The CPW Youth … err Secondary List is out.

Hnthrdr

WKR
That’s another annoying part, no they don’t do a redraw or anything. I think they will go down the line if the tag is 5+ points but I believe at some point they just put it back into the leftover list.

I see a deer and bear tag I applied for and didn’t draw on the list. My friend didn’t draw a bull tag with over 100 available on the list
Quick glance I saw several deer tags that are 5+ for residents… very frustrating

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
I'd gladly take a kid from another state whitetail hunting. Probably not a fair comparison though. I like to think I can instill discipline (whatever that means?) or raise a good person and also provide them with some pretty awesome out of state hunting trips.

I don't have kids so I am partially talking out of my ass. I dont believe how often you get taken hunting by dad or anyone else has much bearing on being a disiplined or good person. I do believe that most of our rifle hunts in Colorado take place during the school year and I do not think kids should be getting taken out of school for a week to come hunt in CO when some residents may struggle to get a tag and it is just flat out wrong to give NR kids a preference in the secondary draw over resident adults. Kids have a great opportunity in the primary draw and also have extremely liberal seasons for some tags making them higher success hunts than for an adult. I am all for getting kids hunting but not at my expense, I'm not there yet.

To be clear, there are many improvements CPW could make to their draw that have been discussed on here and I am not placing blame on a kid for me not having a tag at the moment. I understand there has to be a balance to keep the next generation engaged, but with the opportunities youth have in this state already the balance seems to be out of whack skewing farther towards youth. Throw a little R vs NR action in the mix and it's on!

Jimbee

WKR
I don't have kids so I am partially talking out of my ass. I dont believe how often you get taken hunting by dad or anyone else has much bearing on being a disiplined or good person. I do believe that most of our rifle hunts in Colorado take place during the school year and I do not think kids should be getting taken out of school for a week to come hunt in CO when some residents may struggle to get a tag and it is just flat out wrong to give NR kids a preference in the secondary draw over resident adults. Kids have a great opportunity in the primary draw and also have extremely liberal seasons for some tags making them higher success hunts than for an adult. I am all for getting kids hunting but not at my expense, I'm not there yet.

To be clear, there are many improvements CPW could make to their draw that have been discussed on here and I am not placing blame on a kid for me not having a tag at the moment. I understand there has to be a balance to keep the next generation engaged, but with the opportunities youth have in this state already the balance seems to be out of whack skewing farther towards youth. Throw a little R vs NR action in the mix and it's on!
I can understand folks being salty about youth/non resident youth getting dibs on these tags. I'm going to 100% disagree on taking a kid out of school once in a while to get to experience something they might never get to do again, whatever that may be. I'm going on a minimum of 1 western hunt a year with my teenage son as long as it's possible. Maybe I'll get struck by lightning tomorrow?

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said I don't have kids so I cannot really relate. I can't really imagine trying to tote one around on one of my hunts. I have a hard enough time being successful as it is, I would think a kid would be kind of miserable lol. Anyways best of luck to your kid getting a tag in the youth draw.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have kids, I don’t think that they deserve to cut ahead of everyone since they are young, this is public resource, not make a wish. There are plenty of youth only tags available for multiple seasons which will provide opportunities and a harvest. Yes it might not be opportunity at a 180 inch deer but if that’s what we think it takes to get a kid hooked on hunting they are getting set up for disappointment

Hnthrdr

WKR
Ah, wow. That is substantially different. Thanks.

What was the general consensus of that system?
I was a fan, it was far lesser known and it required you to opt into during regular draw, so required fore thought and planning, you could usually pull a tag or two off of it… the go hunt/ newberg type, watch my video “pick me” boys made sure everyone knows about everything now…

I was a fan, it was far lesser known and it required you to opt into during regular draw, so required fore thought and planning, you could usually pull a tag or two off of it… the go hunt/ newberg type, watch my video “pick me” boys made sure everyone knows about everything now…
Wow again. I'm pretty new to all of this. It seems like the systems have been changing dramatically over the past couple 5 year cycles.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Wow again. I'm pretty new to all of this. It seems like the systems have been changing dramatically over the past couple 5 year cycles.
Yep, biggest down fall to Co was when they went from having to front all the money for tags to just paying 10 bucks for a preference point, system was instantly flooded with multiple times the applications. Didn’t help that CO’s population has doubled in size and that every bro and influencer pumps info and “content” so yes it has changed drastically and not for the better

Yep, biggest down fall to Co was when they went from having to front all the money for tags to just paying 10 bucks for a preference point, system was instantly flooded with multiple times the applications.

They will never go back to that model. There is too much money in applications and point schemes to turn the ship around.

KsRancher

WKR
More tags go to resident adults than one would think. Last year in the secondary deer draw resident adults got 61% of the tags and resident youth got 27%. I would say 88% of tags going to residents isn't bad.

Resident adult and youth got 78% in the elk draw. Not too bad if you ask me.

NR youth only getting 5% and 6% in deer and elk doesn't sound so bad either.

Hnthrdr

WKR
They will never go back to that model. There is too much money in applications and point schemes to turn the ship around.
Absolutely correct, and now that there is more interest and less tags to go around, they will continue to pedal the giant Ponzi scheme. Especially things like the “second draw” where they will take in 100’s of thousands of dollars from adults who would have a better chance at winning the powerball than drawing a tag

The blame should be on Colorado first for allowing people to turn tags back in and get their points back. If that wasn’t allowed, far less of the high demand tags would show up on the secondary draw, and then the preference should absolutely go to youth in my opinion.

This process SHOULD be changing soon....stay tuned.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I agree it should be far harder to turn back in tags and get points & money back, I think you draw it you hunt it, or you can turn it in, but you don’t get money and points, pick one. Or be like some states and get squat… as far as the kids go I am completely opposed to favoring any group of people based on arbitrary things. It may sound heartless but it’s an awful precedent. So are you okay with kids getting preference, but what about women? Or people of color? Or indigenous people? ( outside the reservation of course) it’s stupid, give everyone an equal chance.

I agree it should be far harder to turn back in tags and get points & money back, I think you draw it you hunt it, or you can turn it in, but you don’t get money and points, pick one. Or be like some states and get squat… as far as the kids go I am completely opposed to favoring any group of people based on arbitrary things. It may sound heartless but it’s an awful precedent. So are you okay with kids getting preference, but what about women? Or people of color? Or indigenous people? ( outside the reservation of course) it’s stupid, give everyone an equal chance.
I imagine the goal of this rule is to get more youth interested in hunting. Likely, the best way to get youth hooked on hunting is to experience a hunt with slightly better success rates - kind of like taking a kid fishing. Youth usually haven’t had an opportunity to build up years of preference points to draw a good tag unlike the other protected classes listed.

I personally don’t think comparing youth to the other groups is apples to apples but I could be wrong.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I imagine the goal of this rule is to get more youth interested in hunting. Likely, the best way to get youth hooked on hunting is to experience a hunt with slightly better success rates - kind of like taking a kid fishing. Youth usually haven’t had an opportunity to build up years of preference points to draw a good tag unlike the other protected classes listed.

I personally don’t think comparing youth to the other groups is apples to apples but I could be wrong.
In Co it’s not a stretch that they would want to grant preferential treatment to other groups. Kids already receive preferential treatment in the primary draw, there are RFW tags only for kids, and to top it off most tags that a youth hold they can hunt multiple seasons till filled with a cow or doe tag, maximizing chances at success. Do you think kids will only be interested in hunting if they harvest giant bulls and bucks? I don’t I think it’s more the experience and who they are with. If I’m not mistaken kids all over the country who have hunting parents can hunt with them, and won’t lose interest in hunting unless they get a primo Co tag

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
JIMMYRAY5812