Opticron spotters - don't overlook them

OP
Newtosavage
In this thread I learned that savage is going to post his opinion. If anyone else has a different opinion, or fact, he doesn't care, go buy something else.
You guys are acting like this is some kind of discussion forum or something.
I really don't care. You got that right.

Man, the price some folks have to pay around here for just trying to be helpful tho. dayum.

I'm waiting for PHo to spend his money to test things, then report to the forum what he found tbh. LOL

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Man, you must have a lot of spare time on your hands to pursue someone you've never even met in this way. I don't know whether to feel honored, or creeped out tbh.

Your reading comprehension could use some work too. (hint - "in the center...")

You have basically questioned everything I've written, even going back and digging up quotes to support your pursuit. Ask yourself why, and what you stand to gain. Or is it that you have some internet "credibility" to maintain at this point? Again, weird.

From where I'm sitting you don't deserve a response after the way you've questioned my opinion (with no facts of your own) multiple times. I couldn't care less whether you believe me or not. I have my opinions and never tried to pass myself off as some kind of "technical" optics expert. I never asked you to agree with my opinions. I'll say it again just so I'm not misunderstood again. I never asked you to agree with my opinions. Let that sink in.

Now go find a cold beverage and chill the h*ll out man. And while you're at it, If it bothers you so much, just order your own damn Opticron scope like I did and see for yourself! :D
Well, it is my full time job to review hunting gear, with an emphasis on optics, so it was really just a Monday to me.

My posts in this thread were of genuine interest in this optic and your experience with it, because (again) I'm an optics reviewer. It is certainly possible I could get an Opticron for review, but maybe not if they don't support hunting. It's unfortunate you feel targeted. I don't remember questioning your opinions but rather asking about how you arrived at them. I am not sure how that is offensive. Pretty much every optic review post goes down that path to some degree or another. It is called discussion ... on a discussion board.

It is interesting that you say I don't deserve a response ... in your response. Maybe I just don't deserve a response to your "star test?" Convenient.

I think I've gathered all the info I'm going to get from this thread.

Now I'm off to that cold beverage ... 🍻

OP
Newtosavage
Well, it is my full time job to review hunting gear, with an emphasis on optics, so it was really just a Monday to me.

My posts in this thread were of genuine interest in this optic and your experience with it, because (again) I'm an optics reviewer. It is certainly possible I could get an Opticron for review, but maybe not if they don't support hunting. It's unfortunate you feel targeted. I don't remember questioning your opinions but rather asking about how you arrived at them. I am not sure how that is offensive. Pretty much every optic review post goes down that path to some degree or another. It is called discussion ... on a discussion board.

It is interesting that you say I don't deserve a response ... in your response. Maybe I just don't deserve a response to your "star test?" Convenient.

I think I've gathered all the info I'm going to get from this thread.

Now I'm off to that cold beverage ... 🍻
Wait, it's your full time job to review gear with an emphasis on optics, and you haven't spent any time with an Opticron scope, much less done a review on one? I'm not an optics reviewer and only do this in what little spare time I have, and I knew about Opticron. I'd say you need to broaden your search a bit in an effort to better serve your customers. Granted, there are a lot of new and fly by night optics "companies" these days, but Opticron is not one of them. They have been around for a long time and have one hell of a reputation amongst some of the pickiest optics snobs on the planet.

As for what you do and don't deserve a response to, I get to decide that. Not you. After insulting me multiple times you're lucky I even respond to you at all.

Enjoy that cold beverage and for your customer's sake, I hope you get better at reviewing optics for a living.

Last edited:

bigbuckdj

WKR
This thread has kind of turned into a dumpster fire but I got my mm4 60.

Packaging could’ve been better, even pretty cheap spotters come with laser cut foam packaging and this was just a box. the machining isn’t as refined as i expected but not horrible from looking with a flashlight.

The dual focus knobs are really cool and smooth, I can’t believe all spotter don’t have the kowa style knobs.

The brightness holds up much better than I expected. I think my ares got noticeably dimmer above 30x and I don’t notice hardly any change in brightness until 40x and it’s still very usable at 45x

It was just south of 37 ounces on my scale with both of the included lens covers. I think it’s what I was after weight and performance wise, and the cost will hold up if I am able to use my current eyepiece on a 77mm body I scoop up on sale.

I may try to point it at a resolution chart, take some scopecam pics, and share some more thoughts in a different thread that isn’t melting.

f2282b54ae7d165d9ca9c8900bd06315.jpg

73dc7dcdbe9a29805d3deb0332a6366a.jpg

OP
Newtosavage
This thread has kind of turned into a dumpster fire but I got my mm4 60.

Packaging could’ve been better, even pretty cheap spotters come with laser cut foam packaging and this was just a box. the machining isn’t as refined as i expected but not horrible from looking with a flashlight.

The dual focus knobs are really cool and smooth, I can’t believe all spotter don’t have the kowa style knobs.

The brightness holds up much better than I expected. I think my ares got noticeably dimmer above 30x and I don’t notice hardly any change in brightness until 40x and it’s still very usable at 45x

It was just south of 37 ounces on my scale with both of the included lens covers. I think it’s what I was after weight and performance wise, and the cost will hold up if I am able to use my current eyepiece on a 77mm body I scoop up on sale.

I may try to point it at a resolution chart, take some scopecam pics, and share some more thoughts in a different thread that isn’t melting.

f2282b54ae7d165d9ca9c8900bd06315.jpg

73dc7dcdbe9a29805d3deb0332a6366a.jpg
I'm happy for you. I wish a couple folks hadn't come along and tried to "melt" this thread because it really is about the gear and whether it works for us or not.

I may have to get an MM4 now just to compare to my MM3. These really are great scopes.

If you get a chance to add a fixed mag. eyepiece, you should try one. Lighter and brighter than the variables in my experience.

PHo

WKR
Can you be more specific about which question I haven't answered? Also, can you tell me why (specifically) I'm obligated to answer any questions at all? Is offering my experiences not enough? If not, then please explain why exactly.
I’m talking about the questions that Matt posed to you about the star test, they seem rather interesting to me. But whatever, it’s pretty obvious that you’re not going to answer said questions for whatever reason, so you do you.

OP
Newtosavage
I’m talking about the questions that Matt posed to you about the star test, they seem rather interesting to me. But whatever, it’s pretty obvious that you’re not going to answer said questions for whatever reason, so you do you.
I was satisfied with the results of the test. No optic is perfect. The "star test" is just one way to see what you have. Exactly what kind of response were you looking for? Are you familiar with that test?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I said I did, didn't I?

Ok. Will you please expound on it? What did you use for the point of light? At what distance did you test it? At what magnification? What did the test show on the Opticron?

I don’t know very much about it, so I am asking.

OP
Newtosavage
Ok. Will you please expound on it? What did you use for the point of light? At what distance did you test it? At what magnification? What did the test show on the Opticron?
Uh, a star? You tell me the distance. I already explained the magnification. The test showed acceptable results to me (reasonably concentric rings).

But I'm not an expert and never attempted to pass myself off as one.

What experience do you have conducting star tests?

OP
Newtosavage
For the record, I think post #19 and 20 is where this thread became derailed. Rather than focusing on the item and giving the reviewer the benefit of the doubt, 4th point chose to instead focus on the qualifications of the reviewer, believing that without ever handling one, they knew more than the reviewer did. And now several others have followed suit.

I said early on someone might think I'm on crack when they read what I wrote. There is a reason I said that. LOL

I appreciate bigbuckdj for trying to get us back on track.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Uh, a star? You tell me the distance. I already explained the magnification. The test showed acceptable results to me (reasonably concentric rings).

But I'm not an expert and never attempted to pass myself off as one.

What experience do you have conducting star tests?

Very little. That’s why I’m asking.

To be clear, this is what you did?-

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

That is a great resource Form!

It is a lot of good info in a relatively short form.

I have a hardcover copy of Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes by Harold Richard Suiter that I’ve used as a reference over the years.

Both sources reference the importance of sufficient magnification (more is better) for star testing. A minimum starting point for a 60mm objective scope would be 60x, although greater than 100x would be preferable yet.

4th_point

WKR
The Pentax 12mm eyepiece on my EDIII gives me 22x and if you had read the whole thread, you'd also know it's not the only eyepiece I've had on that scope, or on my ED50 before it. But you didn't bother to do that.
I hate to beat a dead horse but I don't think that is correct.

The Nikon DS 16/24/30 has 17.5mm FL. And that would provide 24x on your EDIII.

The MCII zoom is 7-21mm which is 20-60x on your EDIII. At 20x on your EDIII, that would be 21mm.

I don't see how you are getting 22x with the 12mm Pentax. It doesn't make sense and is misleading, but maybe I don't understand something so please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that you just got confused with the ED50. The 12mm Pentax would give you 23x on that scope.

OP
Newtosavage

Most of what I know about optics, I learned through members on BirdForum, some of whom are actual optical engineers, others are in the optics business as distributors or they work directly for optics companies. So I tend to pay close attention to what those certain members have to say. If you think we have heated debates about optics here, you should spend some time over there. ha, ha.

This is one of the threads I read to learn about star testing. There are others.

OP
Newtosavage
I hate to beat a dead horse but I don't think that is correct.

The Nikon DS 16/24/30 has 17.5mm FL. And that would provide 24x on your EDIII.

The MCII zoom is 7-21mm which is 20-60x on your EDIII. At 20x on your EDIII, that would be 21mm.

I don't see how you are getting 22x with the 12mm Pentax. It doesn't make sense and is misleading, but maybe I don't understand something so please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that you just got confused with the ED50. The 12mm Pentax would give you 23x on that scope.
It doesn't sound correct to me either, based purely on the 12mm designation, but when adapting that eyepiece to the Nikon (using adapter rings provided to me by an engineer who frequents BirdForum) I removed one lens that was in the barrel of the Pentax eyepiece. So I based my magnification calculation on comparisons with several other scopes that had both fixed and variable eyepieces. That's how I arrived at the 22x. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I can see how it could be confusing if you're looking at what other eyepieces would offer on the same scope.

4th_point

WKR
Thanks for the info on the MM3. If I recall correctly, it does not have ED glass? I believe that the MM4 is ED, so at higher magnifications it should have better image quality than the MM3.
I contacted Opticron on the differences between MM3 and MM4. This was the response from Sales:

"The original MM3 was an ED scope and made in China. It sold between 2014 and 2017 and was superseded by the MM4 which is made in Japan.

Comparing current MM3 and MM4, yes there would be less chromatic aberration (and therefore better contrast resulting in more detail) in the MM4 but you'd also notice better light transmission, especially at higher magnification. The improved light transmission has a effect on your visual system (eyes and brain combined) such that the brighter image is also perceived to have a 'wider field'. That effect is not measurable but is certainly apparent when looking through the scope.

Opticron Sales"

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
”The improved light transmission has a effect on your visual system (eyes and brain combined) such that the brighter image is also perceived to have a 'wider field'. That effect is not measurable but is certainly apparent when looking through the scope."

Gotta love marketing BS.