one of these builds, I am not a big black gun/ AR guy though.
BC Precision is working on a 6mm based on the .223 cartridge due to the lack of material on the bolt for your Grendel-based cartridges.

6mm Max

I don't know anything about BC Precision, but SOLGW is working with them on the rifle and they have a great reputation in the AR world.

Dude, so much fun! Not light, so a bit off topic, but I have a 6inch 300 Blk with suppressor that fits inside a 12" handguard with folder incorporated into the lower.

That’s what I was thinking. Not ultra ultra lightweight but plenty to offset the can. Wasn’t going to do the over the suppressor handguard but now I might. Haven’t done that yet and I like the look. Dedicate a lightweight compact suppressor for it and profit. Well minus profit in my bank account.

_S_R_

FNG
Thanks all for your homework Im going to copy. Few things to finalize left.
can I replace bolt head to fit 6 arc? Otherwise I’ll go with 300 hamr.
Folding stock with extra 6oz of not?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
You can certainly run a different bolt head, but not sure how well the bigger case will extract. As I wrote, I had sticking with the 30 HRT. 6 ARC may or may not work well. If you have or can borrow a barrel to try it first, that would be the best bet.

300 HAM'R has worked flawlessly. I'd have no reservations on that one.

Stock choices are mostly personal preference I guess. Folding heaviest, but for some would be worth the convenience. A good compromise with weight and convenience is the stock I mentioned in build #2, I think. More convenient than the A2 setup, but lighter than any folders I'm aware of. Probably what I'll end up with on the builds I eventually settle on.

Ive got a mind to get something ultralight with a folding stock and 16" barrel. My best current option looks like the sig cross. But Ive also looked at the pork sword offerings and other chassis options.

Im not that familiar with AR stuff. Is it possible to rig up a straight pull upper with a folding stock?
Wildcat,

It's very much possible to build a straight-pull folder. Below is my bolt-action 6mm ARC. Parts used were:

--16" BSF barrel without gas port
--Slick side aluminum upper
--Wiland USA PCC handguard
--Kaiser-US polymer lower
--Folding AGP Arms stock
--Aero mount w/ Weaver 4x28 Classic
--TriggerTech trigger
--Nottingham Tactical ti charging handle

The only custom work was done by Ned Christiansen (m-guns.com). Ned chopped the carrier, threaded it for the charging handle, and milled the slot in the upper.

It's a very cool build, assembled not for low weight but utility. After using a folding chassis rifle for hunting the past few years, I wanted an even more compact option for strapping to my pack. It weighs in the low 4s and shoots ridiculously well from a lightweight Leupold ARCA tripod. The only negative is it's not easy to cycle. That's why I'm having a Shaw .223 barrel built right now.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 116
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
t's a very cool build, assembled not for low weight but utility. After using a folding chassis rifle for hunting the past few years, I wanted an even more compact option for strapping to my pack. It weighs in the low 4s and shoots ridiculously well from a lightweight Leupold ARCA tripod. The only negative is it's not easy to cycle. That's why I'm having a Shaw .223 barrel built right now.

PM me if you'd like more info.
Can you describe the extraction with that build? I'm curious if it was about the same as my issues with the HRT. In my case, I don't recall having to hit the bolt with anything, but did have to un-shoulder the rifle and hit the bolt with the palm of my hand. Total no-go in my case.

I'm really interested in that Shaw barrel. If it's 19oz or less, do you think you could talk them into making two?!?! At this point, I'm satisfied enough with this build idea that I'd buy dedicated barrels in at least 5.56 and 300 HAM'R. I'm really just not seeing that much use for my lightweight gasser for most of the hunting I do. May just become the snowmachining-looking-for-wolves rifle.

With factory Hornady 6mm ARC rounds, chambering is a moderate palm slap. Extraction of live rounds is easy. With fired cases, extraction gets harder. Again, a palm slap or strong jerk.

According to Shaw, they were going to build more than one straight-pull barrel and list them on their website. I don't know the production numbers or weight though.

40tude

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone that’s ordered from solo in the last couple weeks received any sort of shipping information or received their order? It would be less frustrating if there was contact info on the site….
Thanks

The Guide

WKR
Has anyone that’s ordered from solo in the last couple weeks received any sort of shipping information or received their order? It would be less frustrating if there was contact info on the site….
Thanks
Nothing since my order on the 29th. I have been talking to his on Facebook but not gotten a response since I ordered.

Jay

Thanks

He has responded to email (took some digging) when the site was down. I placed an order, but nothing so far.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I had a similar delay on one of my orders, but all worked out fine. Hopefully he gets them out soon, or maybe even checks here and notes the shipping delay issue.