Trouble focusing spotting scopes

NSI

WKR
Howdy,
I have a bear of a time getting comfortable behind my Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 angled spotter.

Everyone seems to love that scope, so I'm wondering whether I'm the problem. Whenever I move that giant ring to focus, I move the glass enough that it blurs on its own and I can't dial it in. I also get black ring shadowing on the sides when I zoom in more than 27x, regardless of how far my eye is back off the scope.

Any ideas? Should I just phoneSkope? Should I try a binocular spotter? Should I buy a spotter with a second Fine adjustment? For the weight of this thing and limited utility I'm getting, I'm considering giving up on spotters altogether.

Best,
-J

It's because it's a Vortex Razor, and I think you'll find that few people love that scope...
I went through something similar years ago. Had a Viper HD and a Razor HD. Absolutely hated both of them, they were borderline useless in the field. Swore off of spotting scopes for years and used 15x and 12x binos on a tripod. After a while I decided to try a Swaro STS 65, and realized the problem was the cheap scopes. Buy a quality scope (Kowa, Swaro, Zeiss, Leica) and you'll likely find much better results.

LaHunter

WKR
Get someone else to look through it and see if they are having the same issues. Do you have much experience using spotting scopes? I had a 65 mm Vortex Razor HD several years ago and it worked ok for me. I never had issues with getting it to focus clearly. You may need to send it in for repair.

SDHNTR

WKR
My brother has the same scope. Bottom line, it’s a Vortex. Side by side to a Zeiss, Leica or Swaro it’s obvious. Move on.

Reactions: NSI
Sounds like you need a scope with focus knobs instead of a focus ring. Become a knob-twister over a ring-turner. Some just can't figure out the touch it takes to fine focus a ring...

Reactions: NSI

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy,
I have a bear of a time getting comfortable behind my Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 angled spotter.

Everyone seems to love that scope, so I'm wondering whether I'm the problem. Whenever I move that giant ring to focus, I move the glass enough that it blurs on its own and I can't dial it in. I also get black ring shadowing on the sides when I zoom in more than 27x, regardless of how far my eye is back off the scope.

Any ideas? Should I just phoneSkope? Should I try a binocular spotter? Should I buy a spotter with a second Fine adjustment? For the weight of this thing and limited utility I'm getting, I'm considering giving up on spotters altogether.

Best,
-J
Not saying this is your problem but I had a very similar issue as you with a Swarovski 65mm. I couldn’t focus it well and always had shadow pretty much no matter what. I went to the eye doctor to get checked out then set up my scope next to another swaro.

After that, I sent it back to Swarovski and they send me a new scope. No idea what what wrong with it. Point is, if possible try another scope.