Tough Pill to Swallow

huntnful

WKR
Finally accepting the fact, that out to some extremely long distances, these two cartridges will more than likely result in the exact same outcome on an animal….. dead, and a massive hole in the lungs. One has 34 ft lbs of recoil, and one has 8.5 ft lbs of recoil hahaha.

IMG_3885.jpeg

I still think the 7-300 is badass and I’m going to continue to shoot it and kill stuff with it. But it’s nice to know, and accept the capabilities of these vicious baby cartridges as well now. It’s funny to look at those cartridges side by side, and personally have no issues shooting an animal with either one out to 600 yards (possibly further) if someone handed me one or the other hahaha.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Both are way better than a rock sharpened into an arrowhead 👍🏻
Hahaha ain’t that the truth!

Have you built a 22creed? Is that approach any different than your other rifles?
Yeah I just had one built. Same thing. Steel barrel, steel action. But no muzzle brake, and 1lb lighter than my magnums. Weighs 9lbs.
IMG_3840.jpeg

9c9c4358415d5fec99a52a40aa1bb648.png

My 22 creed (bottom gun) Tried up Donor action off a Christianson I got a deal on, McMillan game warden 2.0, 24” bartlein carbon barrel, Timney trigger, topped off with a mark5. Love it so much! Things are too accurate and easy to shoot. Multiple buddies are mine are using them in deer and antelope at long ranges with amazing results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Extremely long distance? What are the ballistics of each at 1200 yards? Wind drift of each at 1200 yards with let’s say a 10mph cross wind?

I don’t disagree with the premise that new bullet technology makes ft pounds and energy less relevant, but a 22 caliber bullet does have its limitations…at some point.

I just saw the 600 yard part. I don’t think many on here, you included, would consider 600 extremely far, so now I’m confused. 😝

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Extremely long distance? What are the ballistics of each at 1200 yards? Wind drift of each at 1200 yards with let’s say a 10mph cross wind?

I don’t disagree with the premise that new bullet technology makes ft pounds and energy less relevant, but a 22 caliber bullet does have its limitations…at some point.
Yeah I gave 600 yards as an example. That’s extremely far, for most people.

I actually want good 1200 yard capabilities, which is why I have the 7-300. Ballistics aren’t even comparable at that distance.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah I gave 600 yards as an example. That’s extremely far, for most people.

I actually want good 1200 yard capabilities, which is why I have the 7-300. Ballistics aren’t even comparable at that distance.
Yep, that’s been my experience as well.

If Colorado allowed it I’d build a 22cm for antelope and for a kids rifle out to 400-500. There’s a lot to like about it’

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Yep, that’s been my experience as well.

If Colorado allowed it I’d build a 22cm for antelope and for a kids rifle out to 400-500. There’s a lot to like about it’
Exactly how I view it as well. Probably be the cartridge my youngest daughter kills her first big game animal with 👊🏼

Ive come to the same conclusion lol. It is funny holding a 300 prc round next to a 22cm, pretty similar recoil difference to your 2 there. Its nice to use less components as well

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Ive come to the same conclusion lol. It is funny holding a 300 prc round next to a 22cm, pretty similar recoil difference to your 2 there. Its nice to use less components as well
It really is funny. I just loaded up 200 rounds of 22CM last night. And then went to load some for the 7-300, and was like "jesus this thing is a freaking monster" hahaha.

SouthPaw

WKR
For almost anyone that doesnt read Rokslide, it takes seeing results first hand to accept big game hunting with small, shootable cartridges using good killing bullets.

Almost everyone I end up hunting with shoots magnums, mostly custom guns with custom ammo and everytime I bring the 22cm it starts the classic questioning of adequate "energy" and "knockdown power". Reality is 88g eldm, 77tmk, 79drt etc at high velocity kill with impressive results and those who see it first hand are shocked at the efficiency. When they then shoot the gun and experience the good ballistics with minimal recoil, almost everyone instantly wants one.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
For almost anyone that doesnt read Rokslide, it takes seeing results first hand to accept big game hunting with small, shootable cartridges using good killing bullets.

Almost everyone I end up hunting with shoots magnums, mostly custom guns with custom ammo and everytime I bring the 22cm it starts the classic questioning of adequate "energy" and "knockdown power". Reality is 88g eldm, 77tmk, 79drt etc at high velocity kill with impressive results and those who see it first hand are shocked at the efficiency. When they then shoot the gun and experience the good ballistics with minimal recoil, almost everyone instantly wants one.
Add me to that list as well 👊🏼👊🏼.

I probably still won’t hunt with it too much, because I hunt a lot of huge country and 1000 yard shots definitely present themselves.

But it’s not from a lack of understanding their killing ability now. That’s for sure.

Sadler

WKR

My circle is going to need to see me do it several times. I started using the 223/TMK combo last year successfully and still can’t convince them you don’t need a 7 mag and ‘06 to kill elk.

03mossy

WKR
I’ve seen the light but am so stocked up in 30 cal bullets and 30-06 brass don’t think I can make the switch to a smaller cartridge even tho I’d like to.