Possible Relocation to Tri-Cities, TN area

Finn16

WKR
My wife and I are recently retired and looking to move from Colorado to an area closer to our son and his family who live in Winston-Salem, NC. We'd like to be within 3 hours of them.

WS is too big for us plus we'd like to be closer to the mountains and in an area with more public land. We did an exploratory trip to SW Virginia (Abington and Christiansburg) recently and are now have a trip planned to the Tri-Cities area of TN. We will be there for a week in mid-July.

We'd like a town with city parks that have shaded hiking trails for walking the dog and ourselves. Also good: restaurants, shopping, doctors and dentists and within 2 hours of a major hospital. I'd like decent public land hunting for deer and turkeys. I will admit that hunting in those steep mountains is going to be a challenge as I'm in my late 60's.

From what I've been able to gather, this part of the country is seeing a lot of people moving in. Real estate prices are higher than I expected and houses sell very quickly. Also lot sizes are very small and a good bit of new construction is underway. I'll likely be dead by the time it really blows up so that isn't a major concern.

I'd like to hear from anyone from that area on the pros and cons of living there along with any other suggestions/comments that may prove helpful.

Thank you!

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
You could look into the Asheville, NC area as well. It's close to WS and has a very outdoorsy culture. Though it's vicinity to the Biltmore and it's growing popularity may affect housing prices as well.

NC, TN, GA, WV all have a lot of what you're wanting within a relatively close distance to WS.

OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
You could look into the Asheville, NC area as well. It's close to WS and has a very outdoorsy culture. Though it's vicinity to the Biltmore and it's growing popularity may affect housing prices as well.

NC, TN, GA, WV all have a lot of what you're wanting within a relatively close distance to WS.
Thanks but Asheville isn't our cup of tea culturally.

Broadhead

FNG
I am from Abingdon, went to school in Radford, and worked in Christiansburg/Blacksburg before moving to Colorado. I don't have much experience with hunting public land back east as we could usually find a farmer or a friend that would allow us to hunt. I know the public land hunting can be pretty decent, especially if you get out of the truck and away from folks. I've had a few good friends shoot some nice bucks on public. Knocking on doors would be my recommendation. You aren't competing with outfitters like you are out west, so much higher success with this strategy.

That whole area has a lot of hiking trails and outdoor activities. Lakes are a huge deal, and you'd think you were at the beach with how crowded they can get on a nice summer day. I know the whole area has grown a ton since I moved west 8 years ago. Abingdon has a lot of new restaurants and is turning more into Bristol than it was previously.

If I were to move back, I'd try to find some land outside of one of the main towns/cities like Abingdon, Bristol, Christiansburg, or even Roanoke. You could have the country lifestyle but still be 30 minutes from downtown walking areas. I have less experience with actually living in Johnson City or Kingsport area but did visit those areas when we wanted to go to more civilization back in the day. Have not been back in 8+ years. Sounds like you're doing the right thing on taking a few exploratory trips as each area is a little different.

Bears

FNG
Have you considered going south, like Gastonia (NC)?
Walkable downtown, nearby proximity to the Blue Ridge mountains, large lakes nearby, not too far from a major city (Charlotte). Also some public land hunting around.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I wouldn't pick Asheville either.

Drenalin

WKR
This is spot burning on a massive scale. The area used to be nice; now there’s too many transplants and it’s going to hell.

Last edited:
OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
This is spot burning on a massive scale. The area used to be nice; now there’s too many transplants and it’s going to hell.
Would like more info on this. What is "spot burning" and what are the transplants doing to make the area going to hell?

tony

WKR
Johnson city TN is pretty nice. Large city but not too big.
Asheville, while I like to visit, I couldn’t live there. It’s the NC version of California

Come on over to WV!

OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
Asheville, while I like to visit, I couldn’t live there. It’s the NC version of California

Come on over to WV!

WV would work just fine for me but not for the wife.

Would like more info on this. What is "spot burning" and what are the transplants doing to make the area going to hell?
When transplants start voting for the same policies they fled, it doesn’t take long to burn a spot. Tn has been a major hotspot for transplants. Our housing market has double and in some cases tripled or more. Locals can no longer afford houses, driving them out.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I live outside of the city limits in Boone, NC (45 minutes from Johnson City).

If you want rural but relatively easy drives to Johnson City/Boone/Abingdon, Butler, TN is worth looking at. Watauga Lake is one of the prettiest and cleanest in the country, the majority of the land around it is public land you can hunt on. You can find rural parts and still be close to amenities in Watauga, Ashe, and Avery counties in NC (all in the mountains). Johnson and Carter county check a lot of your boxes, Mountain City, TN (Johnson County) is a medium/small sized town with some rural areas and checks a lot of your boxes

I don't know if it was a joke or not, but there's no way in hell I would live in Gastonia. Asheville sucks except for good food options.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Ashville is a nice area, but I agree it is major woke/liberal. I was curious and started looking in some more rural areas within 30-50 miles in places like Boone, Burnsville... - they seem like they might offer a better fit. Only a couple hours from W-S.

jewbacca

FNG
I've lived in ultra liberal and ultra conservative areas, and some in between. I've never understood crossing off an area purely based on its left/right leaning. Echo chambers are boring.

KenLee

WKR

Come on over to WV!
Izza shithole. Asheville that is

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
If what I see every day is any indication, Pauline SC is where you want to be.
Everyone else does.
Phone calls , letters, knocks on my door.
No it's not for sale!
95% are either lieing developers, or have a northern accent.

There is some beautiful country around the NC/TN border with some great turkey and deer hunting in those mountains. If the hills are a bother I'd consider closer to WS like Hickory/Statesville. You're right in the pocket of Pisgah while being super close to WS.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
If what I see every day is any indication, Pauline SC is where you want to be.
Everyone else does.
Phone calls , letters, knocks on my door.
No it's not for sale!
95% are either lieing developers, or have a northern accent.

Never thought I'd see Pauline mentioned on Rokslide ... I grew up in Spartanburg, still have some friends in Pauline (went to Dorman). Even shot some dove there last September.

KenLee

WKR
Never thought I'd see Pauline mentioned on Rokslide ... I grew up in Spartanburg, still have some friends in Pauline (went to Dorman). Even shot some dove there last September.
God's country. He just allows this drunk sinner to hang out.
Grew up in Stone Station. Moved 5 miles down Hwy 215 to Pauline.

dogman11

FNG
I live in Bluff City and have traveled all around the country and world. To me we have just about everything you can want in the Tri-cities, damn the people are figuring it out! It's growing faster than i want it too!