What does it take to kill a grizzly?

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
There has been such a focus on bears in the .223 thread I thought I’d start a thread on what I think it takes to actually kill a bear. I am not a guide, other people have killed more bears then me. But I have killed lots of black bears, I mentored other hunters to their first bear, and I’ve killed two grizzlies solo. I’ve done this with everything from a .375 Ruger down to a .308 shooting low recoil youth loads that put it more in the category of a 6.5 Grendal.

First, I don’t care if someone brain shot a bear with a .22 rifle. That is a cool story but I don’t know anyone who wants to limit themselves to brain shots only while bear hunting. Here is what needs to happen to kill a bear reliably in a hunting situation that could turn into a self defense situation if a bear charges after being hit.

On a broadside shot a bullet needs to punch through the ribs and the lungs. If it exits that is nice but not totally necessary. Form has covered this idea in the Shoot2Hunt podcast. Its not unusual for a bullet to stop just under the skin because the skin acts like a trampoline. In other words, if your bullet stops just under the skin after going through 20 inches of one bear, it doesn’t mean the bullet will stop after going through 20 inches of a bigger bear. On a bigger bear it might go through more then 20 inches of vitals and stop under the skin.

On a quartering too shot, the bullet needs to go through a bit more muscle and maybe, a shoulder bone. Scapulas are not big deal. A brown bear’s arm bone is not huge like a bovine. If my memory is correct my 8 foot grizzly had about a 1.5 inch bone, maybe less. It was definitely less then a moose shoulder bone and probably equal to an elk, maybe less (I have never killed an elk but I have looked at elk skeletons). My only interest in breaking bones is that in some situations a bullet needs to go through a shoulder to get to the vitals. The idea of “breaking a bear down” with a shoulder hit is silly. I’ve seen bears run away very fast with a smashed shoulder.

In a head on charge situation, you want a bullet that is able to punch through a bear’s skill to hit the brain. Again, a bear’s skull is not bullet proof. If a bullet can’t make it through a bear’s skull its probably not a bullet you should be hunting with anyway. Maybe a huge grizzly has a thicker skull but the skulls I’ve seen wouldn’t stop a normal hunting bullet that could also go through a rib cage or shoulder bone of a bear or elk.

I have seen various theories on the internet about “hydrostatic shock” with the idea being if I hit an animal with a big caliber bullet or a fast enough bullet it will drop instantly. Form has quoted academic articles arguing that hydrostatic shock is a myth. I can’t speak to that but I have never seen a bear drop instantly with anything other than a brain shot. All we know for sure is that animals die when they bleed enough or their CNS is disrupted. So unless we are taking brain shots we want to make a big hole in a bear’s chest, and then get ready to shoot it again if necessary.

So to summarize, a brown bear killing bullet is nothing magical. It needs to punch through roughly the same amount of meat and bone as a bullet for elk or moose. After that, it needs to create a wide enough wound channel to quickly deprive the brain of oxygen.

Now the part we can argue about...
If I recall, it has been agreed by people like Form that a .223 does make a smaller hole than a .308 or 6.5 with an equivalent bullet. The argument in the .223 thread is that the bigger wounds of the bigger calibers don’t translate to quicker killing in deer or elk. I would argue that if a .223 can reliably kill elk it could reliably kill brown bears. But “reliably killing” might still involve animals running a bit after being hit. Not a big deal with an elk. With bears it can lead people to freak out a bit.

In summary, I think the one area where the jury is still out is whether a bear might die a bit faster if hit with a bigger bullet that creates a bigger hole draining more blood faster. In other words, maybe a .308 would be worth a bit more blast and recoil compared to a .223. I don’t know. I haven’t had the chance to try a .223 or a .308 with really destructive bullets.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The last one I shot, I hit it with a 260g accubond out of my 375HH from about 200yds, did its roll/feet in the air thing then ran straight at me, when it saw me it peeled to its right then the light went out and it pretty much face planted and died.

I like to think it was a quick sting then the lights just went out. At the time that it saw me and peeled away, it was probably like 50yds from me.

I’m all about the 6.5 and 223, I’m no authority figure but in my own. Person opinion the 6.5
and 223 kick ass and people should keep shooting stuff with them.

For me, if brown bears are what’s on the menu, I’d probably keep packing my 375. Or at least my 30-06 which would also flatten a bear.

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
That is a good data point because it's very similar to my combo for grizzly (260 Partition in a 375 Ruger).
I'd say the two fastest black bear kills were a .308 with a slow 125 gr SST and a .358 with a 225 gr Swift A Frame. So sort of opposite ends of the spectrum.

ElPollo

WKR
Shouldn’t the discussion be focused on what wound channel measurements you want to reliably kill a bear hit in the vitals from common angles? What depth and diameter and distance to upset or fragmentation? Once you have criteria established you can pick a bullet and required speed to get you there. It seems to me that most of the combos people pick for big angry bears are maximizing penetration to the point where they can realistically go through the bear lengthwise at the cost of wound channel diameter.

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I think you are correct but I haven't been measuring wound channels so I'm not in a position to say you need x amount of wound channel. The idea of the .223 thread is that anything bigger than the wound created by a 77 gr TMK is diminishing returns on ungulates. I don't think anyone has data on grizzly bears to say that. My intent was to lay out some parameters for a more intelligent discussion

ElPollo

WKR
I think you are correct but I haven't been measuring wound channels so I'm not in a position to say you need x amount of wound channel. The idea of the .223 thread is that anything bigger than the wound created by a 77 gr TMK is diminishing returns on ungulates. I don't think anyone has data on grizzly bears to say that. My intent was to lay out some parameters for a more intelligent discussion
So I have zero experience with killing the Big Angry Bear, so this is all hypothetical. I’m sure we could come up with some estimate of chest cavity depth for inland and coastal bears. That’s really the big factor. If you want to be able to hit both lungs, you’re likely to want average about 15% more penetration in 10% ballistics gel than a full pass through on a chest to account for angular shots. Then you want to maximize your wound cavity width while still reaching that depth on average. It’s a different way of thinking about it, and it’ll probably give very different answers than Phil Shoemaker’s .458.

svivian

WKR
I think one thing you have left out of your discussion that I've seen argued (as well as a thread about) is the premise that you can accurately shoot more rounds repeatedly/rapidly with the .223 than a larger caliber.

Edit: I read the new stuff on the .223 thread and see we are going over stuff that's already been argued 2 or 3 times.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
They can be snuck up on and killed with anything. Conventional guide wisdom says the bigger bullet the better for one that’s upset and coming at you and your sport from short range at 46 feet per second. Most any argument against an M4 with 30 rounds of 77TMK being the best brown bear stopper on the planet will quickly be crushed here at Rokslide primarily by those who have never been in the situation. And around and around it goes…at the end of the day all of it is 99% big talk anyway.

Here’s a couple pics from a taxidermy brown bear at the Cody Museum. My comparisons aren’t great.

2ecfa1a1ed93ee2dd6f6c72e64b5dce1.jpg

04cc258b63c4bdc81537638a8abc8b88.jpg

5cc32f908f045105e029d243d0804ba1.jpg

I’ll throw the easy answer here with good shot placement into the vitals and/or CNS. This allows for multiple types of bullets from a multitude of different cartridges.

ElPollo

WKR
They can be snuck up on and killed with anything. Conventional guide wisdom says the bigger bullet the better for one that’s upset and coming at you and your sport from short range at 46 feet per second. Most any argument against an M4 with 30 rounds of 77TMK being the best brown bear stopper on the planet will quickly be crushed here at Rokslide primarily by those who have never been in the situation. And around and around it goes…at the end of the day all of it is 99% big talk anyway.

Here’s a couple pics from a taxidermy brown bear at the Cody Museum. My comparisons aren’t great.

2ecfa1a1ed93ee2dd6f6c72e64b5dce1.jpg

04cc258b63c4bdc81537638a8abc8b88.jpg

5cc32f908f045105e029d243d0804ba1.jpg
No offense intended, but I think it is wise to question any argument that starts with “conventional wisdom says…”

gbflyer

WKR
No offense intended, but I think it is wise to question any argument that starts with “conventional wisdom says…”

That’s fair. I wonder though how dozens upon dozens of bear guides who want everyone to go home without bite marks can be so wrong but a couple folks here armed with no first hand knowledge can be so right? The only way to know is to get some guides or AK Fish and Game wildlife troopers to start carrying M4’s with 77tmks and go into the alders with 3’ visibility after a couple pissed off and wounded bears.

Grundy53

WKR
That’s fair. I wonder though how dozens upon dozens of bear guides who want everyone to go home without bite marks can be so wrong but a couple folks here armed with no first hand knowledge can be so right? The only way to know is to get some guides or AK Fish and Game wildlife troopers to start carrying M4’s with 77tmks and go into the alders with 3’ visibility after a couple pissed off and wounded bears.
Guides are also the ones who push .30 calibers for elk. They aren't necessarily experts on what works. They just get to see a lot of inexperienced/unprepared folk with inadequate shooting skills/training. They think bigger bullets make up for that.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
P1110128.JPG

Here is my grizzly that was 8 foot from claw tip to claw tip. If we zoom in on the picture we can get a reasonable idea of the width of the chest area. When I zoom in the edge of the hide is at the 18 inch mark near the rifle's butt. Now a bit of that is probably fur but lets take a worst case scenario for this bear since the skin was probably stretched a bit on the bear. That means the circumference of the bear's chest is 5 feet. If we plug a circumference of 5 feet into a calculator we will come up with... 19 inches across the chest, assuming the bear's chest is perfectly round (close enough).
So for a broadside on my bear we want 19 inches of penetration.

9b.JPG
This is what we believe to be the same bear a different day at a bait site camera someone had. You can get an idea of the size compared to the barrel.

So that is an 8 foot bear that I'd consider a bit on the rangy side. They are fatter. So lets say we have a super fat fall bear with his belly almost dragging the ground and a chest circumference of 7 feet. If we plug in the numbers that gives us roughly 26 inches for a broadside shot.

How about an 11 foot monster? Well common sense says the belly/chest won't be wider than the arms. So lets guess the circumference at 8 feet. That means a chest diameter of roughly 30 inches.

So to be safe I'd prefer a bullet that penetrates between 20 and 30 inches to account for angles. If it was a really big monster I'd try to make sure it was a solid broadside. Now that MIGHT mean the 223 is a bit lacking. But the counter argument would be that a bear that has a 30 inch chest MIGHT not stop a bullet any better then an elk with an 18 inch chest. The extra width is mostly on the inside, we aren't adding 12 inches of muscle, a lot of that extra is lung tissue.

20230827_210835.jpg

Now for comparison here is a cow moose. Why show a moose? Well, I watched a friend shoot a moose with a 150 gr. SST bullet out of a 308 at fairly close range. That bullet did come apart a bit but it was found under the hide on the opposite side. Just like my .358 bullets in moose, and my .375 Partition bullets in grizzlies. So, based on my small sample size, I think a .308 with reasonable bullets could broadside a grizzly just fine. I haven't shot a moose or grizzly with anything smaller but readers of the .223 thread might compare notes.

Now my caution. Lets imagine it is charging and you are pumping lead into it. The brain shot is a possibility but the brain is maybe soft ball sized. Ideally if you miss the brain you want to hit the chest. That won't necessarily be an instant kill but it can seriously slow a bear down and its way better then throwing rocks. To reach the chest vitals in a charge situation you might just have to shoot through the front of the chest, or your bullet path might involve weird combinations of check, neck muscle, chest muscle or possibly a shoulder that gets in the way in order to reach the vitals in the chest. A worst case scenario there might be one place where a somewhat tougher bullet might be nice. I'm not suggesting a .375 with 300 grain Barnes, but a bullet that is more than "just enough" to get into the chest cavity broadside.

My views are evolving quickly. I don't mind trying new things, I was a pretty early adaptor of ultralight backpacking back when it was a fringe thing. Last spring I wasn't following these new developments in caliber choices. So I might change my mind. But right now, in 2024, here are my thoughts. I'd feel good shooting my 8 footer again with something smaller then my .375 Ruger. Probably a suppressed .308 would be my choice. If I was being conservative I'd use heavier ELDX bullets (200 gr maybe?). But I'd probably feel just fine with a 168 gr. bullet. If I went smaller I'd probably go straight to an AR15. At one point the idea of a tiny bold action ultralight .223 sounded pretty good. But my current thinking is that I might give up some stopping potential so the logical trade off would be to go with an AR15 that could put more rounds on target in case one wasn't an ideal hit. So who knows, I might be hunting with a lightened AR this fall.

Attachments

• P1110129.JPG
    P1110129.JPG
    562.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
View attachment 705539

Here is my grizzly that was 8 foot from claw tip to claw tip. If we zoom in on the picture we can get a reasonable idea of the width of the chest area. When I zoom in the edge of the hide is at the 18 inch mark near the rifle's butt. Now a bit of that is probably fur but lets take a worst case scenario for this bear since the skin was probably stretched a bit on the bear. That means the circumference of the bear's chest is 5 feet. If we plug a circumference of 5 feet into a calculator we will come up with... 19 inches across the chest, assuming the bear's chest is perfectly round (close enough).

View attachment 705544
This is what we believe to be the same bear a different day at a bait site camera someone had. You can get an idea of the size compared to the barrel.

So that is an 8 foot bear that I'd consider a bit on the rangy side. They are fatter. So lets say we have a super fat fall bear with his belly almost dragging the ground and a chest circumference of 7 feet. If we plug in the numbers that gives us roughly 26 inches for a broadside shot.

How about an 11 foot monster? Well common sense says the belly/chest won't be wider than the arms. So lets guess the circumference at 8 feet. That means a chest diameter of roughly 30 inches.

So to be safe I'd prefer a bullet that penetrates between 20 and 30 inches to account for angles. If it was a really big monster I'd try to make sure it was a solid broadside. Now that MIGHT mean the 223 is a bit lacking. But the counter argument would be that a bear that has a 30 inch chest MIGHT not stop a bullet any better then an elk with an 18 inch chest. The extra width is mostly on the inside, we aren't adding 12 inches of muscle, a lot of that extra is lung tissue.

View attachment 705540

Now for comparison here is a cow moose. Why show a moose? Well, I watched a friend shoot a moose with a 150 gr. SST bullet out of a 308 at fairly close range. That bullet did come apart a bit but it was found under the hide on the opposite side. Just like my .358 bullets in moose, and my .375 Partition bullets in grizzlies. So, based on my small sample size, I think a .308 with reasonable bullets could broadside a grizzly just fine. I haven't shot a moose or grizzly with anything smaller but readers of the .223 thread might compare notes.

Now my caution. Lets imagine it is charging and you are pumping lead into it. The brain shot is a possibility but the brain is maybe soft ball sized. Ideally if you miss the brain you want to hit the chest. That won't necessarily be an instant kill but it can seriously slow a bear down and its way better then throwing rocks. To reach the chest vitals in a charge situation you might just have to shoot through the front of the chest, or your bullet path might involve weird combinations of check, neck muscle, chest muscle or possibly a shoulder that gets in the way in order to reach the vitals in the chest. A worst case scenario there might be one place where a somewhat tougher bullet might be nice. I'm not suggesting a .375 with 300 grain Barnes, but a bullet that is more than "just enough" to get into the chest cavity broadside.

My views are evolving quickly. I don't mind trying new things, I was a pretty early adaptor of ultralight backpacking back when it was a fringe thing. Last spring I wasn't following these new developments in caliber choices. So I might change my mind. But right now, in 2024, here are my thoughts. I'd feel good shooting my 8 footer again with something smaller then my .375 Ruger. Probably a suppressed .308 would be my choice. If I was being conservative I'd use heavier ELDX bullets (200 gr maybe?). But I'd probably feel just fine with a 168 gr. bullet. If I went smaller I'd probably go straight to an AR15. At one point the idea of a tiny bold action ultralight .223 sounded pretty good. But my current thinking is that I might give up some stopping potential so the logical trade off would be to go with an AR15 that could put more rounds on target in case one wasn't an ideal hit. So who knows, I might be hunting with a lightened AR this fall.
View attachment 705539

View attachment 705544

View attachment 705540

Without getting into whether a massive bear is 18” or 30” across, it doesn’t matter- the difference in muscle and bone depth is only a few inches from an average black bear to a huge record Brown Bear. Everything between the ribs is virtually air and has almost zero effect on bullet penetration depth. 12” penetration through properly calibrated organic 10% ballistics gel and any of the barriers- wood, wallboard, sheet metal, and especially auto glass; is going through both lungs regardless of angle when put into the front half.

gbflyer

WKR
Guides are also the ones who push .30 calibers for elk. They aren't necessarily experts on what works. They just get to see a lot of inexperienced/unprepared folk with inadequate shooting skills/training. They think bigger bullets make up for that.

That’s fair about guides. What about the AK wildlife troopers? The guys the NPS rangers called to sort out the bears that consumed Mr Treadwell and his friend in the National Park. Also inexperienced and unprepared with inadequate shooting skills? I think they like 12ga. Brenneke slugs. Those kick like a bitch too.

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Form can you clarify your method of comparing gel to flesh? Are we assuming gel is a 1 to 1 for meat with the chest cavity and lungs counting for less?

I'm hoping to take a Sawzall out on some of our less remote hunts to get a cross section of ribs and shoulders so I have something objective to talk about. As I recall grizzly ribs were about equal to elk ribs and I don't remember a ton of meat there. My moose was another matter. We cooked the ribs and I think the meat and ribs together were a solid inch. Then I believe there was another layer I cut off separately that was another half inch. The 308 went through that just fine.

Grundy53

WKR
That’s fair about guides. What about the AK wildlife troopers? The guys the NPS rangers called to sort out the bears that consumed Mr Treadwell and his friend in the National Park. Also inexperienced and unprepared with inadequate shooting skills? I think they like 12ga. Brenneke slugs. Those kick like a bitch too.
I doubt they are using a 12 Guage with slugs for precision shooting. More likely close quarters work. I bet they don't use those on their personal hunting trips.