Turn in your hunting buddy?

coelk81

FNG
I have reported those who I considered a "buddy" for both poaching and riding around gate with their ATV. I never got responses on either, I didn't follow up but did give my name, phone #, statements photos etc. Most of the "buddies" I used to hang out with I no longer do and haven't for a very long time mainly for these reasons. I also knew a guy who the first to bash/blame Texans for going off road when the road was closed or just driving off road. Then he would turn around and do it. That person was a family member as well. I knew/know a few folks who do this all the time.

Super tag

WKR
I wouldn’t call and turn him in, but I would expect him to do the right thing, whatever that might be. I don’t believe in breaking the law, Also know my friends well enough that it’s not something I need to worry about -for the most part. 😆

You get preference points in Oregon for conventions, I turn in every license plate in the unit just hoping something sticks when the officer questions them. 😇
well sumbich... i seriously thought i was the only one who did that.... well, i should let you know, you have some competition. i don't even hunt the weekends, i just drive around calling the tip line.... i call it "scouting for next year"

besides that, i mostly hunt alone, but may get a few hunting buddies to increase my odds of drawing some tags.... i could probably convince someone of breaking the law, then turn their ass in!

I hunt solo 98% of the time. Maybe more.
None of us are perfect. I quit hunting with others 25 years ago. When I quit worrying about what others said and did and what they were thinking of me my enjoyment of hunting skyrocketed.

Azone

WKR
I would not narc, but I would post a thread about a BOAL and incite the 2022 RS Meme War.
I would say it was more of a rebellion than a war.

But on a serious note it would depend on what act of nonsense occurred to get the law involved.

Tmac

WKR
You get preference points in Oregon for conventions, I turn in every license plate in the unit just hoping something sticks when the officer questions them. 😇
Funny, the law I read does not mention conventions, I wonder if it comes with a room, meal and travel allowance?

In all seriousness, it takes an arrest or conviction as I read the law. It's limited to unlawful take/possession or waste of big game (deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, antelope, bear, cougar, or wolf).

I wonder if the guy (s) in NE that poisoned the pack if 8 ish would qualify for one or 8 batches of PP’s?

Had a guy suggest this year that I should’ve shot another elk and just used his tag. (He was back at camp.)

I politely explained that that wasn’t cool in my hunting camp.

Later on when we were back home he asked to come hunt my property, shoot a doe and illegally use one of my landowner tags.

Needless to say he didn’t get an invite back this year, or permission to hunt my place.

As others have said, finding a good hunting partner is like finding a good spouse. It’s hard to find a guy who likes to hunt the same way as you as hunting can be a very personal thing. Not to mention the invariable stress that comes with a multi day backpack hunt.

I have one guy that gets the invite every time. The other two guys didn’t get an invite back.

Okay.
Let’s say your buddy went around a gate with his atv….
Yep. I gotta make the call.

None of us own an ATV. So, if my buddy went around a gate with his ATV, he must’ve stolen it from somebody.

And how did he do that? He probably mashed the previous owner with a rock.

So, now, my buddy who doesn’t even like ATVs, is riding one around a gate, guilty of grand theft and murder… I could go to prison, end up with some cellmate who keeps obsessing about tossed salads and my kids grow up without me and their new stepdad buys them ATVs.