The Company you Keep

Status
Not open for further replies.

OXN939

WKR
Whether we like it or not, the world of hunting is at a crossroads that will determine much of its future. Every year recently, there are more and more PR disasters for our sport. Many are smaller; some are severe enough to make national headlines. The common theme is that this phenomenon is being driven to a new level by the desire for likes and attention on social media.

This is not the perspective of a Luddite. I personally have a limited private social media presence, and recognize that realistically, this is a large part of the way hunts will be documented and celebrated in the future. Where it gets hairy is the intersection of social media and advertising. Since the only really important metric is how much attention a profile gets and there aren't any actual qualifications to post, some of the largest representatives of our sport end up being people who have essentially no idea what they are doing or are willing to do anything, no matter how absurd or illegal, that generates likes. And so each fall, respectful outdoorsmen end up watching mortified as a roll of posts hashtagged "hunting," "biggamehunting" and "outdoorsman" show up next to pictures of gut shot animals taken at unethical distances by novice hunters seeking a ten percent off code with their favorite brand. Or worse. The sad reality is that many of these stunts do more to advance the agenda of radical anti hunting organizations like CDB or PETA than anyone in those groups ever will.

So SM isn't going anywhere, and we can't control who claims our sport for personal gain. What we can do is police ourselves. Obviously, there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. Profanity, unwarranted personal attacks and unsubstantiated allegations are a bad look for everyone. However, there must be an open and healthy discourse about what is acceptable to put out publicly as the face of our community. I have personally talked with friends in the industry about where the line is between sharing a hunt that didn't go perfectly as a learning experience, bending the truth to conceal mistakes and present a different story than what really happened, and simply not posting something at all if it isn't a good look. And there's more at stake here than just the immediate fallout from tactless attempts to generate engagement... the hunting ethics of the generation that will dominate the woods 20 years from now is currently being defined by what we allow to be elevated on social media.

So, maybe we police ourselves (in the right way) a little before we get policed from the outside. Just the thoughts of a bored guy in an airport, worth what ya paid for it. Let me know what I missed.

I agree with you. Self policing is the only way to gain credibility in the eyes of people who are neither hunters nor anti-hunters. I lived in a place for a while where a couple of Forest roads had hundreds of trees that were shot up so bad that some of them actually fell over. That’s when I understood why some people are anti-gun. The only way for the gun community to have any credibility is to condemn nonsense like that.

Here’s an idea: stop supporting manufacturers who support “influencers”… and absolutely stop supporting manufacturers who give poachers a pass.

Manufacturers don’t need influencers to sell items. They can advertise like everyone else, word of mouth being a big one. I don’t need Joe blow on Instagram to tell me what pack or tent I should buy.

IMO the only people getting paid to hunt should be guides… while we’re not going to put the celebrity hunter genie back into the bottle, we can start eliminating the influencers from the bottom. With free gear and money eliminated from the equation, a regular guy or girl doesn’t have much lasting motivation to do stupid/illegal shit so they can gain likes.

SDHNTR

WKR
How about everyone just hunt for their own personal enjoyment and fulfillment and that’s it? Instead of acting like preteens, starved for attention! Likes and clicks and followers are ruining our beloved sport. “Influencers” can only influence if we allow them to, so DON’T. If you “follow” people you’re part of the problem. All these jackoffs need to get real jobs! They are poison to the industry. Matt Rinella for President!

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
Gotta protect the “industry” I mean who knows when you’ll need to partner up with that other influencers or share a sponsor with them or need them for a promo or giveaway

I absolutely agree hunters are the best to clean up our own ranks. It disgusts me how many slime balls are allowed to function within it. I just saw another celebratory post today of an industry hunt with multiple influencers hunting with someone who works as a guide and yet apparently in revoked themselves

I agree that if we do not police or own ranks others will and the outcome will be less than desirable for us as hunters. Call out the bad ones and stick to it, it's the only way to sort out the bad apples.

SDHNTR

WKR
I agree that if we do not police or own ranks others will and the outcome will be less than desirable for us as hunters. Call out the bad ones and stick to it, it's the only way to sort out the bad apples.
That’s the problem, by the very nature of what influencers do, they are all bad apples. Bastardizing and Whoring out our sport for personal gain, to the detriment of the masses.

Hunt quietly!

Rmauch20

WKR
I think as long as you don’t name anybody specifically this could stay open. You can’t piss off the influencers, You have to keep that in mind incase folks need a collab later.
I’ll say it again. I really hope one day Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and all social media platforms ban any hunting related content.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We can’t speak the truth on here or the thread will get locked or deleted!

I think as long as you don’t name anybody specifically this could stay open. You can’t piss off the influencers, You have to keep that in mind incase folks need a collab later.

Anyone who doesn't like how this free-to-you website is run is welcome to leave. We do our best to keep Rokslide positive and informational. It doesn't mean we always get it right, but we do try.

Once again, if you don't like it, leave.

49ereric

WKR
Minnesota voters approved (77%) a referendum in 1998 is make hunting and fishing a constitutional right so not worried.
Treaty Rights for Native American ban members has been a right.
Fishing hunting & gathering has infringed upon by the state for decades but these days the state doesn’t want to go to federal court cuz they’ll lose like Wisconsin did. I doubt Minnesota will charge a Native ban member anymore since they lost in Operation Square Hook.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I really hope one day Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and all social media platforms ban any hunting related content.
I’d be lying if I said I’ve never watched a YouTube hunting show or followed an influencer on FB or Instagram.

Not anymore. Most of it ranges from embarrassing to down right nauseating.

The quote above, would be the best thing to happen to hunting.

I would think that the ramifications of an anti-defamation lawsuit would deter people from calling people out by name unless they were 100% certain of what they were claiming.

woods89

WKR
I agree with the op. I'm pretty much done consuming youtube and related social media content. The only thing I can do is not give clicks.

I also am looking more and more into the backpacking gear companies rather than hunting gear companies, where appropriate. I realize that in sports outside of hunting some of the same things are happening, and these companies do dabble in those fields, but the whole gear/influencer relationship just seems so incestuous anymore.

Hunting is not something that translates into media very well. In my opinion very few content creators are able to do it well. Early Meateater did fairly well, but I can't enjoy their content anymore. It's kind of like broadcasting the intimate details of your marriage, meant to be experienced, but not necessarily shared widely, although that is certainly not a perfect analogy.

I would think that the ramifications of an anti-defamation lawsuit would deter people from calling people out by name unless they were 100% certain of what they were claiming.
The video evidence that was posted this morning made it pretty certain. Not sure why that video was taken down from this site. It's still on youtube.

This will stem from yesterday's deleted thread on ElkSHape. He is a "local". I see him at the archery shop OFTEN. Was just next to him at a stop light last week.

I am not here to pile on him and the allegations...only to point out that:

I think he's on Mathews Archery Field Staff....get's either free bows or reduced priced bows.
Seems to have a new, huge addtion to his compound and home
Truck is getting constant upgrades and new gadgets
He's hunting many states every year
Brand new KTM dirt bike :ROFLMAO:

Unless he is completely overwhelemed with credit card debt.....he's making a killing $$$$ off of hunting and publicizing it for a living.

It must work????

Would I like to hunt for a living and get paid ???? For sure

Do I hate that Hunting is now a "Thing"??? I for sure do. Most of my posts are borderline deletable....as I am simply not a fan of the new "hunting" generation, and flat brims and gucci gear and Insta posts.

I've worked closely with National Park Service, BLM and USFS this year. All public places have been OVERRUN in the last 3 years. Social Media has opened the doors and shown EVERYONE what's out there. Be it monuments, fishing holes, river adventure, or hunting.

Regardless of your outdoor passion....nothing is a secret anymore and the entire outdoors is getting shit on by the masses

The video evidence that was posted this morning made it pretty certain. Not sure why that video was taken down from this site. It's still on youtube.
Haven’t seen it but sounds like the person posting had good intentions based on that. I don’t know what kind of liability the administrators have but can see how they would want to avoid getting involved in a dispute…
This is a tough topic all around

Would I like to hunt for a living and get paid ???? For sure

Do I hate that Hunting is now a "Thing"??? I for sure do. Most of my posts are borderline deletable....as I am simply not a fan of the new "hunting" generation, and flat brims and gucci gear and Insta posts.

I've worked closely with National Park Service, BLM and USFS this year. All public places have been OVERRUN in the last 3 years. Social Media has opened the doors and shown EVERYONE what's out there. Be it monuments, fishing holes, river adventure, or hunting.

Regardless of your outdoor passion....nothing is a secret anymore and the entire outdoors is getting shit on by the masses
Very true.

I have been so fed up with it that I have dialed back my investment in hunting and chased other hobbies a little more in recent years. Ironically one of them is dirt biking.

Status
Not open for further replies.