The CPW Youth … err Secondary List is out.

Everyone bitches and moans about turned in tags, second chances at tags, the re-issue list. Remember, a few short years ago, all those tags went straight to the trash. Now they're up fro grabs, and the "entitled" come out of the woods complaing. Many complaining are guys that drew high end tags and now want the rules to change so they can "get back in the game"

KsRancher

WKR
We had this disagreement last year. Percentages are a meaningless metric when all the "good" tags go to youth.

It's logical from the wrong point of view.
The "not good" tags still must be "good enough" for people to apply for them.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Everyone bitches and moans about turned in tags, second chances at tags, the re-issue list. Remember, a few short years ago, all those tags went straight to the trash. Now they're up fro grabs, and the "entitled" come out of the woods complaing. Many complaining are guys that drew high end tags and now want the rules to change so they can "get back in the game"
I couldn’t agree more. It would be easy for CPW to just say “if you guys want to whine about everything, we’ll just toss the tags in the trash”. Then all the whiners would really have someone to whine about.

Everyone that’s complaining, why don’t you have a tag already? I bet a bunch are building points, but complain they can’t have their cake and eat it too. Lots of tags were second choice, if you want a tag, get a tag and go hunt. Don’t complain.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
I couldn’t agree more. It would be easy for CPW to just say “if you guys want to whine about everything, we’ll just toss the tags in the trash”. Then all the whiners would really have someone to whine about.

Everyone that’s complaining, why don’t you have a tag already? I bet a bunch are building points, but complain they can’t have their cake and eat it too. Lots of tags were second choice, if you want a tag, get a tag and go hunt. Don’t complain.
I tried to draw out but was in the unlucky 35% that didn’t draw so now I have a point and there are 30 sum archery elk tags on the second draw that I would happily take and forfeit my point to have that tag

Ucsdryder

WKR
I tried to draw out but was in the unlucky 35% that didn’t draw so now I have a point and there are 30 sum archery elk tags on the second draw that I would happily take and forfeit my point to have that tag
Glass half full…you’re almost guaranteed to draw it next year.

Going forward if you want a tag every year make sure you have the points to cover it.

I’m 0-13 tags this year so far. I don’t own a tag, but am going on 2 antelope hunts, 1 Sheep hunt, 2 archery elk hunts, a late season cow elk hunt, and a moose hunt.

Crap, and if I’m not careful a 3rd rifle deer tag.

Last edited:
This is part of where my frustration comes in as well. My first choice option has several tags available yet I was part of the unlucky 30% that did not draw. I understand people turning their tags, but if a hunt code drew out all first choice options, then I feel all of the turned in tags should go to 'next in line'. The individuals that actually attempted to draw that tag with their first choice shouldn't be punished because others chose to turn in their tag.

I would gladly burn my points to get that tag right now, that was my intention from the very beginning. However, I don't even have that option based on how the system is set up.

This exact scenario happened for several friends/family members as well. I do think the theory of having to use points on any tag that drew out all first choice options would make it a much more even playing field.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like any "good" tags shouldn't even be on the list, they're only there because somebody returned them. Stop with the refunded points, it's silly.
Couldnt agree more. That's the main complaint of the thread really. There are hunt codes with a couple dozen tags that took multiple points that pop back up in the secondary. It would be nice if the only tags that popped up on secondary were tags that were refused by next in line people that put in for the tag or went to leftover. AKA the tags are actual surplus based on demand and not a lottery kickback.

We wouldn't be in this mess if CPW managed it better and punished the hunt equivalent of a "tire-kicker".

Ucsdryder

WKR
This is part of where my frustration comes in as well. My first choice option has several tags available yet I was part of the unlucky 30% that did not draw. I understand people turning their tags, but if a hunt code drew out all first choice options, then I feel all of the turned in tags should go to 'next in line'. The individuals that actually attempted to draw that tag with their first choice shouldn't be punished because others chose to turn in their tag.

I would gladly burn my points to get that tag right now, that was my intention from the very beginning. However, I don't even have that option based on how the system is set up.

This exact scenario happened for several friends/family members as well. I do think the theory of having to use points on any tag that drew out all first choice options would make it a much more even playing field.
I think it’s pretty simple. All of that takes work. Reaching out to the next person in line, waiting for a return call, if no return call and no email after X hours, emailing and calling the next person. All of this takes man hours to accomplish. Why spend the thousands of hours doing this throughout the season? What about a turnback in July or August? The next person will complain too. So now you’re calling 5 people to see if they want the tag for every tag turned back?! It’s literally thousands of tags.

At that point you’d see zero leftover opportunist and have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Couldnt agree more. That's the main complaint of the thread really. There are hunt codes with a couple dozen tags that took multiple points that pop back up in the secondary.

We wouldn't be in this mess if CPW managed it better and punished the hunt equivalent of a "tire-kicker".
I think it creates a lackadaisical attitude with applications, probably have guys applying just in case they wanna go and decide later, probably got guys googling up unit numbers and applying them researching after they draw and deciding they don't want it. Etc.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Glass half full…you’re almost guaranteed to draw it next year.

Going forward if you want a tag every year make sure you have the points to cover it.

I’m 0-13 tags this year so far. I don’t own a tag, but am going on 2 antelope hunts, 1 Sheep hunt, 2 archery elk hunts, a late season cow elk hunt, and a moose hunt.
I’m fully aware I’ll get it next year, honestly maybe for the best with a new baby coming in a few weeks, I hopefully have a tag or two this fall to hunt. I have friends with tags that I’ll likely help out with

I think it’s pretty simple. All of that takes work. Reaching out to the next person in line, waiting for a return call, if no return call and no email after X hours, emailing and calling the next person. All of this takes man hours to accomplish. Why spend the thousands of hours doing this throughout the season? What about a turnback in July or August? The next person will complain too. So now you’re calling 5 people to see if they want the tag for every tag turned back?! It’s literally thousands of tags.

At that point you’d see zero leftover opportunist and have nobody to blame but yourselves.
I dunno, with computer systems nowadays it should be pretty easy to roll in an alternate draw list in order and they automatically get selected when a tag is returned. Maybe shorten the period so the alternates aren't stuck in limbo for more than a week.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m fully aware I’ll get it next year, honestly maybe for the best with a new baby coming in a few weeks, I hopefully have a tag or two this fall to hunt. I have friends with tags that I’ll likely help out with

It’s never as fun when you don’t get to pull the trigger, but really close! 😜

Especially when it’s a really good tag you’ll likely never draw.

Pro tip, tell your wife you didn’t get a tag this year because you made the adult decision that helping your wife with a newborn was more important than hunting.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I dunno, with computer systems nowadays it should be pretty easy to roll in an alternate draw list in order and they automatically get selected when a tag is returned. Maybe shorten the period so the alternates aren't stuck in limbo for more than a week.
Maybe, but the process now is to email the person then call them. Once again, I don’t think they’re changing the whole system to make a few people happy that probably won’t be happy regardless.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I think it creates a lackadaisical attitude with applications, probably have guys applying just in case they wanna go and decide later, probably got guys googling up unit numbers and applying them researching after they draw and deciding they don't want it. Etc.
Or drawing better tags in other states ect and turning CO’s back in cause they know they get money and points back…

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s never as fun when you don’t get to pull the trigger, but really close! 😜

Especially when it’s a really good tag you’ll likely never draw.

Pro tip, tell your wife you didn’t get a tag this year because you made the adult decision that helping your wife with a newborn was more important than hunting.
Haha she would know it’s a lie… but I will attempt anyhow haha

I don't think it has to be that complicated at all. It can all be automated. I think you give the same amount of time or even less to turn tags in. At that point, next in line is notified they drew the tag (remember, they applied first choice originally). If they drew their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice they are no longer next in line. I agree with you, it's not something that should be handled by man hours. Automation all the way.

I also agree there comes a point where the cycle can't continue, but I'm willing to bet there are many individuals out there that would gladly take the tag they originally attempted to draw instead of seeing someone not willing to burn their points get a tag they didn't really care about in the first place.

There needs to be skin in the game when it comes to turning in tags AND picking up a tag in secondary or leftover and right now there isn't.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe, but the process now is to email the person then call them. Once again, I don’t think they’re changing the whole system to make a few people happy that probably won’t be happy regardless.
I think setting it up like a draw where you get notified by mass email if a tag is now available after the turn in deadline would work. It would work like a draw with maybe 2-3 iterations. At least this might keep a majority of tags off the secondary that shouldn't be there. Couple that with harsher penalties for returning a tag. And you are right, its thousands of tags so no small feat! But we shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I don't think it has to be that complicated at all. It can all be automated. I think you give the same amount of time or even less to turn tags in. At that point, next in line is notified they drew the tag (remember, they applied first choice originally). If they drew their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice they are no longer next in line. I agree with you, it's not something that should be handled by man hours. Automation all the way.

I also agree there comes a point where the cycle can't continue, but I'm willing to bet there are many individuals out there that would gladly take the tag they originally attempted to draw instead of seeing someone not willing to burn their points get a tag they didn't really care about in the first place.

There needs to be skin in the game when it comes to turning in tags AND picking up a tag in secondary or leftover and right now there isn't.
This would be ideal if they implemented @sndmn11 idea of you can only 2nd draw or get leftover tags that you applied for in the original draw… but right now it’s only an internet pipe dream…