.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
Has anyone dropped a large boar with the TMK? Curious to see how it penetrates the "shield".
I have a plan to shoot some with TMK. But 62 grain controlled chaos dropped it DRT. I also have plans to use the AAC 75 grain black tip which should perform similar to the ELDM from hornady.

Drenalin

WKR
I have NOT read all 382 pages of this, so asking ... Is there a FAQ or similar on 223 projectiles that are in the same "class" (e.g., all have "similar" incapacitation results). For example the 77 TMK is touted as a top performer. Is there an equivalent ELDM, ELDX, DRT, etc. and weight that would compare? @Formidilosus if 77 TMK did not exist, what is your 2nd or even 3rd choice.
I'm not Form, but the 73 ELD-M was very effective for me this past season, from pretty close to a little under 400 yards.

philcox

WKR
With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.
For your load (I did not see this in the "cheatsheet") was is the Max Terminal distance for this combo 77 TMK out of a 223? I noted in some post in the bowels that Form talked about "starting at 900y", but it was in response to a question which listed bit 223 and 6.5Cm. So just curious as to what distance the 77/223 is "technically" effective to. Thx.

For your load (I did not see this in the "cheatsheet") was is the Max Terminal distance for this combo 77 TMK out of a 223? I noted in some post in the bowels that Form talked about "starting at 900y", but it was in response to a question which listed bit 223 and 6.5Cm. So just curious as to what distance the 77/223 is "technically" effective to. Thx.

Technically, if you shot it fast enough from the moon it would kill an elephant with the right shot placement. Let's just call it 230,000 miles effective range.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
400-450 yds max effective range for reliable expansion @ above 1800 fps.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have NOT read all 382 pages of this, so asking ... Is there a FAQ or similar on 223 projectiles that are in the same "class" (e.g., all have "similar" incapacitation results). For example the 77 TMK is touted as a top performer. Is there an equivalent ELDM, ELDX, DRT, etc. and weight that would compare? @Formidilosus if 77 TMK did not exist, what is your 2nd or even 3rd choice.

2.26” coal compatible and generally available:

77gr TMK
69gr TMK (sufficient, but less penetration)
73gr ELD-M (sufficient but TC isn’t as long)
77gr Berger OTM (higher upset velocity required)
85gr Barnes MatchBurner (good wound channels with a longer neck length)
62gr Federal Fusion (lower BC)
62 and 75gr Speer Gold Dot (62gr identical to Fusion, 75gr very good wounding)

Potentially the AAC 75gr Saber.

Not 2.26” compatible:

88gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-M
75gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-X

That’s about it for the major ones, though I’m sure there are one or two I am missing. The 77gr TMK is more like the high water mark for all around performance, though it is not the sole good .224 bullet.

Last edited:
OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
1800 fps impact velocity.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone dropped a large boar with the TMK? Curious to see how it penetrates the "shield".
The shield isnt nearly as big of a problem as people think. You may know this, but hogs vitals are much further forward and lower than deer, elk, etc. I think a lot of the lore about pigs being bullet proof is guys aiming behind the shoulder and actually gut shooting them. 1000040123.jpeg

Heres a medium sized sow I shot last winter, 73 eldm. Looks like a great shot, right?

1000040163.jpeg
1000040164.jpeg

Ended up being about 1 inch under the spine, and 1 1/2 inches ahead of the diaphragm. Shoot em low and forward, they die like anything else.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
2.26” coal compatible and generally available:

77gr TMK
69gr TMK (sufficient, but less penetration)
73gr ELD-M (sufficient but TC isn’t as long)
77gr Berger OTM (higher upset velocity required)
85gr Barnes MatchBurner (good wound channels with a longer neck length)
62gr Federal Fusion (lower BC)
62 and 75gr Speer Gold Dot (62gr identical to Fusion, 75gr very good wounding)

Potentially the AAC 75gr Saber.

Not 2.26” compatible:

88gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-M
75gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-X

That’s about it for the major ones, though I’m sure there are one or two I am missing. The 77gr TMK is more like the high water mark for all around performance, though it is not the sole good .224 bullet.
I've never heard of this 85 gr match burner before. It must have a fairly blunt ogive profile to be 2.26" compatible. What kind of velocities would be attainable in a 20" .223? And what would the minimum velocity for upset be?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I've never heard of this 85 gr match burner before. It must have a fairly blunt ogive profile to be 2.26" compatible. What kind of velocities would be attainable in a 20" .223? And what would the minimum velocity for upset be?

From what I’ve seen, you can get 2,700’ish from the 85’s. I haven’t done a lot with the 85gr, what I have seen makes me think it is about like the other MatchBurners- 1,800 to 1,900fps impact is a solid lower limit.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
Hogs aren't near as tough as people make them out to be
I had a "guide" tell me he seen a hog take a 45-70 straight to the head and shake it off and run away. He reccomended large 30 cals minimum. Absolutely no 223 6mm 6.5 etc. I lied and said I had one, shot 2 with my 6.5 prc and absolutely annihilated them. I wish I would have used a smaller gun due to the amount of meat damage. I went in totally confident but it was still wild to see these "tough" animals die in half a second.

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
I had a "guide" tell me he seen a hog take a 45-70 straight to the head and shake it off and run away. He reccomended large 30 cals minimum. Absolutely no 223 6mm 6.5 etc. I lied and said I had one, shot 2 with my 6.5 prc and absolutely annihilated them. I wish I would have used a smaller gun due to the amount of meat damage. I went in totally confident but it was still wild to see these "tough" animals die in half a second.
lmao that's funny, I've killed hundreds in traps with a 22lr to the head.