Spotting Scope advice or Recommendations

Nozler

FNG
Hello Everyone,

First post here. Been doing a ton of reading on the site, lots of excellent feedback from fellow hunters.
I'm looking to add a second spotting scope to use mostly from the truck. Currently I run a Razor 11-30x50 and love the image and weight for backpack/day trips. My other optic is the Razor binos in 10x42. Very happy with those as well. I am a classic spot and stock hunter. Glass from truck in the AM and make decisions on which way to go after animals. Lately I've begun to enjoy mid to high country mule deer and elk. Lots of rolling terrain from oil roads but still could be a 1-3 KM hike from the truck. Where I find my setup lacking is the defining details. I can find animals with bino's and then take a look in spotter for details. However, unless it's close (1KM or less) I can really only ascertain that it is a buck/bull vs doe/cow. I am unable to "field judge" or "count points" to make a better decision on which animal to go after.
With that being said I have narrowed down my options in a couple directions based solely on what I have read on this forum. I have no way to first hand view most of the options where I live.
Optics I am considering are either a moderate priced 80mm like the Leupold SX-4 and Vortex Viper or a better quality 65mm like the Kowa 664. All these are in my budget. The Kowa774 is about $1000 (canadian) more so kind of off the table at the moment.
Here is where I would like some advice/help from the many of you. Do you feel that any of the 3 options would give me that more "zoom" to identify/judge critters better? Would the smaller Kowa be giving anything up to those mid price 80's. Or should I just wait one more season so that I can get the 774?
I don't "glass" with my spotter now, but that 30x on the Kowa makes it an interesting option.

Thanks again to all who reply.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you considered the Athlon Cronus G2 20-60x86 UHD Spotting Scope?
Featuring a smooth single focus wheel, finely geared to facilitate hitting the sharpest focus. The Cronus G2 offers greater color definition, clarity, and light transmission than its brethren. From scouting game on a shadowed treeline to identifying birds in dimly wooded forests, the Cronus G2’s enhanced contrast helps separate your subject from its background.

APOCHROMATIC LENS SYSTEM
Helps in converging refracting colors into one focus point, producing greater contrast, sharpness, and color definition.

UHD GLASS
Gives you an advantage with an image that has little or no chromatic fringe for the clearest and sharpest image.

ESP DIELECTRIC COATING
Reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image and accurate color reproduction.

4th_point

WKR
My 664M is a really nice scope, especially with the fixed 30x. Just 2.8 pounds on my scale with 30x. Trying to decide whether to keep it as a midsize, or stick with a compact + full-size scopes.

Have you considered the Athlon Cronus G2 20-60x86 UHD Spotting Scope?
Featuring a smooth single focus wheel, finely geared to facilitate hitting the sharpest focus. The Cronus G2 offers greater color definition, clarity, and light transmission than its brethren. From scouting game on a shadowed treeline to identifying birds in dimly wooded forests, the Cronus G2’s enhanced contrast helps separate your subject from its background.

APOCHROMATIC LENS SYSTEM
Helps in converging refracting colors into one focus point, producing greater contrast, sharpness, and color definition.

UHD GLASS
Gives you an advantage with an image that has little or no chromatic fringe for the clearest and sharpest image.

ESP DIELECTRIC COATING
Reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image and accurate color reproduction.
How does the ares look compared to the Cronus?

OP
N

Nozler

FNG
My 664M is a really nice scope, especially with the fixed 30x. Just 2.8 pounds on my scale with 30x. Trying to decide whether to keep it as a midsize, or stick with a compact + full-size scopes.
Do you have a compact as well?
I have the vortex razor compact 50mm. If so, would you say the 664 is a good step/improvement up from the 50mm or would I be better served going to an 80mm. I like the idea of having the 30x and the 20-60 on one unit.

Fatcamp

WKR
How is the view say for field judge or counting points. That's where my 11-30 razor falls short at longer distance. I can pick antler vs doe but that's about it.

I have a 65mm Razor and the view through the Kowa is better in every way. It is new to me though and I cannot honestly answer about counting points. It's pretty amazing to look through and while I like my Razor, but it's no comparison.

How far you want to do so is the big issue. From what folks say around here the 77mm Kowa is a very good scope that's not much bigger than the 60, well, except for the price tag. 😉

4th_point

WKR
Do you have a compact as well?
I have the vortex razor compact 50mm. If so, would you say the 664 is a good step/improvement up from the 50mm or would I be better served going to an 80mm. I like the idea of having the 30x and the 20-60 on one unit.
I have 50mm and 82mm Nikon Fieldscopes. My 82mm is absolutely stunning to my eyes, and has 75x capability, but is about four pounds. Add a decent head and legs and it's a decent load.

The ED50 is the second one that I have owned. I originally had one with the 13-30x EP which was OK. I now have a newer one with the updated 13-40x EP which is noticeably better to my eyes.

I have the 20x, 30x, and 20-60x for the 664M. The zoom is fine and better than the zoom EP on my Nikons, but the fixed 30x is exceptional to me. It is probably the best EP that I own out of the Kowa and Nikon units. Like you, I would want both the 30x and zoom on hand.

The 664M definitely has more resolution than the 50mm, with both on 40x. And is noticeably brighter. That stated, out to ~1 mile, the 50mm in good light is fine for me.

Beyond a mile is where I think that the 664m would shine. And at only ~2.8 pounds it would be much lighter than an 80-82mm especially if you can use a lighter head and legs.

I also like having the option for high magnification, so having 60x at only ~2.8 pounds is appealing to me.

The Nikon EDIII is another one in that weight range with 20-60x but the fixed wide would be 24x. I owned two of those, but sold them. I wish I still had one to compare to the 664m just out of curiosity. 60mm vs 66mm.

4th_point

WKR
I spent 2+ months with the 664 and 20-60x EP. Just sold it on another forum but can definitely recommend it for a ~3 pound scope with 60x capability. I know that many people say that they can't use more than 30 - 50x, depending on conditions, but I use 60x and more quite often.

The ER and FOV is not as good as today's best, but it costs considerably less and has very good resolution for its size. The fixed 30x is a gem.

I see that Doug has the 663/664 on sale right now.

OP
N

Nozler

FNG
Thanks for the reply 4th-point. Thats kind of where I am at. The 774 would be the best ticket but is at least 1k more then the 664 here in Canada. CamerLand has great pricing but the exchange rate is the killer right now. Size isnt to much of an issue as this will be mainly a truck spotter. Have you looked at the Leupold SX-4 in the larger 80mm? Doug recommend that as a good budget spotter.
If I'm just looking to field judge for my own decisions (no guiding or trophy class) on which animal to go after. Do you think the 664 would give the ability to count points at 1-1.5mile? My 50mm razor can not do that currently. This would be my main reason to go larger then the razor right now.

4th_point

WKR
Shoot me a PM and I would be happy to let you know what I have learned over the past 12+ months comparing spotting scopes and binoculars to answer similar questions for myself.

I am by no means an optics expert, but an optics addict with a product development and test background. I have been confused, and then frustrated with a lot of the information in forums and product "reviews".

Jason

Last edited:

4th_point

WKR
PS - your 50mm Razor should be good to ~1 mile for what you want based on resolution and magnification, assuming a good sample and decent vision. Beyond that it becomes a bit more tricky, especially if your sample is not very good. A good 60mm+ should be good for 1.5 miles, but the magnification needed will depend on the observer. Good luck!

OP
N

Nozler

FNG
Thanks Jason, appreciate the input.

I need a few more posts to be able to PM.

4th_point

WKR
Thanks Jason, appreciate the input.

I need a few more posts to be able to PM.
Understood. That makes sense. I definitely want to respect the Rokslide rules.

Just shoot me a PM here, or elsewhere. I use the same username.

Jason

Hey Nozler where are you ? I live in Alberta and have a couple spotting scopes for sale. Leupold gold ring 12-40 x60 and a Pentax PF 65 with the bigger zoom eyepiece that translates to 16-48 on the 65.