The CPW Youth … err Secondary List is out.

I don't have kids so I am partially talking out of my ass. I dont believe how often you get taken hunting by dad or anyone else has much bearing on being a disiplined or good person. I do believe that most of our rifle hunts in Colorado take place during the school year and I do not think kids should be getting taken out of school for a week to come hunt in CO when some residents may struggle to get a tag and it is just flat out wrong to give NR kids a preference in the secondary draw over resident adults. Kids have a great opportunity in the primary draw and also have extremely liberal seasons for some tags making them higher success hunts than for an adult. I am all for getting kids hunting but not at my expense, I'm not there yet.

To be clear, there are many improvements CPW could make to their draw that have been discussed on here and I am not placing blame on a kid for me not having a tag at the moment. I understand there has to be a balance to keep the next generation engaged, but with the opportunities youth have in this state already the balance seems to be out of whack skewing farther towards youth. Throw a little R vs NR action in the mix and it's on!
I'm cool with you having your opinion about not taking your kid (if you are ever blessed as such) out of school for hunting. However, you obviously place a much higher value on formal education than I do. Substituting 1 week per year of formal "classroom" education to do something that is both hard and satisfying should be mandatory, in my opinion. Heck, I struggle with my kids not missing more than the 10% allowed before being considered chronically truant.

As for the NR youth given preference in CO, I'd be pissed if I was a resident and my youth didn't get a tag while a NR did.

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
In Co it’s not a stretch that they would want to grant preferential treatment to other groups. Kids already receive preferential treatment in the primary draw, there are RFW tags only for kids, and to top it off most tags that a youth hold they can hunt multiple seasons till filled with a cow or doe tag, maximizing chances at success. Do you think kids will only be interested in hunting if they harvest giant bulls and bucks? I don’t I think it’s more the experience and who they are with. If I’m not mistaken kids all over the country who have hunting parents can hunt with them, and won’t lose interest in hunting unless they get a primo Co tag
I am just going to quit commenting and quote you lol. This was the point I was trying to make previously.

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm cool with you having your opinion about not taking your kid (if you are ever blessed as such) out of school for hunting. However, you obviously place a much higher value on formal education than I do. Substituting 1 week per year of formal "classroom" education to do something that is both hard and satisfying should be mandatory, in my opinion. Heck, I struggle with my kids not missing more than the 10% allowed before being considered chronically truant.

As for the NR youth given preference in CO, I'd be pissed if I was a resident and my youth didn't get a tag while a NR did.
You are absolutely right education was paramount in my household and I ever have kids I will likely instill the same values. I am not saying it is the only way to become successful by any means, but it is one of the things I credit for my professional success which has led me to more opportunity as an adult. Unfortunately in todays game money = opportunity

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
If a tag gets turned in it should go to the next applicant that wasn't drawn. Pretty simple process.

Yes, after 3-4 years of watching the tag I applied for, just barely missed, and was willing to burn my points on. It’s a slap in the face to see it go during the second draw and leftover to guys that aren’t burning any points on it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Heck I have a fantastic idea! For all the dads that are so gung ho about kiddies hunting I’m going propose to the cpw that we allow any parent to gift their tag to a youth (12-18) year old in their immediate family, or heck to any youth. That way all of you guys who unselfishly want kids to hunt these tags can pass them along. Maybe I’ll even use it when my girls get older

KsRancher

WKR
Heck I have a fantastic idea! For all the dads that are so gung ho about kiddies hunting I’m going propose to the cpw that we allow any parent to gift their tag to a youth (12-18) year old in their immediate family, or heck to any youth. That way all of you guys who unselfishly want kids to hunt these tags can pass them along. Maybe I’ll even use it when my girls get older
Sounds like a great idea. Nothing better than going along while one of my kids hunts. Wouldn't bother me in the least if I never had another tag in my pocket as long as I could tag along on a hunt with one of my kids

In Co it’s not a stretch that they would want to grant preferential treatment to other groups. Kids already receive preferential treatment in the primary draw, there are RFW tags only for kids, and to top it off most tags that a youth hold they can hunt multiple seasons till filled with a cow or doe tag, maximizing chances at success. Do you think kids will only be interested in hunting if they harvest giant bulls and bucks? I don’t I think it’s more the experience and who they are with. If I’m not mistaken kids all over the country who have hunting parents can hunt with them, and won’t lose interest in hunting unless they get a primo Co tag

Sounds like a great idea. Nothing better than going along while one of my kids hunts. Wouldn't bother me in the least if I never had another tag in my pocket as long as I could tag along on a hunt with one of my kids

This system idea would be RIPE with abuse. Similar to point averaging is in Wyoming currently.

If a tag gets turned in it should go to the next applicant that wasn't drawn. Pretty simple process.

I agree. Been saying this for years.

Oh, and take the persons points who turned in the tag.... They can keep their money. But torch their points so they cant continue to be a $hitstain to the rest of us who are waiting patiently behind them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I agree I’m serious about trying to put it forward, I think it’s the best option for all. Not sure how it would be abused like some say since, whoever obtained the tag burned points and is out of the que, and if you limit it to immediate family, not sure how parents would abuse it? My wife collects points every year, she isn’t much of a hunter but grew up hunting and wants to be able to show her girls that it’s something they can do if they are interested in it in a few years.

More tags go to resident adults than one would think. Last year in the secondary deer draw resident adults got 61% of the tags and resident youth got 27%. I would say 88% of tags going to residents isn't bad.

Resident adult and youth got 78% in the elk draw. Not too bad if you ask me.

NR youth only getting 5% and 6% in deer and elk doesn't sound so bad either.
Look at you bringing stats and logic into this, you silly goose! Lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How self centered do you have to be to throw a fit about youth getting preference in a secondary draw.
It's not really a secondary draw when a lot of these tags take several points in the first draw, and a lot of people don't draw. In these cases it's a freebie to the youth hunters to get these tags that take a few years to draw outside of this freebie process. Youth already get a 15% preference allotment of many cow and doe tags during the primary draw. Do you really think that it makes logical sense that they should also get 100% preference in the secondary draw too? Seriously? This isn't about self, this isn't about fits, this isn't about emotions, it's all about logic and reason.

But it is the system that they have, so NR's should absolutely be training their kids to shoot a bow, and be applying for these secondary archery gift tags that pop up every year......that only cost $122.91, instead of the full $803.39 for the same tag as an adult. I'd be onboard for those tags every year. Makes it a much cheaper hunt.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Does the second draw cycle through your 1st-4th choices just like the regular draw? (except youth have preference).

Can't seem to find the answer on the website...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Does the second draw cycle through your 1st-4th choices just like the regular draw? (except youth have preference).

Can't seem to find the answer on the website...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes, youth get preference on choice 1-4 fyi