Broadhead (fixed vs mechanicals)

Beendare

WKR
The first clue is when a guy says he can’t get his fixed heads to tune….

So then he switches to mech heads…which may or may not solve the problem.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I don’t think it fixes anything I think it’s just easier for the vanes to steer and correct the flight of that mechanical head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
I’m reminded by the .223 thread and how whitetail and elk just aren’t that different, and how much like the common misconception in rifle hunting leads people to big magnums and copper bullets instead of smaller, lighter recoil in more accurate cartridges with match bullets? Is this not the same as using and larger cutting area, more accurate, easier to tune mechanical?
To me, a better parallel would be shooting lighter poundage, well tuned bows with quality fixed heads that are stupid sharp. Easier to be accurate with lighter draw weight, more likely to put a super sharp head where it needs to go, and sharp heads cause a better wound channel and give you a better chance at a 2nd hole.

I notice when people ask about hunting bows for women or kids, 50lbs is always fine, but when it is a dude, need at least 70. Much like lower calibers are fine for anyone except a man, in many people minds.

BBob

WKR
Deer are pretty much 40 yards and under where as elk can get to 60 plus easily.

My experience has been the exact opposite. I’d bet my average elk kills over the years is probably 30 yards and that’s mostly AZ and NM not in thicker timber like in CO high country.

I’ve killed everything from javelina to elk with mechanicals since the early 90’s. I killed elk with light mechanicals in the early IBO light fast arrow craze days too. We’re talking 360-380gn range. Was it a good idea? Probably not the best but if you shot straight it worked fine. These days I’m in the low ish to mid 400gn range.

QuickTrigger7

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered half a dozen of Easton axis 400 fletched with 3’ degree offset. Will I see a big difference in tuning from no off set? Was shooting plane blazers before. Wondering if I will have to paper tune and repeat the process?