Budget 15x Binos or a Budget Spotting Scope?

uthuntr

FNG
Currently looking to pick up some new optics for this next hunting season. I'm a repeat borrower of swarovski glass but hate arranging and worrying about it. Only have 10x binos at the moment. I've got about $1,000 and possibly more to put into either a spotting scope or some binos for sitting down and glassing.

Obviously 15x's are a lot easier to sit behind for longer periods but don't see as many good sub $1,000 options in for binos as I do spotters. Been eyeing an Athlon Ares and feel it's better bang for the buck than similar priced 15x binos. So maybe get that first to run with 10x's off a tripod? I'm going to end up with a spotter and 15x's either way at some point but feel like going more expensive on the binos in a few years might be the better choice? One day I'd love to be scrolling Kowa Meopta and Swaro's websites for both but not quite there right now. For the next few years I'm going to have to pick to sacrifice a little bit on one or the other. Open to other optics suggestions or critiques of my thought process

My optics if I go cheap spotter would be
Athlon Ares 20-60x85
Swaro SLC 15x56

And flipped would look like
Swaro ATS 20-60x85
*Insert sub $1,000 15x56 binos here*

OP
U

uthuntr

FNG
Any recommendation on cheapos? I'm sure my success rates won't differ wildly no matter what route I choose. But just trying to limit number of times I upgrade and which would be more enjoyable

I bought a pair of Vortex demo 15s, don't remember the model but they were about $350. They're not awesome, but they're acceptable on a tripod if you have a tight budget.

OP
U

uthuntr

FNG
A cheap spotter is fairly worthless IMO. Start with the Swaro spotter and basic 15s.
What do you think about lighting $350 on fire and rolling with Vortex Dbacks to hold me over for a year til I can swing a swaro? Or would you rather go through the headache of borrowing a few more times and just wait to buy the SLC's or ATC?

If you're on here asking, I assume you're not counting rings on sheep or kicker lengths on mulies. Upgrade the glass you use to find animals first, then what you use to judge them.

180ls1

WKR
I bought a pair of Vortex demo 15s, don't remember the model but they were about $350. They're not awesome, but they're acceptable on a tripod if you have a tight budget.

Yup, "vortex refurbished" into google will also land you some deals.

I'd second the binos over the spotter.

What do you think about lighting $350 on fire and rolling with Vortex Dbacks to hold me over for a year til I can swing a swaro? Or would you rather go through the headache of borrowing a few more times and just wait to buy the SLC's or ATC?
Rent as needed while you continue to save.

Look at Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski and Vortex Razor UHD. When glassing you want clarity as you are likely to get headaches, eye strain, etc with lower tier optics. More time in the glass means more animals found.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I would look for used Meopta Meostars. They can be found in or close to your price range.

180ls1

WKR
You'd be mostly correct in that assumption. One day I hope to but if I'm chasing sheep I won't be worried about thousand dollar spotters. I'm going to try to swing SLC's this year and also keep my eyes on the classifieds. Any recommendations otherwise sub $1500 though? Or my previous response about going cheap and then stepping up that much sooner with what I save?

You could sell the current glass as well and have NL Pures in 12x to do it all.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Meopta meostar b1 plus 15x56
These are a grand, posted 9 hours ago. You wont regret them

EDIT: This is seriously a steal on these things. Id pick them up in a heartbeat if I was looking for 15x's.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
The Athlon Cronus 15x56 binos can be had for well under $1K and they are not bad... actually pretty decent for the $$$.

I used the Athlon Ares 15-45x60 spotter for several seasons and they served me well.

It just depends how picky you are.

Given a choice, albeit the 15x binos will be bigger in the pack and a bit heavier... I prefer them.

I haved used the Meopta Meostar 10x42 binos A LOT over the last (guessing) five seasons and don't feel they give up anything to SLCs... and I have sat on mountain sides swapping back and forth with my buddy comparing them.

OP
U

uthuntr

FNG
The Athlon Cronus 15x56 binos can be had for well under $1K and they are not bad... actually pretty decent for the $$$.

I used the Athlon Ares 15-45x60 spotter for several seasons and they served me well.

It just depends how picky you are.

Given a choice, albeit the 15x binos will be bigger in the pack and a bit heavier... I prefer them.

I haved used the Meopta Meostar 10x42 binos A LOT over the last (guessing) five seasons and don't feel they give up anything to SLCs... and I have sat on mountain sides swapping back and forth with my buddy comparing them.
Intrigued by the meoptas in the classifieds. Think they would serve well as an end all bino if I need it to be?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Intrigued by the meoptas in the classifieds. Think they would serve well as an end all bino if I need it to be?
You will likely not feel the need to upgrade for many many years

Ive not compared them side by side with the SLC's. But to date, they are the only binos besides other Swaro's that have knocked my socks off

manitou1

WKR
I would highly recommend them if the damage is tolerable.
They are great glass with a great record and many good reviews.