The CPW Youth … err Secondary List is out.

Que the cpw shooting out an email add, with “youth get preference” either in the smallest print or not mentioned at all… meanwhile folks will pile in at 8-10 bucks a pop for about every hunt code available… should be criminal
I have never actually looked at the results for the secondary draw. I could have sworn I picked a deer tag up a few years ago on the secondary, but looking at the draw results from last year I am thinking I picked it up leftover.

I don't think I will be applying. I will wait for leftover. I have confidence I can pick up the deer tag I want.

It is pretty funny looking at the number of tags available for 2nd/3rd Rifle Bull in the Northwest region that is typically OTC. Plenty of tags available! LMAO

Why resident youth only? It's not my kid's fault he was born in Iowa.
No its yours! I kid.

Some of us that live here have an issue with a non resident youth getting a opportunity at a tag in the secondary draw when many of us don't have a tag, when the youth already get priority in the regular draw. Besides they should be in school, my dad never took me out of school to go deer hunting. They get enough opportunities as it is.

No its yours! I kid.

Some of us that live here have an issue with a non resident youth getting a opportunity at a tag in the secondary draw when many of us don't have a tag, when the youth already get priority in the regular draw. Besides they should be in school, my dad never took me out of school to go deer hunting. They get enough opportunities as it is.
Sorry about your dad. I think giving kids extra opportunities is great, even if it it's not me or my kid. Difference of opinions.

Why resident youth only? It's not my kid's fault he was born in Iowa.

Because by allowing NR youth to have preference, they’re taking away opportunities from resident youth and adults.

From my perspective, youth preference is to try and get kids interested in hunting. If a kid has the opportunity to do an out of state hunt, their family is probably supportive enough to ensure they have an opportunity in their own state.

I think second draw should be 100% resident preference, but at least put them in the same pool as adults. I’m all for resident youth preference but it’s quite frustrating knowing a NR kid has preference over me as a resident, especially when we don’t have guaranteed tags for deer here in Colorado

Sorry about your dad. I think giving kids extra opportunities is great, even if it it's not me or my kid. Difference of opinions.
My dad is great, he instilled discipline instead of taking me out of school to go on out of state hunting trips. We went hunting plenty on the weekends in the state I was raised in.

Give a kid from Colorado your resident Iowa WT tag then we can talk about opinions. You don't have a dog in the fight.

My dad is great, he instilled discipline instead of taking me out of school to go on out of state hunting trips. We went hunting plenty on the weekends in the state I was raised in.

Give a kid from Colorado your resident Iowa WT tag then we can talk about opinions. You don't have a dog in the fight.
I'd gladly take a kid from another state whitetail hunting. Probably not a fair comparison though. I like to think I can instill discipline (whatever that means?) or raise a good person and also provide them with some pretty awesome out of state hunting trips.

No its yours! I kid.

Because by allowing NR youth to have preference, they’re taking away opportunities from resident youth and adults.

From my perspective, youth preference is to try and get kids interested in hunting. If a kid has the opportunity to do an out of state hunt, their family is probably supportive enough to ensure they have an opportunity in their own state.

I think second draw should be 100% resident preference, but at least put them in the same pool as adults. I’m all for resident youth preference but it’s quite frustrating knowing a NR kid has preference over me as a resident, especially when we don’t have guaranteed tags for deer here in Colorado
Honest question because I don't know anything about the resident draw there, but with exception of returned tags if these tags made it to leftover draw wouldn't you have easily drawn if you put in for those tags? I always figured the leftover game was pretty much tags the R's didn't want.

Honest question because I don't know anything about the resident draw there, but with exception of returned tags if these tags made it to leftover draw wouldn't you have easily drawn if you put in for those tags? I always figured the leftover game was pretty much tags the R's didn't want.
Nope, there are tags on this list that take 5+ points as a resident and double digit points as a NR to draw. Plenty of 1-4 pointers as well. Heck I see a grip of tags… that I put in for and didn’t draw… the tags that have 50+ left are pretty undesirable… usually hard to hunt & they issue a stupid amount of tags to keep populations next to nothing , not great access or private land only tags

I couldn't have said it better. Resident youth is one thing, NR youth preference is outlandish.

That’s another annoying part, no they don’t do a redraw or anything. I think they will go down the line if the tag is 5+ points but I believe at some point they just put it back into the leftover list.

I see a deer and bear tag I applied for and didn’t draw on the list. My friend didn’t draw a bull tag with over 100 available on the list

Back