To anyone reading the archery forum

Would you say you are your own bow tech?

• I don't really work on my bow aside from minor adjustments

Votes: 71 29.3%
  • I take my bow to a shop to have string/cables replaced, but do my own tuning

Votes: 53 21.9%
  • I have a hone shop and outside of purchase, do everything myself.

Votes: 123 50.8%
  • Worry about other things BG besides where companies should be putting resources.

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
This is meant for anyone who shoots a bow. It's really just wondering how many archers really do all their own tuning/maintenance versus how many need a good local proshop. I suspect on RS we get the sense that most are a bow tech, when in reality it's far from it.

This is not a judgment post, simply personal research. Something I have wondered about for a while.

OP
Billy Goat
+1 for a shop. Not ashamed of that. I'm new to it. We all need guidance in one way or another

“Wisten to the whythmic whythm of the woodwinds as it wowws awound and awound…and it comes out here!” — Elmer Fudd

Without having a good shop with a good tech I would have been lost. Taught me a lot.

We all start somewhere, of course now lots of stuff on YouTube, however some things are still better hands on in my opinion. Some things are easy to miss just viewing on a screen. Like learning how to properly press a bow so it doesn't shoot out like a spit seed.

when I got into archery I really, really did not want it to become a hands on thing. But, shop hours, drive times, and my work schedule really forced me into it. Now I can't imagine having someone else work on my bow unless its a warranty issue.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I always relied upon a local archery shop of which we used to have 4 but now down to only 2 and one of those has slowed way down and soon to close up for retiring. I never had to work on my own bows but after thinking about some of the simple things that I should be doing myself I just got done setting up my very first Bow Vice. A bow press will be a big investment for me and the learning curve for working on a bow that needs press work done is a little intimidating to me.

OP
Billy Goat
I always relied upon a local archery shop of which we used to have 4 but now down to only 2 and one of those has slowed way down and soon to close up for retiring. I never had to work on my own bows but after thinking about some of the simple things that I should be doing myself I just got done setting up my very first Bow Vice. A bow press will be a big investment for me and the learning curve for working on a bow that needs press work done is a little intimidating to me.

All of our local archery clubs actually have equipment like presses available to members, and usually a few people who know what they are doing and willing to help. Of course you get a few that think they know too.

But generally I think a local club is good for people.

I'm pretty detail oriented and like to tinker, same reason I got into reloading, just like to play with/control variables to chase small improvements. Some days I may be better off just letting a shop set it up and shoot, other days I'm thankful I have a bow press and paper stand at home.

Really feel for the guys that leave shops with bows way out of tune. It's sad some shops are not willing to make things right. Hell I have pretty good shops around me, but I would drive them insane if I had them do everything I do at home.

I built a pipe clamp style bow press and draw board about 6 years ago. Great tools and cost me about $50 total. Google them (Archery Talk) if you are handy and want to make your own press and draw board.

Used a portable cable style press for 20 years before that, but it didn't work well with the newer past parallel limb design split limb bows.

We haven't had a good bow shop near by most of my years in Canada either. Really glad I do my own work.

WoodBow

WKR
I suspect it comes down to expense, time, and capability for most people.

I do all of my own work but that applies to everything possible in my life. I don't think I have had anyone work on anything so far besides my HVAC when it was still under warranty. I like problem solving and enjoy the satisfaction of fixing things. I built my press and my draw board. I'm also very frugal, so that plays in a lot. I'm sure there are some awesome very knowledgeable bow techs out there but I feel like I trust myself a lot more than some random 20 year old kid.

Some people don't have the time or don't make the time to work on their own stuff. I get that. Sometimes I wish my brain would let me pay people to do stuff.

Vote cast.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I also take mine to my local shop. They work on bows for a living. They shoot competitively so they’re always tinkering trying to find what works best. I feel they’re the best in my state and they’ve probably forgotten more than I’ll ever know about working on archery equipment. I’m not ashamed of that either. I learn what I can, but as long as they’re around, I’m taking it to my bow shop.

OP
Billy Goat
I do 100% of my own work. Arrows included. I don't build my own string sets though.

Here's how I set my shop up if folks are looking for ideas. A lil messy at the moment...
View attachment 590358
View attachment 590359

A lot of mine is portable. I like being able to shoot from the back of my truck and turn right around and put a bow in a press. No in and out, back and forth.

A dedicated area is nice too.

I buy my bow at the local shop, but I do all my own work on my bow. I used YouTube and forums and experience on my own bows to become proficient working on my bows. I’ve never worked at a bow shop. Without YouTube I wouldn’t have been able to become my own personal bow tech or work on my friend’s bows.

Edit: I don’t build my own strings. I do install them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does this question mean?:

Worry about other things BG besides where companies should be putting resources.

I do my own work, even though it's on a portable Bowmaster, I've swapped strings, limbs, but it's great to be able to tie in a peep or twist a string/yoke quickly to tune. Eventually I'll get a full-size press at home, but I've been a member of a few clubs with a press and that's great!

I do everything to my bow myself. With what ”pro” shops charge these days and the lack of effort most give a customer, one is money ahead to buy his own equipment and learn to work on his own gear. It’s rewarding and fun!!! I do work on friends bows for free and help them save money as well. It lets me take my time setting the bow up and adjusting it to fit me, then properly tune it with the amount of care required for excellent arrow flight.

I do my own work on an LCA EZ Green and draw board. When I buy a new bow from a shop, I'll usually let them add components and get it close. The bow shops around me aren't convenient and the work has been inconsistent.