The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Beendare

WKR
I smoked you Maverick.....the Vanguard Tech ETF- VGT it averaged about 19% per year for the last decade. Thats doubling your money every 4 years....run the numbers.

The young guys Dollar cost averaging into that as part of their investment strategy for the next 20 years will thank me.

What is the one sector that is more and more of your life? Technology...and its only going to continue.

CorbLand

WKR
I smoked you Maverick.....the Vanguard Tech ETF- VGT it averaged about 19% per year for the last decade. Thats doubling your money every 4 years....run the numbers.

The young guys Dollar cost averaging into that as part of their investment strategy for the next 20 years will thank me.

What is the one sector that is more and more of your life? Technology...and its only going to continue.
VOO has about equal return rates and a .03 expense ratio. Do you think that VGT is a better investment than VOO?

RMM

WKR
I'm pretty new to stocks, index's, ETF's etc.. Say a guy had an extra 10k laying around. (Current locked into a 5% CD until January). What would be a fairly safe investment with optimal returns? I'm looking for something that I can continue to dump money into and compound interest..

CorbLand

WKR
I'm pretty new to stocks, index's, ETF's etc.. Say a guy had an extra 10k laying around. (Current locked into a 5% CD until January). What would be a fairly safe investment with optimal returns? I'm looking for something that I can continue to dump money into and compound interest..
Stocks dont really pay interest. Some pay a dividend that you can set to auto reinvest.

Easiest and low risk options would be any of the SP500 tracking funds. VOO is the one that I put most of mine into.

What is your time line for needing the money?

Reactions: RMM

RMM

WKR
Stocks dont really pay interest. Some pay a dividend that you can set to auto reinvest.

Easiest and low risk options would be any of the SP500 tracking funds. VOO is the one that I put most of mine into.

What is your time line for needing the money?
After doing some reading, VOO seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for. Can you invest the money on your own? Say, through robinhood?

BBob

WKR
After doing some reading, VOO seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for. Can you invest the money on your own? Say, through robinhood?
You could but...Do you have a Roth IRA started? If not and you are investing for the long term I'd start there. Most brokerages wants or wanted $3K to start up an IRA. Can't say I'm current on that though. If you don't have $3K save/invest until you do and then take that money and start your Roth. Fully fund that Roth every year first before you invest excess moneys elsewhere.

CorbLand

WKR
Yep. Trades just like a stock so really simple.

I am not sure if Robinhood limits what you can and cannot purchase. Haven't used it in years. I use Fideltiy but that is because my 401A is with them so its easier to keep everything in one place.

If your income level allows, I would look at opening a Roth IRA, also not sure if you can do that through Robinhood. You wont pay taxes on any gains in a Roth if you wait until retirement age to take them out.

Last edited:

RMM

WKR
You could but...Do you have a Roth IRA started? If not and you are investing for the long term I'd start there. Most brokerages wants or wanted $3K to start up an IRA. Can't say I'm current on that though. If you don't have $3K save/invest until you do and then take that money and start your Roth. Fully fund that Roth every year first before you invest excess moneys elsewhere.

Yep. Trades just like a stock so really simple.

I am not sure if Robinhood limits what you can and cannot purchase. Haven't used it in years. I use Fideltiy but that is because my 401K is with them so its easier to keep everything in one place.

If your income level allows, I would look at opening a Roth IRA, also not sure if you can do that through Robinhood. You wont pay taxes on any gains in a Roth if you wait until retirement age to take them out.
I'm a federal employee with a TSP retirement account that is a Roth IRA so all of my retirement deductions go into that. I really appreciate the insight fellas

CorbLand

WKR
I'm a federal employee with a TSP retirement account that is a Roth IRA so all of my retirement deductions go into that. I really appreciate the insight fellas
Does the Fed offer a Health Savings Account? Those are triple tax protected and some offer the ability to invest.

I am a State employee. We get 14.2% given to us in a 401A and I put an additional 500 a month into my HSA and 50 into my IRA. I keep 5000 in my HSA not invested (half my yearly max out of pocket) and invest the rest. Reduces my taxable income for the year and I dont pay any taxes on it or the gains if I dont pull it until retirement age.

RMM

WKR
Does the Fed offer a Health Savings Account? Those are triple tax protected and some offer the ability to invest.

I am a State employee. We get 14.2% given to us in a 401A and I put an additional 500 a month into my HSA and 50 into my IRA. I keep 5000 in my HSA not invested (half my yearly max out of pocket) and invest the rest. Reduces my taxable income for the year and I dont pay any taxes on it or the gains if I dont pull it until retirement age.
We are offered an HSA. I currently don't participate because I don't know all of the ins and outs. Sounds like I need to look into it more

CorbLand

WKR
We are offered an HSA. I currently don't participate because I don't know all of the ins and outs. Sounds like I need to look into it more
I would look into it. A lot of people dont understand them and some offer some great incentives to utilize.

Reactions: RMM