The 22 creedmoor thread

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Was able to get out and shoot this morning. Closing in on spring so of course we got a foot of snow. Not my best performance but was able to shoot a 10 round group to get a rough zero on the rifle. 4 degrees while I was shooting, and sun, made groups difficult, mirage was strong. I really dislike shooting in snow.0ADB4076-82CE-495B-9830-245062281871.jpeg

This was shots 10-20. Shows some promise, looking forward to shooting this in some more ideal conditions.

I did have 2 hang fires. Which worries me a little as it gets much colder occasionally than this. Next barrel I’ll probably go LRP for the brass.
58105A67-2CBD-46F7-AEBD-3CB8A885E079.jpeg

Shot another few rounds at 400 yards. Really am liking this so far. Spotting hits is very easy, recoil is next to nothing.

I’m going to load up the remainder and likely break it in at a prairie dog town this spring

I shot some more today too. Tried 2 powders again, H4350 and H4831. 2 5 round groups of each at 2 different CBTO. Was hoping the 4831 would be better as it seems it would be easier on barrel life being a slower burning powder. The 4350 is getting me about 100 fps faster and more consistent numbers and better groups.

Red is CBTO. Blue is powder.
c2883d1cb548a8ceea24732a2f5d4cac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was able to get out and shoot this morning. Closing in on spring so of course we got a foot of snow. Not my best performance but was able to shoot a 10 round group to get a rough zero on the rifle. 4 degrees while I was shooting, and sun, made groups difficult, mirage was strong. I really dislike shooting in snow.View attachment 521282

This was shots 10-20. Shows some promise, looking forward to shooting this in some more ideal conditions.

I did have 2 hang fires. Which worries me a little as it gets much colder occasionally than this. Next barrel I’ll probably go LRP for the brass.
View attachment 521283

Shot another few rounds at 400 yards. Really am liking this so far. Spotting hits is very easy, recoil is next to nothing.

I’m going to load up the remainder and likely break it in at a prairie dog town this spring
I've seen comments about hang fires, and outright misfires, several times with the SRP brass. I've tested both of my .22 CM rifles down to as low as -25 below. Using Lapua 6 CM SRP brass, CCI 450's and RL 26. We had a cold snap here in SW Montana right before Christmas where it got down to -38. I figured if I was going to test the ignition then was the time to do it. By the time I got to the range it had warmed up to 25 below. I sat the rifle and ammo on the bench and got back in the pickup for 30 minutes. Everything went bang as it should and the accuracy was excellent as always. I've done a fair amount of work on actions over the years and have studied the ignition characteristics of Remingtions and the clones. Ignition is dependent on 3 things. Spring pressure, firing pin fall and firing pin weight. Add all that up and you get enough energy to dent the primer deep enough to have good ignition.
You may have a issue with one of the 3 components. You should have a dry firing pin in cold weather. Probably too much information so far so I'll shut it down for now. Good luck with your rifle. The .22 CM is a great round.

Yep. Dropped on the spot, no exit, couple drops of blood on the ground from the entry. I did not investigate further though.

I suspected that. Mostly was wondering about an exit. A coyote head on is still a lot of critter to travel through. Nice work!

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I've seen comments about hang fires, and outright misfires, several times with the SRP brass. I've tested both of my .22 CM rifles down to as low as -25 below. Using Lapua 6 CM SRP brass, CCI 450's and RL 26. We had a cold snap here in SW Montana right before Christmas where it got down to -38. I figured if I was going to test the ignition then was the time to do it. By the time I got to the range it had warmed up to 25 below. I sat the rifle and ammo on the bench and got back in the pickup for 30 minutes. Everything went bang as it should and the accuracy was excellent as always. I've done a fair amount of work on actions over the years and have studied the ignition characteristics of Remingtions and the clones. Ignition is dependent on 3 things. Spring pressure, firing pin fall and firing pin weight. Add all that up and you get enough energy to dent the primer deep enough to have good ignition.
You may have a issue with one of the 3 components. You should have a dry firing pin in cold weather. Probably too much information so far so I'll shut it down for now. Good luck with your rifle. The .22 CM is a great round.

I don’t know what the deal is. The rifle is a tikka, and the firing pin is dry, checked when I got home. Iv shot a lot of SRP creedmoor brass but only Lapua to this point. Tikkas seem to have a pretty solid slap on the primer. This rifle has had around 1k rounds through it and this is the first Iv had an issue.

It was a surprise the two shots that I had hang fires on. I guess more testing is in order.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I suspected that. Mostly was wondering about an exit. A coyote head on is still a lot of critter to travel through. Nice work!

The 88 ELDM is a great bullet - haven’t had the chance to load my 22 Creed yet, but I shot a coyote at 600 yards with the 88 ELDM out of my 22” 22-250 AI. Complete pass through at that distance on a broadside shot.

I shot a mule deer buck at 315 yards the next day with the same load. No exit but the buck was down in about 15 seconds. Chest cavity was definitely sloshing around.

Looking forward to using them in my 22 Creed soon as well.

Last edited:

jri

FNG
no luck with 88 eld started at 39 h4350 bolt started to lift hard at 41.5 going to shorten it up a little today and see if that helps

Did some more pressure testing with my once fired brass today. Alpha SRP brass. 88 ELD-M. Tested H4350 again as well as R16 and R22.

Hit pressure with H4350 at 40 grs. Virgin brass I was seeing ejector marks at less then that. 39.5 grs was a good load with the virgin brass. I’ve got 10 loaded up to group shoot at that charge.

R16 hit pressure at 39.5 grs and not as good of speed. Won’t be using this powder.

R22 intrigued me. Got up to 46.5 grs with no pressure signs and a pretty full case so I stopped. Speed was pretty good as well. Have 10 loaded up to group at 46 grs.

This is the R22 target. 13 different powder charges. Seems fairly consistent over the wide range. Shot numbers are not the right order, but close.

c348e9f38900d82c34aa392587c0ce8d.jpg

khuber84

WKR
My 22cm is also on a PVA Osprey 3b barrel but my usual smith(Manzella Precision) fit it to a bat bumblebee action, finished the barrel at 18" with a 5/8x24 muzzle. Run an ultra 7 bang muffler. Barreled action sits in an element 4.0 magnesium chassis. My breakin load was 40gr H4350 with 75eldm, 39gr H4350 with 85.5 hyb, 88eldm and 90 atips. The heavier stuff run 3050 or so, 75s at 3150. All bullets seated 30k off lands. My smith cut this with a 100fb reamer, but added another 30k with my throated. I've had this rifle in hand since September and I just now finally got all 200x pcs brass fireformed and barrels all sped up, gained about 75fps from initial 20, to last 20 rounds. The 85.5 Berger, 75 eldm and 90 atips all shot very well 88s needed some tuning. I'll likely just use this in my 22br match rifle. Real load development to start this spring. My nephew and myself killed a few deer with the 75eldm load going 3150 this last season, 2 medium body mukie bucks, on 260y other 470y. Lil bullet did excellent with lots of damage, and even exited in both instances. These lil high velocity 22s aren't to be messed with, plenty of killing power.

SouthPaw

WKR
Good thread.

I'm in. Got a 22" 7.5tw tikka prefit barrel on order from PBB. Looking forward to hunting with it next fall.

Last edited:

jri

FNG
Did it lack accuracy or speed?

I just got some h4831sc to try.
accuracy was very bad 1-8 twist 22 in barrel. h100 with 77 gr lapua and Superformance 60 gr amax are awesome but i did not check speed. etersons website hase some great info on 22 creed .

I have 2 .22 CM rifles. Here’s one at 400 meters on a 10 inch plate. 69 gr Scenar with a stiff load of RL26. Just a touch over .500.

Attachments

• 3EBEE844-54A5-4155-9995-E23E382B0145.jpeg
    3EBEE844-54A5-4155-9995-E23E382B0145.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: jri