Colorado Secondary draw

Yep all those dads stealing tags. I am thankful that Colorado put youth 1st. I wish they would never change that for the 2nd draw. Enjoyed a great week of hunting with family. Never once told my son what deer to shoot. If it was me we might have been done day one. He decided to take it to the end and passed tons of smaller bucks. We never road hunted besides getting from one spot to the other.
This was a unit he or I will likely never draw again. And my dad pulled out an OTC bull. Great trip. Colorado don’t change a thing for the second draw beside maybe losing points if you draw a tag in one the higher point units. It’s not like kids are nocking down the door when it comes to hunting and a week in the mountain is worth a life time. Why not give them 1st chance on a tag that was returned or not purchased.
That's about as good as it gets right there. I'll never understand the sentiment of being jealous of kids having a shot at the tags.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The youth preference in the first draw has become pretty popular. My daughter didn't draw the cow ML tag that she normally draws this year because more youth applied this year than there were tags available (15% youth preference), but ended up getting it in the secondary draw with still low odds with the number of youth applying.

Last year was the first year that we needed to take advantage of the "youth extended season". She drew both ML cow elk and moose last year, so we took care of moose first and then she had a prior commitment at the end of the season, so we hunted a later rifle season on that cow tag. It turned out to be a great experience for both of us. We saw several hundred elk including one stud bull, easily 100+ deer, and a couple dozen bighorn sheep in only a day and a half, all on public land.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ll be unpopular. Youth preference should be for Co R kids only, that’s who I’m more worried about getting opportunities. For NR lobby your states to up youth preference, if your kids don’t have access to tags, which I’m sure they have access to plenty. Not Co’s job to give NR kids tags

I’ll be unpopular. Youth preference should be for Co R kids only, that’s who I’m more worried about getting opportunities. For NR lobby your states to up youth preference, if your kids don’t have access to tags, which I’m sure they have access to plenty. Not Co’s job to give NR kids tags
Is it really worth complaining about 5% of the draw though? Just seems like it's a bit nitpicky.

Elk results
59% R adult
20% NR adult
17% R youth
5% NR youth

I said it was unpopular haha 😆 I’d rather those go to R youth
I hear what you're saying, but with only 17% going to R youth with 100% preference I'm guessing there's not enough applying anyway, so I don't think we're pitting R youth against NR youth here. Seems like all the youth who wanted tags got them, and the adults get the rest.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I hear what you're saying, but with only 17% going to R youth with 100% preference I'm guessing there's not enough applying anyway, so I don't think we're pitting R youth against NR youth here. Seems like all the youth who wanted tags got them, and the adults get the rest.
Definitely being nit picky haha are there any other states offering this type of opportunity? Would be neat if other states gave a fraction of the opportunity Co does for NR hunters. I’m guessing if there are you just run into not enough public ground issues, any NR hunters want to share about youth opportunities your states offer for NR youth?

Definitely being nit picky haha are there any other states offering this type of opportunity? Would be neat if other states gave a fraction of the opportunity Co does for NR hunters. I’m guessing if there are you just run into not enough public ground issues, any NR hunters want to share about youth opportunities your states offer for NR youth?
Plenty of other states, the issue is nobody wants to hunt them lol. Here in TX any NR, youth or otherwise, can walk up and buy a license and have 5 deer, but it's not the same allure as Elk in the mountains obviously. The public lands available would be pretty difficult for the younger youth as well, but mountain hunting isn't exactly easy either. As for this secondary draw discussion though, with 22% going to all youth combined that have 100% preference there's a lot of tags to cover before it's time to worry about pitting R against NR for youth I think.

Chrisamx

FNG
I'm not sorry that CPW "stole" your money.

If anyone doesn't know that an adult doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of drawing a decent tag off of the secondary list, then they must have their head buried in the sand, DEEP....

I don't feel sorry for anyone who blindly applies and if anything, it agitates me that people are applying for tags that don't know this because that shows me how much they actually care to even know the very basics of the application system.
The application systems, anywhere, are meant to be confusing and money making.

Unit i put in for which i have hunted several times had 10+ tags left. Youth got 3 and an even split between R and NR adults. Problem is 200 people put in for it :)

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
It's apples to oranges, but in my home state of Pennsylvania, there is no R/NR distinction for elk. Everyone has an equal chance (bonus point system). A very, very, very small chance as there are only 140 total tags for 2024. Oh, and by the way, the application cost is exactly the same for R/NR.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I was at the bow shop last Saturday and a Father and his 17 year old son came in. Dad needed to get his son setup because "he drew a pretty good archery elk tag". Daddy bought him s Hoyt RX8 Ultra completely decked out. At least there was a month and a half to practice before season

I was at the bow shop last Saturday and a Father and his 17 year old son came in. Dad needed to get his son setup because "he drew a pretty good archery elk tag". Daddy bought him s Hoyt RX8 Ultra completely decked out. At least there was a month and a half to practice before season
Sounds absurd for sure, however this kind of accomplishes the goal for youth. That dad finally bought his son the bow he should've bought a long time prior and the kid is finally going archery hunting.