Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I want to build a 6mm ARC but the cycling issues have me on the fence. I may just build a 300blk.

I’m wanting to build a lightweight folder for the East Tennessee mountains. So shots under 150 yards

I want to build a 6mm ARC but the cycling issues have me on the fence. I may just build a 300blk.

I’m wanting to build a lightweight folder for the East Tennessee mountains. So shots under 150 yards
The 6mm max might be a good option but I don't know when barrels are going to be readily available

This is one of the reasons I'm on the fence too.

I'm wondering what the minimum weight of an AR would be to use an upper that can still run a 6mmARC (or even better the 22ARC) vs the absolute minimum weight of a 223rem/300blk option in a straight pull or something.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider

For a 200 yd woods deer gun, the 300 Blk is about the ultimate. Cheap, readily available, light recoil and blast...

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
This is one of the reasons I'm on the fence too.

I'm wondering what the minimum weight of an AR would be to use an upper that can still run a 6mmARC (or even better the 22ARC) vs the absolute minimum weight of a 223rem/300blk option in a straight pull or something.
My gasser is a 223 but I think it would run an ARC okay. It has a 19.5 oz barrel on it and weighs 3# 10oz. If you search for ARC barrels, check their weight and add whatever is beyond 19.5 oz. Should get you a pretty good idea.

_S_R_

FNG
My gasser is a 223 but I think it would run an ARC okay. It has a 19.5 oz barrel on it and weighs 3# 10oz. If you search for ARC barrels, check their weight and add whatever is beyond 19.5 oz. Should get you a pretty good idea.
Would you mind to share spec list please?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
For a 200 yd woods deer gun, the 300 Blk is about the ultimate. Cheap, readily available, light recoil and blast...
I was going to suggest a 300 HAMR as an alternative, and I think it's better round than 300 BLK for supersonic only loads, but I think you're probably right. At that limited range and with all the factory options in 300 BLK, it makes a lot of sense and is the quietest of the bunch.

bigbuckdj

WKR
G man, what was your beef with 350 legend in this platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who's hunted with ARs chambered in nearly all the cartridges, my best advice is this: If it's legal in your state, stick with .223/5.56 NATO. Parts are everywhere and work, ammo is abundant, recoil is low, magazines function is flawless, and the round will kill as well or better than any other AR cartridge. The only two issues are noise (it's loud in an unsuppressed barrel) and caliber restrictions.

Any sort of hybrid approach? I'm probably splitting hairs here... but one reason I got away from ARs a while back was, once I got a suppressor, I preferred manually operated actions... seemed like the noise of the gas operated semi auto completely defeated the purpose... it would be awsome to have a manually operated option that could run 223 and the ARC barrels without issues.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
None at all, it seems like a great round and worked well for me when I used it, for the limited time I did use it with my 20" barrel.

When the 300 HAMR came out I went that direction and prefer that over the 350. Both seem to kill very well, but the HAMR is flatter shooting and hangs on to its velocity better with better BCs. Works better as an all-around rifle for the areas and things I hunt.

I still sometimes think about getting a 16" 350L barrel, but just can't really see the point when running the HAMR. I do imagine the 350L is probably the best "thumper" easily available for this platform but it would be more specialized for me than the HAMR. Still might try it again though, at some point.

Any sort of hybrid approach? I'm probably splitting hairs here... but one reason I got away from ARs a while back was, once I got a suppressor, I preferred manually operated actions... seemed like the noise of the gas operated semi auto completely defeated the purpose... it would be awsome to have a manually operated option that could run 223 and the ARC barrels without issues.
That would be the AR. On my straight-pull ARs, I can spin the handguard off by hand and replace barrels in 15 seconds. The bolt would need to be swapped for .223 to ARC/Grendel/7.62x39, but that takes all of a minute.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
As someone who's hunted with ARs chambered in nearly all the cartridges, my best advice is this: If it's legal in your state, stick with .223/5.56 NATO. Parts are everywhere and work, ammo is abundant, recoil is low, magazines function is flawless, and the round will kill as well or better than any other AR cartridge. The only two issues are noise (it's loud in an unsuppressed barrel) and caliber restrictions.
This is probably the best advice y'all going to get for a KISS solution.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Cool, I have an extra aero precision 350 legend barrel and gas block I wouldn’t mind cannibalizing to make one of these. I would like to try a 300 hamr but I have enough junk around for the 350 that it probably wouldn’t require much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

Another thought: I think that if you turned your adjustable gas block down enough, you could set it up to where it won't have enough gas to cycle but will still break the case loose from the chamber. That won't work on a Solo at all, but should on an any other AR gasser. Could just turn the gas up when you want to run semi-auto.

One of those Kalikey setups might work as well, but I don't know much about them and don't know if the gas still helps at all in breaking the case loose with those units. It might. Probably not much use unless you're trying to avoid semi-auto regulations, adjustable gas turned down would be easier.

All of those options will sacrifice weight advantages and/or ease of use to some extent (e.g. manually running an AR from a charging handle isn't ideal ergonomically, if it came to that, I'd probably just stick with your bolt rifles).

Faxon 223 pencil barrel arrived today. Nicely and securely packaged and the barrel finish is nice. Someone took pride in this product. If it shoots as good as it looks, it will be a winner!

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Small data point here: I picked up a slickside upper from Right To Bear with hopes of milling a slot for a side charger using an aluminum BCG and having my own Solo-style lightweight upper for half price.

Weighed the empty slickside upper: 8.5.

Weighed a standard upper with FA: 8.5.

Fail.

The Bear Creek side charger upper is 10.5, but it doesn't require milling, so that's still probably the best budget option. Cut down their side charger BCG and it comes out at 8 oz.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Will update on the aluminum carrier I have coming. Should be able to cut it down from 6 to make ~4 oz, if I feel like drilling/tapping/milling to make it a side charger. That would hit the weight of a Solo, if the work is worth it.