Issues with stability on my bow hand

As I get better with archery Im starting to realize what I am struggling with. I realize that my hand shakes a lot on my left side like im not stable with it. I am a strong individual so I don't believe it's my arm giving out, but more of my stabilizer might not be set up for what I want.

Is there a thread or anyone who can recommend anything about stabilizers?

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently using an 8in back bar with 4oz and a 10in front bar with 3oz.

For your back bar my guess is a 6-8in with 3-6 oz. You will need to mess with it to see where it balances your bow and accessories best.

For a front bar I settled on a 10in after shooting a 12in for a while. I didn’t see any real improvement so I will stick with a 10in.

Zac

WKR
You are probably collapsing. It's probably your shoulder that is shaking, and you are perceiving it as your hand.

OP
CarlitoElPipo
Your are you sure your hand is shaking? It may be your grip. Can you take a video?
I have a video, I just don’t know how to post it, it’s on my draw arm side tho, so you can see the bow but not as clear as the other side.

Let me try to get the video posted

OP
CarlitoElPipo
You should be able to hold without shaking even without a stabilizer.
Maybe shaking wasn’t the best word to say, when I meant shaking I meant more swaying and exercises I can use to stabilize my hands more so I can aim with less sway. Would a stabilizer help me with swaying?

3forks

WKR
Maybe shaking wasn’t the best word to say, when I meant shaking I meant more swaying and exercises I can use to stabilize my hands more so I can aim with less sway. Would a stabilizer help me with swaying?
You could probably shoot most newer bows without a stabilizer and without it making a significant difference in accuracy of the bow or a dramatic decrease in stability.

If you’re asking to get some ideas for a technique to help you “aim with less sway”, you can try to ensure you’re bow shoulder is down and that you’re driving/pushing with your bow and and pulling against the back wall of your bow with your release hand. That will add some stability.

If you’ve got a good shot process and execution - and trying, but unable to keep your pin on the target - be ready to start getting familiar with the concepts of pin float and target panic.

OP
CarlitoElPipo
You could probably shoot most newer bows without a stabilizer and without it making a significant difference in accuracy of the bow or a dramatic decrease in stability.

If you’re asking to get some ideas for a technique to help you “aim with less sway”, you can try to ensure you’re bow shoulder is down and that you’re driving/pushing with your bow and and pulling against the back wall of your bow with your release hand. That will add some stability.

If you’ve got a good shot process and execution - and trying, but unable to keep your pin on the target - be ready to start getting familiar with the concepts of pin float and target panic.
So my release is a silverback tension release so I've been working on pulling against the back wall but I can't pull that hard because of the trigger being set at 15lb ( I know its high).

I do believe my bow arm is a bit awkward with how im positioning my strength on the bow. I will be taking a video of myself today with my draw and position. Is it possible if I can send it to you as well so you can critique it for me?

I've been in archery for about 3-4 months, and I definitely have a decent shot, 50 yards comfortably, but I definitely have small things to learn that I believe can definitely change my game.

Thank you!

3forks

WKR
So my release is a silverback tension release so I've been working on pulling against the back wall but I can't pull that hard because of the trigger being set at 15lb ( I know its high).

I do believe my bow arm is a bit awkward with how im positioning my strength on the bow. I will be taking a video of myself today with my draw and position. Is it possible if I can send it to you as well so you can critique it for me?

I've been in archery for about 3-4 months, and I definitely have a decent shot, 50 yards comfortably, but I definitely have small things to learn that I believe can definitely change my game.

Thank you!
Don’t take this wrong, but 3 to 4 months in archery is a very short time, and if you don’t have some formal coaching, you can REALLY impact your ability to progress because so much in archery relies on muscle memory and repetition. You don’t want to be forming bad habits.

I’ve seen guys who are new to archery reach a high level of proficiency quickly because they got coaching and it gave them the proper foundation to build on.

By the same token, I’ve also seen guys who were new to archery but just watched YouTube videos and online forums… These guys plateau quickly because they have flaws in their form and shot process that have become limiting factors. For what it’s worth, bows are so good these days that it doesn’t take much to be pretty accurate. The problem is, that if you’re practicing the wrong stuff, you will be frustrated in getting accurate at longer distances because small flaws that you don’t know you have will cause inaccuracies at longer distances.

Online content is a huge asset to have available, but it cannot replace formal coaching, and you don’t want to have a dipshit like me critiquing your shot. I will say that even with coaching, archery can be a sometimes difficult thing to master and chasing accuracy or improvement through buying releases, new bows, sights, stabilizers, won’t make any difference - but getting good coaching absolutely will.

OP
CarlitoElPipo
Don’t take this wrong, but 3 to 4 months in archery is a very short time, and if you don’t have some formal coaching, you can REALLY impact your ability to progress because so much in archery relies on muscle memory and repetition. You don’t want to be forming bad habits.

I’ve seen guys who are new to archery reach a high level of proficiency quickly because they got coaching and it gave them the proper foundation to build on.

By the same token, I’ve also seen guys who were new to archery but just watched YouTube videos and online forums… These guys plateau quickly because they have flaws in their form and shot process that have become limiting factors. For what it’s worth, bows are so good these days that it doesn’t take much to be pretty accurate. The problem is, that if you’re practicing the wrong stuff, you will be frustrated in getting accurate at longer distances because small flaws that you don’t know you have will cause inaccuracies at longer distances.

Online content is a huge asset to have available, but it cannot replace formal coaching, and you don’t want to have a dipshit like me critiquing your shot. I will say that even with coaching, archery can be a sometimes difficult thing to master and chasing accuracy or improvement through buying releases, new bows, sights, stabilizers, won’t make any difference - but getting good coaching absolutely will.
So I was recommend by the guy who set my bow up to watch nocktv and the guy himself went through a couple classes for me free of charge explaining what I should be looking for and my checklist that I go through mentally. I also shoot competitively which obviously has no direct correlation but breathing and trigger control is something im very good at.

Attached is the video of me shooting the bow. Any criticism would be helpful, thank you.

Uploaded.

I realize you probably only have a few feet to shoot in your back yard but-

Draw level and bend at the waist, that will help your shot process in this instance. Try and get a video of you shooting at a further target and that should help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk