Tikkas and Suppressors

OP
NateK

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
One makes an animal measurably more deader than the other?
The end result isn't all that matters... I've shot well over 100 deer with .223's, .30-30's, .308's, 6.5's, and bigger guns and had clean kills with all of them but there is a difference in typical performance and likelihood of deflection/disintegration, or penetration issues of any particular round.

Reactions: WRO

WKR
The end result isn't all that matters... I've shot well over 100 deer with .223's, .30-30's, .308's, 6.5's, and bigger guns and had clean kills with all of them but there is a difference in typical performance and likelihood of deflection/disintegration, or penetration issues of any particular round.
Do not engage with the Small Caliber Convertists. Don't make eye contact. Just keep walking.

They will lure you in with phrases like, "good day, sir. Do you like to or want to shoot bear, elk, and moose?" Or, "do you shoot most of your animals inside of 600 yards?" Then its, "Id like to talk to you about small caliber hunting rounds to save you from your path!"

Next, they are giving you things to read. Nobody really reads all of it, you get the gist. Maybe it even makes sense to you. You do shoot animals inside of 600 yards. And you do wonder if you flinch a little. You definitely wish ammo was cheaper and you practiced more......

All you wanted was to get through the airport and get home, but now you're being converted. You're shopping for 223 tmks and a new tikka. Before you know it, you're back at the airport. Except this time, you're giving the reading material and giving unsolicited advice to save people.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Do not engage with the Small Caliber Convertists. Don't make eye contact. Just keep walking.

They will lure you in with phrases like, "good day, sir. Do you like to or want to shoot bear, elk, and moose?" Or, "do you shoot most of your animals inside of 600 yards?" Then its, "Id like to talk to you about small caliber hunting rounds to save you from your path!"

Next, they are giving you things to read. Nobody really reads all of it, you get the gist. Maybe it even makes sense to you. You do shoot animals inside of 600 yards. And you do wonder if you flinch a little. You definitely wish ammo was cheaper and you practiced more......

All you wanted was to get through the airport and get home, but now you're being converted. You're shopping for 223 tmks and a new tikka. Before you know it, you're back at the airport. Except this time, you're giving the reading material and giving unsolicited advice to save people.
This made me laugh! Just to have a little more innocent fun with it...
1697157382532.png
I have to admit I am probably well on my way to being the one on the right at this point, thanks Form!

Is this post of the year?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For a 30 call Tikka thread it to 9/16-24, then use a Precision Armament or AB adapter to take it up to 5/8-24.
I think maybe Form and a few others state there is zero issue running a step up adapter going from 1/2" to 5/8" and they can be had for under $50. The manufacturers' say exactly opposite.
AB (the maker of my suppressor) offered to sell me an adapter as it would be cheaper than a new direct thread mount.

So, not all manufacturers say the opposite. Most actually encouraging stacking tolerances in the form of muzzle breaks. I would not want to use an adapter to connect a muzzle break to then connect a suppressor, but the duplicity of a manufacturer that sells muzzle break connections and says not to direct thread onto an adapter is glaring.

Marshfly

WKR
Most suppressors are available in some sort of mount like the TBAC CB mount. Those mounts are available in all sorts of threads. You don't need a thread adapter. You just buy the right mount for the threads on your rifle.

My Griffin suppressor mounts to the 1/2-28 threads on my Tikka using only the Taper Mount that I bought directly from Griffin that uses 1/2-28 threads that is good up to 9mm caliber.

The Tikka T3x lite barrel has enough meat to get 5/8"-24 threads on it, just not enough for a good shoulder. There are quite a few smiths who will thread your barrel and add a shoulder so that you don't have to use an adapter at all. AK Tinhorn posted pics earlier in the thread. Here is mine. It only cost me $30 more for this than it would have to just chop and thread the barrel. The pic is of a T3x lite in 6.5 Creedmoor that was cut to 18"IMG-3102.jpg

Oldffemt

WKR
Most suppressors are available in some sort of mount like the TBAC CB mount. Those mounts are available in all sorts of threads. You don't need a thread adapter. You just buy the right mount for the threads on your rifle.

My Griffin suppressor mounts to the 1/2-28 threads on my Tikka using only the Taper Mount that I bought directly from Griffin that uses 1/2-28 threads that is good up to 9mm caliber.
Which griffin are you using? I’ve been using a recce7 for about 10yrs and my son just got an explorr out of jail. The explorr is very attractive for my next can. I’m hoping for a Black Friday sale and I may just buy 2 of them.

Marshfly

WKR
Which griffin are you using? I’ve been using a recce7 for about 10yrs and my son just got an explorr out of jail. The explorr is very attractive for my next can. I’m hoping for a Black Friday sale and I may just buy 2 of them.

It’s my first can and I just got it out of jail a month ago. Sportsman Ultralight 338. I ordered it when my plan was a Weatherby Backcountry in 338 RPM as a mountain rifle. Between then and now my opinion has totally changed and the rifle will now be a 6.5 PRC. But if I ever buy a big caliber for a Brown bear or whatever hunt, it will work.

That said it’s light enough to be fine for use by my wife and kid hunting and good lord does it quiet a 20” 6.5 CM. Damn near 22 LR sound levels. 8” long and 12 ounces really isn’t that bad when you compare it to most cans especially for the versatility.

About to put a TBAC Ultra 5 in jail for the PRC build however. I don’t mind ear pro at the range and just want hearing safe for hunting shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
About to put a TBAC Ultra 5 in jail for the PRC build however. I don’t mind ear pro at the range and just want hearing safe for hunting shots.

The Ultra 5 has been discussed quite a bit on here, “hearing safe” is extremely questionable. That it is extremely loud is not.

Marshfly

WKR
The Ultra 5 has been discussed quite a bit on here, “hearing safe” is extremely questionable. That it is extremely loud is not.

I get that. This would be exclusively for hunting to tame an 18” 6.5 and be the most packable setup I can put together. I’m not looking for ultra quiet nor will this be my only suppressor.

Extremely loud would be the same rifle unsuppressed. Which is where I am now with a 22” 270 Win with nothing on the muzzle. Adding a TBAC 5 would no doubt be a huge improvement.

fwafwow

WKR
Are you saying the Ultra 5 is still extremely loud and not hearing safe, or that it’s not extremely loud, but it’s also not hearing safe? I’m very conservative on “hearing safe” and I don’t subscribe to the “it’s only a shot or two when hunting” point of view. I don’t own an Ultra 5 but I’m about to head to a stand today with an Ultra 9 on my 16.5” RSS and can’t decide if I’m good to go or should also carry ear pro. And I’m already hearing damaged and whistle along to my tinnitus all day long.

Antares

WKR
If you’re sitting in a stand (and already have tinnitus), why not wear an electronic head set?

fwafwow

WKR
If you’re sitting in a stand (and already have tinnitus), why not wear an electronic head set?
Good question. I definitely wear the head set when at the range (even when alone). In the stand the head set gets old after a while (hearing everything gets tiring), and it’s just one more piece of gear and I *try* to take as little as possible. I can plan to take and put on when needed, but that really only works if I’m in a box blind.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Are you saying the Ultra 5 is still extremely loud and not hearing safe,

In the field with obstacles and the ground to reflect sound, the Ultra 5 being hearing “safe” is extremely questionable. It is a loud can. Certainly better than no suppressor, but there is almost no scenario where I would choose to use one, let alone buy one.

I’m very conservative on “hearing safe” and I don’t subscribe to the “it’s only a shot or two when hunting” point of view. I don’t own an Ultra 5 but I’m about to head to a stand today with an Ultra 9 on my 16.5” RSS and can’t decide if I’m good to go or should also carry ear pro. And I’m already hearing damaged and whistle along to my tinnitus all day long.

The Ultra 9 is hearing safe- no question.

Marshfly

WKR
In the field with obstacles and the ground to reflect sound, the Ultra 5 being hearing “safe” is extremely questionable. It is a loud can. Certainly better than no suppressor, but there is almost no scenario where I would choose to use one, let alone buy one.

The Ultra 9 is hearing safe- no question.

So rather than 18” 6.5 PRC and TBAC 5 I should go 16.5” and TBAC 7.

Trying to do this right from the beginning. I’m really used to how the 22” barrel feels in the woods in a pack and don’t want to add much if any length to that.

The goal is good terminal velocity with the ELDM 147 and the Berger 156 EOL and any reasonable distance. Out to 800 yards or so if I choose to.