Turn in your hunting buddy?

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I try not to have "buddies" that break the rules to the extent that justifies a call to the warden.

I've had hunting partners decide to do something too far out of bounds for me, and I've told them that I'm not participating, and I would not be hunting with them if they chose to continue. I did not turn them in.

mlgc20

WKR
Not saying this is the "right" answer. But, I'd probably give him a warning the first time and then make the call if it happened again. I had a hunting & fishing buddy who worked for me. We spent a ton of time in the field together. Our families were also very close. He made a questionable ethical decision at work. I gave him a warning and told him any more instances like that and he would be fired. He made it about 2 weeks before he did it again. I had no problem firing him. Although I never went hunting with him again.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
So, if we are Elk hunting and he breaks the law, I don't see how it could be anything other than a major game violation. It it were a honest mistake I would have to take that into account. Remember if you fail to report a violation you could face charges if it were ever found out. That being said, it would depend on how wealthy he was. :) Just kidding.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not saying this is the "right" answer. But, I'd probably give him a warning the first time and then make the call if it happened again. I had a hunting & fishing buddy who worked for me. We spent a ton of time in the field together. Our families were also very close. He made a questionable ethical decision at work. I gave him a warning and told him any more instances like that and he would be fired. He made it about 2 weeks before he did it again. I had no problem firing him. Although I never went hunting with him again.
I'll bet not. Hunting accidents do happen.

Maverick1

WKR
Would you turn in your hunting buddy for a game/forest violation?

Let’s say you and your buddy are on a 8 day elk hunt.
You each went your own way for the day and that evening you found out your buddy broke the law…. Doesn’t matter how big or small, definitely broke the law.

You making the call to law enforcement?

Now, before the ‘Do-Gooders’ say you know your buddy really well and either one wouldn’t break the law, we all know ‘shit happens’.

Whatcha gonna do?
I hunt solo. So, if that guy “broke the law”, I’m not calling it in, that’s on him.

Nope. If I'm in a camp with a guy for 8 days he has been thoroughly vetted and a good dude.

If we talk through it and self report I'm willing to get dinged as well.

A good hunting partner is like a wife...except harder to find.
For better or worse applies to both situations.

Unless its just straight up poaching or something...then screw him I'm reporting him...and I want a divorce!

CorbLand

WKR
I have always ran on the motto of I wont turn you in (for a minor violation) but I will not lie for you either.

I know a kid that has driven his Jeep in places that you are not supposed to. It bothers me but I have never been there when he has done it and I will not call to turn him in but if I was asked, I would not lie.

jhm2023

WKR
I just typically try to surround myself with quality people that not only have a strong moral compass but also help each other's moral compass stay pointed in the right direction. Yea, shit happens, but it's less likely to happen when you and your friends put in the effort to be very familiar with the regs/laws and have proper decision making ability. I thoroughly enjoy my time in the outdoors and I'm not going to invite some ethically questionable turd along.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Would you turn in your hunting buddy for a game/forest violation?

Let’s say you and your buddy are on a 8 day elk hunt.
You each went your own way for the day and that evening you found out your buddy broke the law…. Doesn’t matter how big or small, definitely broke the law.

You making the call to law enforcement?

Now, before the ‘Do-Gooders’ say you know your buddy really well and either one wouldn’t break the law, we all know ‘shit happens’.

Whatcha gonna do?
No way am reporting what I feel is an incidental violation. Examples are wearing your pack over your orange vest so temporarily fall short of the required square inch minimum for orange, shot five minutes before or after legal time, took pictures of downed animal before placing tag on the kill, shot to other side of canyon then on the map realized there is a "road" in the bottom though the road is not obvious and no one was on it, was 5 feet too close to the road when shot, etc.

If the violation is what in my opinion a serious violation then my buddy can self-report or I will. Examples, refusing to wear orange clothing when is required, shooting 30 minutes before or after legal time, refuses to tag a kill, wanton waste of more than 10 pounds of meat that is required to be packed out, shoots over an active road, shoots from the road or a moving vehicle, taking a vehicle where not allowed, hunting in the wrong GMU or or the wrong season or wrong weapon, using someone else's tag, etc.

Actions that will end us hunting together are careless handling of weapons, not following up on a "miss" to check for blood, not being proficient with the weapon that had better be dialed in, shooting at well beyond their capabilities, intentionally tossing any plastic or metal or glass on the ground while hunting, harming trees or signs, be drunk or stoned blind while hunting, bring Milky Way bars or Natty Light to camp.

Wrench

WKR
I wouldn't have to. My very limited group has enough integrity to square up without needing me to police them.

If I rode with outlaws, I would expect to be treated like an outlaw.

Luckily I am on the downhill slide in my career and I could care less about being famous, so for me/us it's about the experience vs the Instagram likes.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I think you have to understand the point of turning someone in.

In my mind, it's to try and stop ongoing illegal behavior. If I thought that my friends behavior would be stopped by me talking to him, what would the point of turning him be?

In 2020 a longtime hunting buddy who married a California girl and lived there for 15 years got the rare opportunity to join me for a western state doe antelope hunt. He didn’t see the horns or cheek patches of bedded young buck with a sage brush backdrop upon taking the 200 yd shot. All the animals jumped up except the young buck which he walked up on and discovered. I met up with him and he explained the story and asked my opinion. I told him I wouldn’t make that decision for him but encouraged self reporting. He followed through and due to his honesty the warden was beyond reasonable and let him keep his animal with no fine and thanked him for hunting their state and hoped he’d return. Every situation will be different, but the consequences for an honest mistake beat the alternative of trying to cover it up. The majority of wildlife officers are reasonable and at the end of the day we were able to feel better about the situation and hunting relationships weren’t jeopardized.

npm352

WKR
Wouldn't turn him in. Wouldn't lie for him.

There are literally three guys on the planet that I'd do an 8-day backpacking hunting trip with. It took me a lifetime of hunting to find those three guys, and one is my dad.

I'm not losing the relationship because I turn him in for shooting a grouse out of season and eating it for lunch.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Just a point of clarification, to my knowledge no US state criminalizes misprision of a game law violation. Or a trespass, for that matter. Put another way, it isn’t a crime not to report a game violation or misdemeanor. Concealing a crime, aiding a criminal, or lying to an officer excluded. Also excluding in some states, your hunting buddy murdering a hiker. Probably the best bet there is call 911 early and often. Disclaimer: not legal advise; seek counsel from the local criminal defense lawyer of your choice. 😉

go_deep

WKR
Yes, made my own dad self report himself. He ended up just getting a verbal warning, and got told to enjoy the rest of his hunt. He filled his tag the next day, and I personally feel like because he did report his accident there was no dark cloud hanging around for the rest of the time.