The CPW Youth … err Secondary List is out.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think setting it up like a draw where you get notified by mass email if a tag is now available after the turn in deadline would work. It would work like a draw with maybe 2-3 iterations. At least this might keep a majority of tags off the secondary that shouldn't be there. Couple that with harsher penalties for returning a tag. And you are right, its thousands of tags so no small feat! But we shouldn't be in that position in the first place.
Probably would work, but let me ask you a question.

The current process works, it requires almost zero time and obviously no change to the system. All the tags get sold, they make the money back plus the 7 dollar application fee for everyone that enters the secondary draw. The tags still get sold, many to youth.

If you were in charge of this process for CPW why would you go through this “change”?

Ucsdryder

WKR
This would be ideal if they implemented @sndmn11 idea of you can only 2nd draw or get leftover tags that you applied for in the original draw… but right now it’s only an internet pipe dream…
If that happened I’d make a post on rokslide and complain that it wasn’t fair because my tag didn’t pop up but everyone else’s tag did and therefore I wasn’t getting to participate like everyone else! 😡

Hnthrdr

WKR
If that happened I’d make a post on rokslide and complain that it wasn’t fair because my tag didn’t pop up but everyone else’s tag did and therefore I wasn’t getting to participate like everyone else! 😡
Hey remember you can help your friends hunt whose tags did pop up… glass half full right?! 😁

This would be ideal if they implemented @sndmn11 idea of you can only 2nd draw or get leftover tags that you applied for in the original draw… but right now it’s only an internet pipe dream…
I think that is a brilliant idea and you are 100% right, it would help solve the issue. But since I know nothing will change, I will continue dreaming lol.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Probably would work, but let me ask you a question.

The current process works, it requires almost zero time and obviously no change to the system. All the tags get sold, they make the money back plus the 7 dollar application fee for everyone that enters the secondary draw. The tags still get sold, many to youth.

If you were in charge of this process for CPW why would you go through this “change”?
It definitely works from a $ perspective. Can't trust a government agency to be altruistic and put morals first.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I didn’t read it as immoral as much as they are lazy and will do the bare minimum and extract as much profit… I will say taking loads of money for tags that adults don’t have a shot at drawing is a tad sketchy… but also the adults that put in for them are pretty dumb

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t read it as immoral as much as they are lazy and will do the bare minimum and extract as much profit… I will say taking loads of money for tags that adults don’t have a shot at drawing is a tad sketchy… but also the adults that put in for them are pretty dumb
lol you think they’re being immoral? Come on bro…
So profit over people and actual wildlife management isn't immoral?

Ucsdryder

WKR
So profit over people and actual wildlife management isn't immoral?
You don’t have to participate. Nobody is forcing you to.

How is the current process of a secondary draw putting profits over wildlife? How is it putting profits over people?

CPW used to not have a return process. They actually listened to people and tried to help hunters by giving hunters an opportunity to return tags if needed and allow hunters to use those unused tags.

Before too many of you get your thongs in a bind, I suggest you listen to the video and wait for the proposal to be posted that will be pitched to the CPW Commission in July. It's going to likely change applicant behavior well into the future.

They are still working on the memo summarizing the recommendations. Once it is finalized, it will be posted on both the Engage CPW and CPW Commission webpages. That should be around July 8th.

You can watch the meeting here:

Last edited:
Well. I have made my donation ;). This is why I don't gamble. Deep in my heart I think I have a chance to win even though I know I won't. Wife approved the $8 bet. So at least we're good there. ha!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Going to take my money and buy lotto tickets. I have better odds at winning that and buying enough land for landowner tags than I do at drawing a tag that will 100% go to youth, but hey if people want to throw millions so cpw can reintroduce dodo birds so be it

It's not really a secondary draw when a lot of these tags take several points in the first draw, and a lot of people don't draw. In these cases it's a freebie to the youth hunters to get these tags that take a few years to draw outside of this freebie process. Youth already get a 15% preference allotment of many cow and doe tags during the primary draw. Do you really think that it makes logical sense that they should also get 100% preference in the secondary draw too? Seriously? This isn't about self, this isn't about fits, this isn't about emotions, it's all about logic and reason.

But it is the system that they have, so NR's should absolutely be training their kids to shoot a bow, and be applying for these secondary archery gift tags that pop up every year......that only cost $122.91, instead of the full $803.39 for the same tag as an adult. I'd be onboard for those tags every year. Makes it a much cheaper hunt.
Even if you barred youth from the secondary draw, the good tags are still >1% draw odds. Here's the link to the draw odds if you would like to check: https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx.

If you had your way "logic and reason" would suggest you would still effectively have no chance of drawing. It is hard enough to obtain tags even when you are passionate and know how to play the draw game. Any barrier to entry that we can reasonably remove to recruit more youth to protect hunting is a good thing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Even if you barred youth from the secondary draw, the good tags are still >1% draw odds. Here's the link to the draw odds if you would like to check: https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx.

If you had your way "logic and reason" would suggest you would still effectively have no chance of drawing. It is hard enough to obtain tags even when you are passionate and know how to play the draw game. Any barrier to entry that we can reasonably remove to recruit more youth to protect hunting is a good thing.
Please tell me how youth recruitment will protect hunting… we will never recruit our way into being a majority of the population, oh and if we did, you wouldn’t get to hunt anymore unless you were so wealthy you could buy tags or own a hunting preserve.

I am all for kids hunting, but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking R3 or youth hunts will bring about a miracle we will always be a minority.