Theory of how red states/cities turn from red to blue

Alright this is just a random thought / speculation...

Over a beer was joking with friends about how you can predict the waves of Californians (or the extreme liberals in general) moving into a traditonally red state/city/area etc. And the cause/effect behind it:

Step 1: Large successful companies relocate an HQ or open a major office in an up and coming area/city in a red state as it comes with significant tax and labor law advantageous. But the HQ’s typically need a lot of college educated workers.

Step 2: Specifically, they want new college grads for non-management positions as they are cheaper labor, have less baggage, etc. College hires are majority liberal, and now more woke and indoctrinated into the zombie cancel culture than ever. So the waves of these ‘employee types’ come from far and wide to the formerly red area, as the companies recruit them and relocate them. Again, they are cheaper and easier to manage legally speaking.

Step 3: As the location and eventually the state turns more blue (because of the influx of these ‘employee types’), taxes and labor laws protecting the workers increase. So the company eyes another location, which is typically a state/city with low taxes and conservative business and labor laws, but in a location that could potentially draw college new hires.

Repeat the cycle.

This is over a decades long timeline. And recently the major companies are of course big tech. Manufacturing did the same years ago, but moved to countries like China vs another state. High-tech could one day do the same as the fed government raises corporate taxes and the board members and executives taxes.

My background is Human Resources and ive worked for a fortune 100 company that I helped setup shop in Austin over a decade ago. The CEO saw the opportunity to get HQ out of California then. Now they are turning that area blue as i helped recruit those college new hires from california, new york, etc. (dont hate me, had no idea what would come of my actions).

again random thought to share with those who like to read this stuff. Sorry its not hunting specific. Hopefully entertaining.

That's not what happened to NM. It is the stupid southwest art and culture that attracted all the hippie rejects from other areas. The major industry was oil and gas forever until the liberals infected the state. Kids that grow up on ranches and farms or come from a line of oilfield workers are not part of that woke crowd that are liberally minded.

NM has nothing to offer much anymore outside of a completely random draw for hunting, and then for the visiting hunter, it's great...

TBHasler

WKR
This is likely way too complex and nuanced to break down on this forum - or any other. I agree with some of your “steps” outlined above. What separates you/your beer buddies and the gen pop is that you were “thinking” and even reflected on your past actions and their consequences.
At the simplest level, this is why areas change from what you like to something you don’t - in general people don’t think much these days. And they think about their actions/decisions and the repercussions even less. Most of the cultural changes we’re seeing are inevitable when you look in retrospect. But that only helps you see what a sh!tshow you’ve created after you create it. We need more thinking, prospective thinking, morals, conscience, goodness, etc.
Ultimately, I’m not very hopeful that our species can figure it out, but from time to time I do get surprised.
Here’s to hoping for lots of surprises.

bsnedeker

WKR
Maybe, but your theory doesn't explain the influx of liberals to Whitefish, MT. I would blame that all the rich tourists who come from out of state, see how much better life is out here, and decide to RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE!!! Lol!

Mosby

WKR
I think immigration is the key to gerrymander historically conservative states. Drop in a few million people, give them "amnesty", make them citizens with the right to vote and you quickly turn most states.

I saw a tv show recently that said the number of illegal immigrants in the US could be as high as 30 million. That is a bigger population than the state of Texas. Much larger number than politicians are admitting.

There is a reason why Democrat's want to provide them "amnesty" and give them the right to vote and it isn't to ensure fair elections.

260madman

WKR
I think immigration is the key to gerrymander historically conservative states. Drop in a few million people, give them "amnesty", make them citizens with the right to vote and you quickly turn most states.

I saw a tv show recently that said the number of illegal immigrants in the US could be as high as 30 million. That is a bigger population than the state of Texas. Much larger number than politicians are admitting.

There is a reason why Democrat's want to provide them "amnesty" and give them the right to vote and it isn't to ensure fair elections.
They can vote. Nobody gives a crap. It’s rigged in somebody’s favor and it isn’t mine.

Billinsd

WKR
That's not what happened to NM. It is the stupid southwest art and culture that attracted all the hippie rejects from other areas.
That's part of it. Overwhelming who do the foreign nationals coming across from Old Mexico vote for? The hippie Southwest art Culture. The hippie art culture was Overwhelming when I was in Santa Fe in the late 70s. I didn't care for it one bit. New Mexico is fascinating in that there were Mexicans living there on ranches in the 1800s pretty independent from Mexico City and then became part of the US. They say the border was moved on them. There are still decendents of these people who feel a bit sympathetic to those crossing over illegally, however they are different from them, obviously. Then there are Mexicans who immigrated legally. That's three different groups.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I thought they just voted in government and laws that turned places into such shitholes that they just left to go ruin someplace else
Many certainly do. Most leave liberal hell holes for opportunity and lower housing. Most can't think or reason to ever comprehend cause and effect. Some leave the city to be in the outdoors. Plenty leave and don't want to change the place they move to. This is more true with people who move to small, rural towns. People that move from a liberal hell hole and move to a town of 50,000 or more are going to expect it to be like home. I'm similar in that I'd really prefer to have a Costco, Walmart and a good sporting goid store. Those are the big city things I love and would be hard to part with. However that's a supply and demand thing.

Mt Al

WKR
Other thoughts:
-Montana has had people moving in primarily from Washington, Minnesota and California forever and we had the biggest red wave we've ever had. The Dem governor out raised the Republican sitting senator by over 40%, and lost by a mile. Bozeman, Whitefish and Missoula are liberal elite bubbles, but the state didn't go blue - quite the opposite.
-Sometimes the Republican running is a complete idiot and very hard for independent minded people to vote for. The only reason Matt Rosendale won in Montana is how bad and liberal his oppoent was, he's very lucky. The point is to WIN THE ELECTION vs. blather about crazy shite, then squeal that you lost. My total guess is that's what happened in Georgia with the nut job Dems they voted in. Spare me the hate, love her policies and would vote for her in a second, but Noem on a presidential ticket is a sure looser unless the Dems are total nut jobs. We saw this before with McCain picking Palin as a VP. When he made that very poor choice, he chose to lose, no matter how much you like her. To keep a red state red, you need to run someone who can win vs. who you personally love. Republican's SUCK at strategy.
-Dems definitely want to settle illegal or legal immigrants in red states to turn the tide. No question. That's part of the recipe.

Azone

WKR
California is trashed and the disease is looking for a new host. Had to drive up into the Bay Area to purchase some equipment today, the drive up 880/580 looks like a third world country in a lot of places. It’s disgusting up there, I don’t see how people enjoy living in that environment.

Billinsd

WKR
Other thoughts:
-Montana has had people moving in primarily from Washington, Minnesota and California forever and we had the biggest red wave we've ever had. The Dem governor out raised the Republican sitting senator by over 40%, and lost by a mile. Bozeman, Whitefish and Missoula are liberal elite.
The woman that owned the motel I stayed in Baker was from Dana Point, California. North of San Diego on the Coast. Absolutely gorgeous town, rival weather anywhere on earth!! Her and her husband were career management employees at the Hilton I think. They saved their money, bought a motel in Eastern Mt and Eastern Wy and started a family. The woman was extremely Conservative and said Western Wyoming and Montana were extremely liberal. That's where the artists, espresso shops, malls and hypocritical millionaires live, and vacation because of the beauty of the mountains. Same thing happened in Colorado Front range, Sun Valley Idaho, Ski towns in Western Colorado. Eastern Montana and Wyoming are Petroleum, agriculture and cattle and extremely Conservative. This woman liked Baker, however she did go stir crazy. Guess what she did? She left to go home to California for vacations to scratch that civilization itch. I talked to a woman at a liquor store and she new a woman attorney from New Jersey that flew in to chill out and charge her batteries and then go back. Seems like most big city types that move to rural towns like the towns the way they are.

Billinsd

WKR
California is trashed and the disease is looking for a new host. Had to drive up into the Bay Area to purchase some equipment today, the drive up 880/580 looks like a third world country in a lot of places. It’s disgusting up there, I don’t see how people enjoy living in that environment.
Alot of it is California is BURSTING AT THE SEAMS!! There are so many legal and illegal people streaming into California and from other parts of the country. My little town of 50k next to the city of San Diego recently got a 32 pump gas station at the Costco a mile from my house. This Costco is huge and both the gas station and store are bursting. San Diego has built on most land it can and houses are being torn down and apartments built in their place. My house built in 1984 was built in between to property lots that were divided. San Diego and other cities are getting denser and denser and property prices rising over 10% per year. People are flooding into California faster than those fleeing.

Billinsd

WKR

That is right. The vast majority of legal and illegals need support, at least initially and that's the big reason they vote Democrat.

Rob5589

WKR
Alot of it is California is BURSTING AT THE SEAMS!! There are so many legal and illegal people streaming into California and from other parts of the country. My little town of 50k next to the city of San Diego recently got a 32 pump gas station at the Costco a mile from my house. This Costco is huge and both the gas station and store are bursting. San Diego has built on most land it can and houses are being torn down and apartments built in their place. My house built in 1984 was built in between to property lots that were divided. San Diego and other cities are getting denser and denser and property prices rising over 10% per year. People are flooding into California faster than those fleeing.

Not according to various articles found online. More people leaving than coming in. I could see the numbers being possibly skewed due to illegal immigration. But, CA welcomes them with open arms so there isn't much to try and hide from.