Tough Pill to Swallow

Oh for sure. I have a 6 PRC and it's pretty sweet also!

Your thread a few weeks back about your 7-300 had me looking around quite a bit about different cartridge casing volumes - I've always been very interested in fast .22s and .25s, but never really looked beyond factory offerings. After digging into custom reamers though... a .22 PRC (6.5 prc case) is extremely interesting, and IIRC necking down a .300 Norma to .25 would give you around .257 Weatherby case volume, and notably cheaper brass. To be honest, .22 CM is probably optimal with the right bullet, but I'd love to see what would happen with a .22 PRC.

khuber84

WKR
Your thread a few weeks back about your 7-300 had me looking around quite a bit about different cartridge casing volumes - I've always been very interested in fast .22s and .25s, but never really looked beyond factory offerings. After digging into custom reamers though... a .22 PRC (6.5 prc case) is extremely interesting, and IIRC necking down a .300 Norma to .25 would give you around .257 Weatherby case volume, and notably cheaper brass. To be honest, .22 CM is probably optimal with the right bullet, but I'd love to see what would happen with a .22 PRC.
The 300 norma parent holds 103gr powder, the 257 wby holds around 85. These are two completely different animals. Want a fast 25? Simply neck down 26 nosler brass. You'll still be around 100gr capacity taking this route.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
The 300 norma patent holds 103gr powder, the 257 wby holds around 85. These are two completely different animals. Want a fast 25? Simply neck down 26 nosler brass. You'll still be around 100gr capacity taking this route.
I haven't geeked out on it yet because I'm not quite there, but I'd be curious to see what the tradeoff in efficiency is between a couple of those cases. Like 25-284 : 25 PRC : 25 Nosler. I'm still a fan of efficiency and a lot of times in the overbore stuff I see a large increase in powder only yield 100fps in velocity gain, which isn't worth it to me. The 284 is a very efficient case for the mid bore variants, it's had my attention for a while.

Weldor

WKR
Been using the 6.5 prc and 6mm cm. Thinking of the simpler things like 6.5 x55 and 243.

Last edited:
OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
It's far for anyone in the mountains with any wind at all if people are honest with themselves.
Absolutely it is. That’s about the furthest I can confidently shoot in 10MPH type wind conditions. And that’s just because you can hold off the edge of vitals and have some horizontal forgiveness on landing somewhere in the vitals

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Next gun will probably be a 6CM but sometimes its really fun to get big chunks of lead going really fast.
I totally agree. I like having both. But the smaller cartridges are certainly more fun to shoot out to those 7-800 yard distances. I’m pretty much just going to shoot the 7-300 at 800-1300 yards leading up to hunting season. And almost all my moderate range shooting will be with this little 22CM and 6PRC

The 300 norma patent holds 103gr powder, the 257 wby holds around 85. These are two completely different animals. Want a fast 25? Simply neck down 26 nosler brass. You'll still be around 100gr capacity taking this route.

When I was writing that I remembered the memory of being surprised at what a good parent casing would be, and thought it was the Norma but wasn't quite sure - I just checked, and the surprise wasn't Norma, but 30 Nosler. This was several weeks ago, but hadn't realized the 30 Nosler was smaller than their other rocket casings. Gives about 88-89gr capacity.

Damn.......nice work there. Went down a long rabbit hole yesterday reading up on the 22 CM. Might be my next rifle.

Finally accepting the fact, that out to some extremely long distances, these two cartridges will more than likely result in the exact same outcome on an animal….. dead, and a massive hole in the lungs. One has 34 ft lbs of recoil, and one has 8.5 ft lbs of recoil hahaha.

View attachment 714743

I still think the 7-300 is badass and I’m going to continue to shoot it and kill stuff with it. But it’s nice to know, and accept the capabilities of these vicious baby cartridges as well now. It’s funny to look at those cartridges side by side, and personally have no issues shooting an animal with either one out to 600 yards (possibly further) if someone handed me one or the other hahaha.
I accept and understand the truth. But big magnums are still fun 🤣