To anyone reading the archery forum

Would you say you are your own bow tech?

• I don't really work on my bow aside from minor adjustments

Votes: 71 29.3%
  • I take my bow to a shop to have string/cables replaced, but do my own tuning

Votes: 53 21.9%
  • I have a hone shop and outside of purchase, do everything myself.

Votes: 123 50.8%
  • Worry about other things BG besides where companies should be putting resources.

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
OP
Billy Goat
The last straw for me was when I called to see about getting a new string on my PowerMax. They told me that I would have to “drop it off” and pick it up in a week. Mind you, this was in April so not like just before hunting season. i live over 2 hours from the shop so I asked if I could make arraignments to drop it off when they opened and pick it up before they closed that day. I was told no. I finally got to talk to the owner and he agreed to it. Dropped it off for a new string and “full” cleaning and tune. They called me a few hours later and said I was all set. I went and picked it up. I used their indoor range to shoot a few before I left. I then saw that it had not been cleaned. When I asked about it, I was told there was a mix up and I would have to leave the bow as that tech was gone for the day. The same tech that oiled my QAD rest and ruined it. I decided I needed a backup bow and then thought to myself, you can’t do any worse than the “tech”. Two new bows later and haven’t had anybody but me touch my stuff. I even changed the limbs on my Helix.

To be fair with a lot of bows you need to have them in hand to get the correct string and cables. I wouldn't count on someone telling me over the phone what it has, or if the stickers on the limbs match what is actually on the bow.

Some (darton) are hard to get once you have in hand and you really need to pull and measure.

TheViking

WKR
100% do my own work. 100% build my own arrows.

To truly know what your arrow is doing/not doing, you need to learn every aspect of it - tuning, building arrows, spine, etc .I've definitely made some mistakes along the way, but that's also how you learn.

87TT

WKR
To be fair with a lot of bows you need to have them in hand to get the correct string and cables. I wouldn't count on someone telling me over the phone what it has, or if the stickers on the limbs match what is actually on the bow.

Some (darton) are hard to get once you have in hand and you really need to pull and measure.
It was a little over a year old Hoyt Powermax and they build their own strings. If an issue with the string being different than the limb sticker had come up , I would have understood. And this is the biggest and best known shop around. No problem though now because I only have me to blame if it’s not right. When I bought that bow from a different “dealer”, their tech couldn’t even figure out how to get the peep straight.

OP
Billy Goat
It was a little over a year old Hoyt Powermax and they build their own strings. If an issue with the string being different than the limb sticker had come up , I would have understood. And this is the biggest and best known shop around. No problem though now because I only have me to blame if it’s not right. When I bought that bow from a different “dealer”, their tech couldn’t even figure out how to get the peep straight.

Well I wouldn't want a set of cables or string that was turned around that fast. I'm a believer in letting them sit under tension for 24 hrs.

Now, everyone is different.

But as the shop they would have gotten blamed had you taken it home and it all settled poorly too.

Not really trying to defend them, just seeing a side to it.

87TT

WKR
I’m sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear but they were going to make the strings ahead of time whether I left it or not. If there turned out there was a problem, I would have been totally understanding and left it. I ended up having to leave it anyway as they screwed up. Another 4 hrs plus on the road for their mistake. Big takeaway I got was, I needed a backup bow and the next step would be self sufficient and not play the tech roulette game and spend Time and fuel on the road when I could be shooting.

I bring mine to a small local shop, good to support a local business and spend more of my time on other things. Great for those that can tune and repair their own.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
In the process of getting set up. I've been doing all my own arrows the past couple years but within the next year I plan to be set up to do everything but build strings. I like to tinker and I think learning to work on your own set up is a major confidence booster.

feanor

WKR
My next project when time allows, is to machine a hand full of broadheads in left over metals I have from knife making. 3V, 4v, magnacut, aebl and d2. Should be interesting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I do not see how I could have the same level of experience as Mike Carter so I take my bow to him even thou he is a few hour drive. Carters Archery, Cameron MO.
I bought a bow from him about 13 years ago I think. I sent him my rest and an arrow and he did his thing. It showed up with such horrible top cam lean that it was close to derailing. It drew like an 80lb bow and had almost zero let-off and valley. That was the last time I bought a bow from a shop.

I do all my own work except make strings. When I started this obsession 17 years ago, the shop owner told me that it was his goal to make me self-sufficient so I could it all on my own. I learned a lot from him.

Shosky

FNG
I use my home shop but try to learn as much as I can from them. At some point I'll invest in a vise, press, and draw board.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from the bow shop today, which was the third time over the last week to adjust things I can't at home. They changed the strings last week and I been getting tired of shooting making a list of what I need adjusted and go back to have them adjust. I just need to clean my garage and make space for a press and draw board.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Just got back from the bow shop today, which was the third time over the last week to adjust things I can't at home. They changed the strings last week and I been getting tired of shooting making a list of what I need adjusted and go back to have them adjust. I just need to clean my garage and make space for a press and draw board.
Throw it on a bloody shelf and set it up when needed. Not ideal, but works. Unless you mean make enough space to store it.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Throw it on a bloody shelf and set it up when needed. Not ideal, but works. Unless you mean make enough space to store it.
Yeah after the past week, I'm clearing off a shelf for it. Garage is very small unfortunately and all space is a premium

Archery range 15 miles away has a bow press, another guy and I split materials and tools. Have worked in 4 shops now so know my way around decently.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah after the past week, I'm clearing off a shelf for it. Garage is very small unfortunately and all space is a premium
I understand that, have a similar situation. My Easy Green lives on a shelf and I use C-clamps to clamp the press to a board and then clamp the board to a stool.

Having worked in or managed shops off and on for a lot of my adult life, I do all my own work at home. I support to local shop (Spokane Valley Archery) with as much buying business as makes sense for my wallet, but the actual work is done by me.

BWSmith

FNG
Full on professional cabinet/furniture/millwork facility with a dang sweet machine $ fabrication shop to back it up. So yeah,we work on bows....

Only been shooting compounds a cpl years. Have been building and shooting trad bows for 50.

Made a compound string fixture last year that looks like it could be a centerfold for an industry calendar. Combining work from both the wood side and metal.... watched some videos.... and still haven't made one? Have made hundreds of Flemish trad strings. I'll get to a compound strings one of these days.

I do 100% of the tuning myself and have a full setup in the basement.

Having two small boys it’s the only way I have time to do anything with my bows.

I ended up learning over the years to do my own work. Now I have a full shop in my garage and work on 4 or 5 other buddies bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sommeguy

FNG
Arrow building is a great deal, but idk how much I trust portable presses or want to commit to a proper bench setup