Theory of how red states/cities turn from red to blue

Billinsd

WKR
Not according to various articles found online. More people leaving than coming in. I could see the numbers being possibly skewed due to illegal immigration. But, CA welcomes them with open arms so there isn't much to try and hide from.
I think you are right. Officially, slightly more people are leaving.

Azone

WKR
Not according to various articles found online. More people leaving than coming in. I could see the numbers being possibly skewed due to illegal immigration. But, CA welcomes them with open arms so there isn't much to try and hide from.
Possibly skewed?

rclouse79

WKR
Let me get this straight. I can move somewhere that is way cheaper and isn’t a giant crap hole? Let’s slap a “Blue Girl Red State” bumper sticker on the car and hit the road! Boy are they going to be happy to have me.

Interesting thoughts.

tkae a town like Bozeman. 60k people. Add 500 or 1000 former califorians to that mix. They are vocal. Have some money. Pretty quick you politics start to tilt left. Rinse and repeat.

Warmsy

WKR
I was discussing this exodus from California recently with a friend.

Im in northern California, in one of the hardest left- leaning areas, and I would like to leave fir many reasons. Many reasons I like it here, as well.

My thought is that people leaving are fed up, and NOT looking to turn their new home into the place they left. Are you guys really seeing people leaving California and demanding/ vocalizing change on a level that would change your way of life?

I'm not denying that it's happening, but it seems these folks are being villianized before they even move. All the "red state"(so to speak) folks I know are holding tight. We're a minority here, but the artists and weed folks know who builds there homes and fixes leaky shit, and treat us fine. I wonder if staying here until everything crashes is the best bet, then we'll be ground floor in the rebuild?

I think California in general gets a lot of undeserved flack when it comes to these types of arguments. Many so-called Californians aren’t actually from California at all (or at least they weren’t when I lived there), but migrated to California for one reason or another, then leave to go spread their bs somewhere else. I was born and raised in Northern California back in the 60s and 70s, and it was going on then the same as it is going on now. People from other parts of the country loved the whole idea of what they thought California is, so they migrated there. Then, they end up moving somewhere else, and call themselves Californians, only to then again spread their liberal bs. Chances are, if you go anywhere outside of the major cities of California, ie., LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, etc., you will more than likely find many, many more conservatives then liberals. California gets a bad rap from its major cities, which are the primary destination points for people from other parts of the country with their “California” idealism‘s. Anyway, enough of my rant, carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
That is right. The vast majority of legal and illegals need support, at least initially and that's the big reason they vote Democrat.
I think you’d all be surprised how wrong you are about some illegals, specifically Mexicans, that despise the left and are super conservative. I’m talking strictly California and the entire south west Mexican immigrants. I have worked along side them (1st generation mainly) and they love guns and conservative values and hate the woke culture. They have pretty harsh ideas that in no way aline with the left. I wouldn’t post the conversations I’ve had with them online lol. Just pointing out my experiences.

Now 2nd generation who get free education at our universities can be just as woke as a liberal 25 year old white girls. No bueno!!

Billinsd

WKR
I think you’d all be surprised how wrong you are about some illegals, specifically Mexicans, that despise the left and are super conservative. I’m talking strictly California and the entire south west Mexican immigrants. I have worked along side them (1st generation mainly) and they love guns and conservative values and hate the woke culture. They have pretty harsh ideas that in no way aline with the left.
Yes, my experience has been the same. They are extremely traditional and family oriented. I say many vote left mostly for the benefits that they need. I don't really blame them.

Azone

WKR

Im in northern California, in one of the hardest left- leaning areas, and I would like to leave fir many reasons. Many reasons I like it here, as well.

My thought is that people leaving are fed up, and NOT looking to turn their new home into the place they left. Are you guys really seeing people leaving California and demanding/ vocalizing change on a level that would change your way of life?

I'm not denying that it's happening, but it seems these folks are being villianized before they even move. All the "red state"(so to speak) folks I know are holding tight. We're a minority here, but the artists and weed folks know who builds there homes and fixes leaky shit, and treat us fine. I wonder if staying here until everything crashes is the best bet, then we'll be ground floor in the rebuild?
There is no point in moving if we’re just gonna move to somewhere that will turn into to what we’re running from. I’d like to believe that everywhere will not fall to radical progressives, but after seeing how much has changed who knows what the hell will happen anymore.

Then there are the people that I know who have left this state then just cuss up and down about everyone else leaving and moving to their state. Like as if once they left, lock the gate behind them and screw everyone else.

With all that being said though I have seen and ran into numerous people from CA while in another state and just shake my head and think the stereotype of tree hugging morons is well deserved.

I think California in general gets a lot of undeserved flack when it comes to these types of arguments. Many so-called Californians aren’t actually from California at all (or at least they weren’t when I lived there), but migrated to California for one reason or another, then leave to go spread their bs somewhere else. I was born and raised in Northern California back in the 60s and 70s, and it was going on then the same as it is going on now. People from other parts of the country loved the whole idea of what they thought California is, so they migrated there. Then, they end up moving somewhere else, and call themselves Californians, only to then again spread their liberal bs. Chances are, if you go anywhere outside of the major cities of California, ie., LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, etc., you will more than likely find many, many more conservatives then liberals. California gets a bad rap from its major cities, which are the primary destination points for people from other parts of the country with their “California” idealism‘s. Anyway, enough of my rant, carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
California is the blue bug zapper light for all the crazies.

I think you’d all be surprised how wrong you are about some illegals, specifically Mexicans, that despise the left and are super conservative. I’m talking strictly California and the entire south west Mexican immigrants. I have worked along side them (1st generation mainly) and they love guns and conservative values and hate the woke culture. They have pretty harsh ideas that in no way aline with the left. I wouldn’t post the conversations I’ve had with them online lol. Just pointing out my experiences.

Now 2nd generation who get free education at our universities can be just as woke as a liberal 25 year old white girls. No bueno!!
I’ve met quite a few Mexicans who love guns and hunting just as much as the next guy and are great people and have become good friends with.
I’ve also met plenty that are here ******* the system and could care less about the country, just use it and move on and fantasize about CA turning back into Mexico.
I’ve worked with both types and the former I would go to bat for any day of the week, the latter, not so much.
The first generation remembers what they were escaping and how they had to go without, the second, third and fourth generations can become complacent and entitled.
Anymore though complacency and entitlement seem to sum up most Americans.

MattB

WKR
I think immigration is the key to gerrymander historically conservative states. Drop in a few million people, give them "amnesty", make them citizens with the right to vote and you quickly turn most states.

I saw a tv show recently that said the number of illegal immigrants in the US could be as high as 30 million. That is a bigger population than the state of Texas. Much larger number than politicians are admitting.

There is a reason why Democrat's want to provide them "amnesty" and give them the right to vote and it isn't to ensure fair elections.
When I was born, California was 10% latino and it is now 41%. Not to.mention how many folks move here for work from other states. It is funny in some regards that people have so much vitriol towards Californians when so many are not even "from" here.

TBHasler

WKR

Come visit Austin, TX. Granted it’s always been weird and a little hippieish, but over the last 10 yrs it’s jumped the shark. CA influx has been substantial and they’ve shifted the liberal activist political culture substantially.

MattB

WKR
Yes, my experience has been the same. They are extremely traditional and family oriented. I say many vote left mostly for the benefits that they need. I don't really blame them.
Most vote democrat because of republican rhetoric around illegal immigration. The grand irony is that in CA a major reason illegals come here is to work for republican farmers.

Gobbler36

WKR
Alright this is just a random thought / speculation...

Over a beer was joking with friends about how you can predict the waves of Californians (or the extreme liberals in general) moving into a traditonally red state/city/area etc. And the cause/effect behind it:

Step 1: Large successful companies relocate an HQ or open a major office in an up and coming area/city in a red state as it comes with significant tax and labor law advantageous. But the HQ’s typically need a lot of college educated workers.

Step 2: Specifically, they want new college grads for non-management positions as they are cheaper labor, have less baggage, etc. College hires are majority liberal, and now more woke and indoctrinated into the zombie cancel culture than ever. So the waves of these ‘employee types’ come from far and wide to the formerly red area, as the companies recruit them and relocate them. Again, they are cheaper and easier to manage legally speaking.

Step 3: As the location and eventually the state turns more blue (because of the influx of these ‘employee types’), taxes and labor laws protecting the workers increase. So the company eyes another location, which is typically a state/city with low taxes and conservative business and labor laws, but in a location that could potentially draw college new hires.

Repeat the cycle.

This is over a decades long timeline. And recently the major companies are of course big tech. Manufacturing did the same years ago, but moved to countries like China vs another state. High-tech could one day do the same as the fed government raises corporate taxes and the board members and executives taxes.

My background is Human Resources and ive worked for a fortune 100 company that I helped setup shop in Austin over a decade ago. The CEO saw the opportunity to get HQ out of California then. Now they are turning that area blue as i helped recruit those college new hires from california, new york, etc. (dont hate me, had no idea what would come of my actions).

again random thought to share with those who like to read this stuff. Sorry its not hunting specific. Hopefully entertaining.
I’d say your spot on

TBHasler

WKR
Most vote democrat because of republican rhetoric around illegal immigration. The grand irony is that in CA a major reason illegals come here is to work for republican farmers.
I’m not sure I agree with this. The “rhetoric “ comes from being fed inaccurate media BS. Generally, the conservative approach to immigration is simple and be summed up as follows...”agreed, we’re a nation of immigrants. Immigrants that came here because of the principles and freedoms the country was founded on - to adopt and embrace them, not change them. We have laws about immigration, follow them and we’re good.”

That's part of it. Overwhelming who do the foreign nationals coming across from Old Mexico vote for? The hippie Southwest art Culture. The hippie art culture was Overwhelming when I was in Santa Fe in the late 70s. I didn't care for it one bit. New Mexico is fascinating in that there were Mexicans living there on ranches in the 1800s pretty independent from Mexico City and then became part of the US. They say the border was moved on them. There are still decendents of these people who feel a bit sympathetic to those crossing over illegally, however they are different from them, obviously. Then there are Mexicans who immigrated legally. That's three different groups.
But when you see an overwhelming support for (R) candidates in towns like Cuba, it makes you go hmmm...